Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Some Brute/Adidas Numbers

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Some Brute/Adidas Numbers Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of HB
posted   Report This Post  
I counted 109 Nebraska entries but of course they are still getting entries in and have yet to input many more so there could maybe be 20-30 more. Nebraska has approximately 3000 freshmen, sophomores and juniors that compete each winter. So right now we have about 3% of those eligible for this tournament competing this weekend. I have heard from some people that their kids are still healing up from the season and that's legit. Even though 109 entries seems like quite a few, it's really not in the big scheme of things. Where are all our state champions at?

On a sidenote, Nebraska has 7 wrestlers competing at senior nationals this weekend. Our neighbor to the south, Kansas, has 47. Our neighbor to the West, which has about half the population we do, Wyoming, has 13. What's wrong with that picture?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HB,
Junior High
Picture of PitBullJim
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
quote:
I counted 109 Nebraska entries

HB, how many Nebraska entries were there last year?

How many were state champions or state qualifiers?

HEADSTRONG: It's an especially apt, single-word description for the fearless approach to life - a stubborn, uncompromising dedication to doing it your own way, regardless of the consequences.
Rookie
I think that we have many wrestlers competing in HS Wrestling who are not committed to the sport year round. Many play soccer, are out for track or just need to work. I believe that wrestling is becoming an expensive sport and that taps families that are barely getting by.
I don't think it's a matter of not "wanting to", i think its a matter of not being able to. Thats why i think that each organization, Huskerland, USA and AAU should work together to have some discretionary funds to help kids get to some of these events they would like to attend if money is an issue.

World Champion
Picture of HB
Was just looking at the entries and it looks like a fantastic tournament. Numbers are up from last year, even going head to head against Reno, USA Cadets and Junior Nationals. I imagine Many state champions, multiple time placers. Lots of great kids from Missouri and Kansas. Kids better be ready to go.
Rookie
quote:
On a sidenote, Nebraska has 7 wrestlers competing at senior nationals this weekend. Our neighbor to the south, Kansas, has 47. Our neighbor to the West, which has about half the population we do, Wyoming, has 13. What's wrong with that picture

The Kansas team that is going is very very talented.
Rookie
Didn't know if anyone cared but thought I could put this in there. It includes senior record along with High School career record.

Wt. Name School Sr.
112 Seth Metzler Newton 34-2 102-33
119 Paul Owings Plainville 39-1 121-20
119 Isaac Wall Andover 34-3
125 Keaton Baker Blue Valley 41-2 131-27
125 Tim Elliott Wichita South 29-2 115-14
130 Grant Baker Blue Valley 44-1 117-35
130 Josh Baldridge Campus 31-0 137-5
135 Levi Younkin Oakley 31-0 124-6
135 Cale Farber Hoxie 35-7 124-31
135 Josh Peterson Abilene 25-4 112-30
135 Aaron Bingham Manhattan 33-4 104-23
140 Brady LaMar Silver Lake 17-2 105-25
140 Kenny Tyler West Elk 38-0 134-11
140 Jared Patterson Maize 38-7 117-34
145 Joseph Cornejo Campus 35-1 144-7
145 Danny Grater Clay Center 37-0 144-7
145 Mike Carrington Blue Valley West
152 Nicholas Zahm Columbus 33-2 116-30
152 Jesse Harris Maize 35-5
152 Jeremy Mellies Silver Lake 35-7
160 Spencer Burns Cimarron 38-2 130-20
160 Curtis Chenoweth
160 Nick Newell Mankato
160 Ross Taplin Abilene 41-0 144-6
160 Brandon Wise Pittsburg 27-2 124-?
171 Robert Malloy Shawnee Heights 43-1 149-26
171 Ryan Sonderegger Shawnee Mission East 44-2 135-27
171 Justin Wiscombe Santa Fe Trail 41-0
142-20
171 Dustin Foster Sedgwick
189 Tyler Gonzales Shawnee Heights 36-5 116-22
189 Neil Cisper St.Thomas Aquinas 43-1 131-17
189 Chris Pursel Atchison Co.
215 Jacob Marrs Clay Center 22-1
215 Allyn Plattner Sabetha 32-4 116-30
215 Ryan Sponsel Bishop Carroll 36-3 106-15
275 Michael Sprigg Norton Community 20-0 120-20

