Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    How can an ineligiable wrestler be ranked in the state?

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
How can an ineligiable wrestler be ranked in the state? Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Just got back from the Northwest "JV" Tournament tonight, I was just wondering about a certain wrestler there. I was just wondering why a school, Northwest in particular put Ross Milam, their 160lbs. wrestler, who is also ranked #5th in the state at the moment. We asked the NW coach why he was there, he told us that he was ineligiable and is on JV now? I thought it was sort of bad.....but how does an ineligiable JV wrestler get ranked in the state. I thought you had to be on varsity to be ranked in the state. But I guess now JV kids can have this opportunity now. Wow....I guess its ok to send a kid ranked in state to a JV tourney, man I could go on and on.....what are some other peoples opinions on this subject? just my $0.02 Like everyone knows I ahve nothing against any coach or wrestler...but I was just wondering.

"It's in the bag coach, it's in the bag."
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
This is because of the NSAA. The NSAA will let a student who transferred in to a school district and has not met the 90 day sit period to participate as a JV in competitions but not at the varsity level. If this kids sit period is done before districts then he would be eligible to go to state.

ok i can see the JV thing.....but how can a JV wrestler be ranked in state? I thought you had to be on varsity to be ranked?
<Metro Maniac>
Hey BW.....

There are no rules for rankings. Rankings are independent of the NSAA. In fact the NSAA does no ratings. So, this being said, rankings are opinions, and everyone has an opinion. Some are just lucky enough to put theirs in front of our eyes. HB, Mike, and of course McCurdy, are those folks this year. They have free reign to rank whomever they want. They rank guys at weights before they have gone to that weight......they have ranked guys who are injured.......they rank guys who are, as you have said ineligible. This is their right and there is nothing wrong with it.

So about Ross Milam. Well, Northwest entered Ross in the Haizlip tournament as a JV but in a varsity tournament. Their varsity (Northwest) was at the Cheiftain Classic the same weekend. In the tournament, Ross beat another ranked wrestler from Benson. That is noteworthy, and the rankings folks noticed this. Wouldn't it be a shame to leave him out? He is good enough to be ranked.

Does that help you, BW?

ok I can see Northwest sending him to a varsity tournament as a JV team, but to send him into competition with actual JV kids is a little unfair, JV kids are out there to learn moves and technique, not to go out there and get the hell kicked out of them by some stud. That would be like me having a "JV" tournament and putting Mike Barnett, Devlon Webb or Cavin Cooper in the line up. I can understand that he cant wrestle varsity because of the transfer, and I see him getting sent to a varsity tourney with a JV team, but to send him to your own JV tournament. I dont know if I'm making sense but does anyone feel the same way I do?

"It's in the bag coach, it's in the bag."
Rookie
Picture of grapplinman
I am kind of watching this strand a little. I might just comment: Milam was a state qualifier, I think, as a frosh. Then he was behind a state champ, Zurek, last year before he quit. Now you could say he was a stud last year, but couldn't crack the lineup. Should he have to sit out because he is good? And my second point. He was only JV last year. It has been two years since he was varsity. Who knows how good he is? I would think he needs some mat time no matter what the level. I could see your point if he was a state placer and a recognized stud, but we don't know this at this time. Let him wrestle. Also, he is not ineligible because of grades and the like. His only fault is transfering, I guess. If Christensen has it his way, there won't be a sit out period as of next year
<scarpanther>
happened last year at (i think) fairbury. they had two of the best 215's in the state, but neither could bump up to hwt, which was occupied by ross boeckner. it seemed like they traded places in the varsity standing every time we met up. cody green won the right to wrestle at districts, but flopped at state.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
and i think the other 215 was Warnke. Another jv that could have placed at state was a McGlaughlin I believe from Hebron. Couldn't get in the lineup because of Bernadt, Desmond, Fangmeier, and one other state champion that I can't remember, maybe a weidel. For a state champ to honestly say his best match of the season came by way of wrestle offs is something!

Rick Henry
<bunny05>
milam is ranked because now people treat the south invite as a jv invite but is stillconsidered a varsity invite he beat lil marcum there for 1st and got ranked but only because northwest brought there jv
Rookie
Picture of 215 from CCHS
Coaches better be checking the rules on kids inelgible kids wrestling in JV meets against Varsity competion. That would be ruled as a Varsity meet for the kid. That means he can't wrestle in those meets. If varsity teams are competing in the same meet. Even if it is different classes.
Might want to check this out so you don't mess up a kid from wrestling at Districts.