Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Shoutout to

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Shoutout to Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of HB
posted   Report This Post  
Incoming freshman Will Schany of Blair who is down kicking tail and taking names at the UNL team camp.

So far has just one loss but has beaten state placers from Oklahoma and Wyoming and just beat an Iowa 2A state runner-up. Keep up the good work Will!
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
No one really cares about a summer camp. Plenty of State place winners get beat by Fosh.
What about Cadet and Jr. Duals, that's were the the best kids have been at.
This week some of the best Kids in the state are in Utah at the kids National Tourny.
Junior High
Picture of Cornfed
I agree that a lot of good kids get beat at summer camps. i have been around will schany quite a bit at some major tournaments this year and he is as physical and mentally tough as you could ask for and just doesnt quit. hes gonna beat some good ones in season as well. also one of the nicest and most respectful kids you will meet.

World Champion
Picture of HB
Novice
And that's partly why things are like they are in NE wrestling. We have kids at nationals, others that are getting back from the duals and/or getting ready for Fargo and we have our mod (HB) given Kudo's for a kid at NE wrestling camp. what a joke
Junior High
Give me a BREAK!
What is wrong is that this kid is wrestling and someone gives him some props and others discount it.
who cares what style he is wrestling? He may be doing some team building with his future team!
Oh, that's what a team camp is partially about maybe?

He could be playing basketball right now, hell, worse, playing soccer. We need all the positives we can get, we don't need to bash each other. The kid is WRESTLING! Celebrate it.

And to you guys before who were saying oh so elequently that a lot of people get beat in the summer time (state place winners by incoming freshman? Yeah I have heard the Dan Gable-Bob Buzzard story too)( BUT, I still am surprised at you!):

He worked by day and toiled by night.
He gave up play and some delight.
Dry books he read, new things to learn,
and forged ahead, success to earn.
He plodded on with faith and pluck;
And when he won, men called it luck
Iowa Wrestling Team
9 NCAA championships in a row

Now maybe you think HB is pointing him out unfairly, but come on.

World Champion
Picture of HB
How about this suggestion to all you people on here wound up like a top: I'll give praise to whoever the hell I want to for whatever the hell I think is worthy. You guys practice your First Amendment rights and do the same. And afterwards we'll all hold hands and sing Kumbaya and give praise to God for the great gift of life. Hallelujah and happy 4th of July.

World Champion
Picture of HB
And FYI, Will Schany is a great wrestler and a super kid. And he's going to ruin a lot of days for opposing wrestlers starting in a few months.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
I gained way more from camps than I did national tournaments. How many opportunities will a kid get to pick the brain of some of the best coaches and wrestlers in the countty? I always left better than I came.
Rookie
i know will very well from having him at our club during the summer time and yes he is a very great wrestler will be very good in high school...i have wrestled freestyle and greco every summer since i was 8 and have always come to be a better wrestler after every summer season. if we were talking about this maybe 6 years ago then i would of said that doing the freestyle and greco is only going to make you a better wrestler the next season...but now a days we have some of the best college wrestling this country can offer and they are all having camps every summer teaching kids to be better folkstyle wrestlers instead of freeco...kids from all over the country are wanting to come to these camps so you dont really need to go to the big national tournaments to become better.....keep up the good work Will and good luck in high school.
Rookie
Was at the team camp this week and he was very impressive. He has added on about ten pounds since Spring and for a freshman to wrestle at that level and beat those kids was quite an accomplishment. Most of those matches were on the same day. He is physically and mentally tough and will do very well this upcoming season!
Rookie
HB, I'm with ya. Its a damn shame some people have to belittle a wrestler that is out there in the off season trying to better himself, as most kids are not doing anything during the off season.

Unfortunately I did not get to see him wrestle this weekend as I was focused on the other pool at the camp. Sounds like a great kid and I wish him all the luck next year.
State Qualifier
I dont think anyone belittled the kid,more of just questioning why Ross gets on a certain kid, and all of the sudden he is the next best thing to sliced bread, and no one else matters. It's his board so,he is the ultimate prognosticator, deal with it, or you will be ruled a troll.
Rookie
There are some pretty stupid people out there. Going to slam some kid for going to a GOOD camp instead of national events? Camps are just as important to the wrestler as any national tournament especially an incoming freshman trying to build a relationship with his teammates.
Novice
Picture of ArmBar
Camps and top-level competition both have their place. It depends on where the wrestler is at in their development. Beating top-level national competition can be a real confidence booster, just as doing well at a team camp. The important thing is the wrestler is getting something good from the experience and having fun. After all, wrestling is a long journey to make it at the next level Smile
Junior High
Picture of Red Sox
Giving kids praise is never a bad thing to do in my opinion. What weight class will Schany wrestle at? I think there are going to be a few kids in Class B this year that are going to come in and be solid at higher weights that usually older wrestlers do well at (Thatcher from Crete, Poteet from Crete, Hayek from Seward).

Chad Mattox
Junior Varsity
Let me tell you something. Yes, there's good kids wrestling national tourneys right now. But there was NO shortage of great wrestlers at UNL's team camp. We take our team there each year and we gain more from that camp than most of the other wrestling our kids do. Let's see, I guess teams like Edmon Oklahoma, Perry Oklahoma, Yukon Oklahoma, Yankton SD, Valley Iowa, Smith Center Kansas, just to name a few (26 teams there in all, 18-20 of them from other states) Yeah, they didn't bring any good wrestlers. Actually I saw a ton of state medalist, qualifiers, and state champions from states all over the country. To each his own. Just because kids aren't wrestling in the national tournaments doesn't mean they aren't good or getting better. In fact, I talked to one coach from out of state that sends kids to fargo and he told me his kids get more out of the UNL camp and they also enjoy it more.