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gocke in Kansas,
Junior High
didn't you have to teach today?
Wow.
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
Concerning the Brute National tournament numbers from last year ... so that it can be compared to this year ...

This is what I have unofficially come up with; by looking at the brackets:

LAST YEARS numbers:

127 entrants from Nebraska from last year out of about 600 entrants total

So, if there is over 800 entrants this year; it is a pretty decent improvement over 600 of last year. However, 109 wrestlers from Nebraska this year is not better than the 127 of last year.

This is the list of wrestlers from LAST year at the tournament (again, unofficial) :

Freshmen:

103 (4,18)
Andrew Mitchell
Nick Meneely
Jordan Stoup
Clay Wakefield

112 (6,20)
Austin Gessieman
Tell Wertze
Matt Groghan
Jarrod Weins
George Faulconbrid
Josh Younghans

119 (2,16)
Owen Madden
Chad Brester

125 (3,16)
Travis Kuhn
Zane Starks
Greg Garcia

130 (4,12)
Blake Fastnacht
Nate High
Matthew Schrader
Jake Smith

135 (2,9)
Matt Mueller
Brandon Doyle

140 (0,4)

145 (3,10)
Jeremy Small
Nick Beaty
Mitchell Brown

152 (6,14)
Jesh Wright
Joseph Bramer
Josh Hammond
Donavon Winters
Ty Brown
Dewey Bowers

160 (0,4)

171 (4,7)
Trevor Spudich
Zach Nielsen
Chris Johnson
Tyler Schrader

189 (3,9)
Landon Franklin
Jesse Frizzel
Derrik Bundy

215 (2,7)
Neil Bowman
Jesse Leeling

275 (2,7)
Taylor Escamilla
Patrick Fletcher

Sophmores:

103 (2,13)
Derrick Guthard
Anthony Doyle

112 (1,21)
Steve Wehner

119 (7,21)
Matt Vacanti
Ryan Bartley
Devon Kastler
Adam Karpisek
Jesse West
Brian Lawrence
Bridger Chytka

125 (5,27)
Clint McCrea
T.J. Glock
Derrick Marx
Logan Isom
Brody Mayberry- NE

130 (5,15)
Jay Sherer
Nate Liebert
Josh Muirheid
Jon bruner
Casey Gubbles

135 (5,18)
Anthony Kobus
Stephen Medina
Kegan Scheckler
Zac Randal
Chris Hiligren

140 (4,14)
Aaron Denson
Tyler Jensen
Matt Stone
Cody Leifeld

145 (1,9)
Brady Harringtor

152 (2,8)
Andrew Daro
Jason Magill

160 (5,16)
Jordan Haas
Craig Sanne
Wesley Cooper
Drew Molacek
Justin Kelly

171 (5,18)
Josh Marcum
Curtis Price
Luke Coufal
L.A. Adams
Micah Laufenberg

189 (1,10)
Jake Smith

215 (4,10)
James Walden
Jeff Hamilton
Dom Frizzel
Aaron Terry

275 (4,10)
Anthony Sjuts
Brent Fiala
Nate Dudley
Cody Lange

Juniors:

103 (1,5)
Curtis Miller

112 (2,9)
Lewis Gutierrez
Dru Kastler

119 (1,17)
Matt Jacobsen

125 (3,15)
Terrance Broadwell
Jake Muirheid
Brandon Gifford

130 (3,22)
Blake Gayer
Patrick Lamkin
Jeremy Zink

135 (4,24)
Andrew Shanahan
Andrew Wiens
Ryan Etherton
Adam Kester

140 (2,18)
Danny Norwood
Jared Meister

145 (4,23)
John Stolberg
Eric Rybecki
Andrew Sorenson
Ryan Schledwitz

152 (3,18)
Jim Small
Joe Herman
Tyler Gutierrez

160 (5,17)
Josh Magill
Derek Schroeder
Nate Hartman
Craig Brester
Kyle Ochsner

171 (3,12)
Levi Wofford
Austin Vermeline
Dan Bargen

189 (1,22)
James Kastl

215 (1,8)
Troy Schmid

275 (2,11)
Tanner Sherlock
Cole Matthes
Junior Varsity
Picture of 4Huskers
We went last year and are going this weekend (if he get's over being sick) and I know one thing that's discussed is the cost, but yet how many are willing to drive (gas) and motel ($$) to another tournament and spend way more. We like to go because some of the competition is great and that's what it takes to get better. Yes, you have the chance to lose all, but if you don't face the better ones, how do you know what to do to get that way? Just venting a little.

World Champion
Picture of HB
All the entries aren't accounted for yet but I would say there will be 150 Nebraska wrestlers. Very poor though for the amount of exposure we gave this tournament. Oh well, can't say we didn't try to keep the tournament here.
Rookie
H.B.......... So What does the over all numbers look like then ? Will there be brackets posted before the tourney Thanks

World Champion
Picture of HB
They should be over 800 which is up 150 from last year. That is great considering all the other stuff going on. I don't know when the pools will be up but I assume by Friday night.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
This is a great chance for our Nebraska wrestlers . Wish we could be there but are trying to put together $ for Maine Exchange . Some thing to think about from our side of the state.
2 nights motel 180.00
gas 120.00
Admition Mom & Dad 80.00
Coachs pass 75.00
entry fee 40.00
Meals ect. 250.00

Total 745.00

If you wrestled last weekends Midwest Classic Add another 500.00. Thats over 1200.00 in two weekends.

We can't do it!

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger

Rookie
For what's it's worth:

I believe there are several reasons Nebraska wrestlers aren't competing in this tourney or other high profile national events. It begins with the nubmer of athletes that dare to compete at that level. There may be dozen, maybe 2 dozen tops.....not much more that I see on the travelling circuit. The reason kids don't compete at this level is two-fold, the first is that many believe this level belongs to an elitist group of athletes that are state champion material. If you look around and see who the travelers are......you'd have to agree with that perception. They're either state champions are serious contenders for that title. The 2nd is the associated costs. As Go4Zpin put it in his post. It's very expensive and sacrifices have to be made. My wife reminds me that wrestling is a luxury and not an necessity and will be cut in our house to balance the family budget due to rising fuel costs and the impact it will have on the rest of our fiscal resources.

Another reason many athletes aren't competing is because of spring sport obligations. In our school, athletes are discouraged from participating in off-season club events if it interferes with or detracts from the spring sport.

Getting back to the costs for this event. $40 for an entry fee?.......$75 for a coach's pass?......Are you Nuts!!!!! You go to RMN's and pay $30-$35 entry fee.....wrestle anywhere from a 64 to 128 man bracket and get booku matches. A $40 coach's pass and $25 general admission pass is good for all 3 days.

We're going to Brute/Adidas for the competition......but I refuse to pay the highway robbery for a coach's pass. My wife and other kids won't be attending because of the high cost of admission. There should be family passes and possibly a proportionate coach's pass fee based upon the number of athletes registered to compete.

I agree with Go4zpin & Nina with regards to the costs vs. numbers relationship and this tourney. Our state simply has too few athletes that compete at this level...and those that do are spread too thin over to many events. They simply can't do it all and must somehow try to figure out how to finance what off-season events they'll do this summer and which one's are the best bang for the buck.

Last year at the Cadet Duals I spoke with coach's from other states and several indicated that the cost to their athletes were minimal. Their respective state organization fronts much of the costs for the individual athlete and the athletes compete for next to nothing. For whatever reason, we are too disjointed in Nebraska for that to happen so consequently our athletes suffer and so does the respect our various programs.
Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
Chuck,
If you and Jay ever need a place to crash while in Lincoln drop me a line, if we are going to be around you can certianly stay with us. Just drop me an e-mail.
Tom

hawk

Rookie
Picture of grapplinman
I don't generally post, but I guess that this is one worthy of jumping in on, so here goes nothing!

Many of the issues brought up by folks here are pretty legit when it comes to Nebraska kids and off-season wrestling. However, some of these are to be expected. When you talk about the spring sports committment. You bet this is a real issue. However, I might point out that there are a lot of coaches out there that don't want to open the wrestling room in the spring and summer and that don't want to actively work to train their kids. I think this is an issue in Nebraska as well. When you attend (just the local off season circuit)various wrestling tournaments in the spring and summer you see very few of our high school coaches. Without a push from them, I think it is hard to expect a kid to continue on after the regular season. I can name on my fingers and toes the names of the coaches that are active; this is a stark contrast to the over 200 programs we have in the state.

Chuck, you were talking about the costs and so forth. I was doing a little math. I find that using the Rocky Mountain Nationals as your example might not be the best. Right now with gas being 2 plus per gallon, having an event right here in Nebraska is certainly worth the five or ten extra bucks for entry. The Burr in your saddle is on the coaches pass. There are certainly ways around having to have that coaches pass (and I mean without being illegal.) For instance, Shawn Charles is still 15 workers short for the tournament. If you volunteer, you can get in free, you can eat free, and you can coach your kid free. Can't beat that with a stick, can you? I would say this would attractive to anyone who has financial concerns. Hey, and with all the refereeing you do, you should have some pretty good jingle to go along with that Captain's salary......So don't blame it on your wife!

Last note: Most of these, so called, national tournaments are nothing more than Regional Tournaments. I can think of only one tournament that really has the full National Flavor, and that is Junior Nationals in Fargo. Now, I haven't see you there, Chuck, but it truly is the king of the hill in all its radiant splendor. That aside let's look at the cost per match of various events and the level of competition. This is what we really need to look at:

1. Maine Exchange - $700+ for six matches
2. Rocky Mountain Nationals - $35 for 2-8 matches
3. Brute - $40 for 3 to 9 matches
4. Cadet or Junior Duals: $300 for 12-18 matches
5. Disney Duals: $700 for 8-12 matches
6. Grand Nationals: $40 for 8-20 matches
7. Fargo: $600 for 4 to 16 matches

The list goes on and on. you all can do the math.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
I would like to follow up with csherer’s post as to why wrestlers are not competing at high profile events. I agree with a lot of what csherer is saying as to why they are not competing, but I would like to go deeper into the root of the problem.

The reason the kids traveling are the elite wrestlers are because they are traveling and finding the tougher competition not necessarily because they are naturally better. I can go on and on about average wrestlers that made themselves into elite wrestlers by the extra work and quality competition. I understand how difficult it is for someone to travel 12 hours to Minot, ND only to get beat out, I have been there before. You just have to pick out an event or two to travel to and get quality work outs in, eventually it will all pay off. Everyone’s family situation is different; at our house we cut out other luxury items like going out to movies or out for dinner rather than cut out the wrestling. It has been tough at times but if something is important to you, you can always find a way to make it happen. Csherer and Go4Zpin are right it is expensive at times and sometimes it forces you to make a choice. You can not make all events just do as much as you can.

In regards to other state organizations financing their wrestlers. The reason they are able to do that better than we are is because the state organizations get better support from their clubs and better participation at their events. In other states every club joins an organization. In Nebraska we have many clubs that do not even belong to an organization. Those clubs think they can save a couple of dollars by not paying club charter fees. Those clubs are short sighted and do not see that they are part of the problem of keeping wrestling down in Nebraska. By keeping wrestling down in Nebraska they are also keeping their own wrestlers down. They may go on to have success at the high school level, but how many have success at the next level?

To get to the point, as far as USA participation goes, other states sell 5000 or more cards at a price of $30 to $40 a piece while Nebraska sells about 1000 at $25 a piece. People complain about Nebraska’s price, but we are by far the cheapest in the nation. Other states make up to an extra $15 dollars off their cards which at 5000 can come to $75,000. Their state tournament participation is in the thousands and the qualifier tournaments are also in the thousands. With that kind of participation there can be well over $100,000 extra available to fund the kids. I know of one state that has over a million dollars in their bank because of their participation. Of course these are large populous states, but even if we got ½ the participation from all the individuals and clubs then Nebraska would be in good shape to help many kids financially.

The state organizations themselves (AAU, USA, and Huskerland) are working very closely together. Some reason people outside the organizations do not believe that, but if you look at the USA/Huskerland card this year and the financial support Huskerland gives to USA and AAU you can see that they are actually working together. Now that the organizations are working together is comes down to the clubs and individuals supporting the organizations in order for Nebraska wrestling to reach the next level.

The bottom line is. The elite wrestlers are not traveling because they are elite; rather they became elite because they traveled. Don’t blame the organizations for lack of support because they are doing all they can do by providing the opportunities and giving ALL they can back to the kids. The state organizations will only be able to help if the clubs and individuals support the organizations.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
I would also like to respond to Grapplinman. In order to compare apples to apples you have to add hotel and travel expenses in some of those costs because if you are not within approximately 60 miles of the events there will be hotel costs. The following are adjustments for estimated hotel and travel expenses (and some corrections on costs):

1. Maine Exchange - $700+ for 4-6 matches (I think Maine is cheaper this year?)
2. Rocky Mountain Nationals - $335 for 2-8 matches
3. Brute - $240 for 3 to 9 matches (much less if you live near Lincoln)
4. Cadet or Junior Duals: $270 for 12-18 matches
5. Disney Duals: $700 for 8-12 matches
6. Grand Nationals: $440 for 6-20 matches (much less when it comes to Nebraska)
7. Fargo: $505 for 4 to 22 matches (price includes meals for 2 weeks)

Obviously some of the travel and hotel expenses can be saved by car pooling and staying with other travelers.

If you are looking at strictly cost per match then the best bang for your buck is the Cadet and Junior duals with Brute Nationals next. In my opinion you have to look at more than just the matches. What else do you get for your money. My opinion is that the best bang for your buck is Fargo even if you go 0-4. There is no match for the quality of matches that you would get at Fargo. Not only that you get a week long camp, training 3 times a day with the best wrestlers in the state and sometimes some of the best in the nation. Throw in the clothing packet (2 singlets, jacket, shirt, and shorts) and meals for 2 weeks as a bonus. The matches are only a small percentage of what makes you better, the training along with the matches is what makes you better.

I could go on and on about experiencing the level of competition, seeing what it takes to get to that level, and many other arguments as to why Fargo is the best bang for your buck even over the duals, but that would take too much writing (which I have already written too much). Maybe HB could make it a special radio show sometime and we could discuss what it takes to get to the next level.

I am not bashing anyone’s opinions rather offering my own. I think that this is a great topic and a lot of interest for those that are not sure how to reach the next level. I am also not bashing Brute Nationals rather I think that it is a great event and hope we keep it here in Nebraska. I also believe that unless there is a good reason everyone in this state should support this event. I do think that there are other factors that may hurt this event in the future, but I will not discuss them on a public forum. Hopefully we can find a way to work around the issues. Best of luck to everyone at Brute (especially the Bennington wrestlers!).