Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Ok, Who would win out of the HWT's

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Ok, Who would win out of the HWT's Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  

Question:
Ok, if we had a tourney of these HWT's all at their senior year level, who would win?

"It's in the bag coach, it's in the bag."

[This message was edited by Big Whitey on July 23, 2003 at 02:28 PM.]

[This message was edited by Big Whitey on July 23, 2003 at 02:28 PM.]

Choices:
Lance Tolstedt, Kearney, 2XState Champ, Runner-up
Andy Johnson, Omaha North, State Champ, Runner-Up,3rd
Jake Gable, Papio-LV, State Champ, Runner-up
Tyrice Elleb, Boys Town, 2XState Champ
Mitch Manstedt, Clarks, 3XState Champ, Runner-up

<bigjoe>
Where is Murphy,Nygren,Woods?
<Guest>
Here is my top three heavyweights

1) Tolstedt
2)tie Bob Murphy of omaha burke(state champion and runnerup)
2)tie Manstedt
3)tie Elleb and Dan Huber of Louisville(state champion and state runnerup, he was so fuild on his feet)
<gocke>
lol...im a little biased..but what about Daryl Meyer from York, 3x champ, weighed around 220 when it was unlimited, wrestled at the university
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Lance Stallion
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
A couple from the past...although I'm not sure they would be able to make the 275 pound limit:

Mike Max (Burwell...now coacinh at Ainsworth)
Matt Morgan (Lyons-Decatur)
Chad Schumaker (I think he's up around Randolph somewhere now...hahaha)

and if you wanted to talk about a mobile heavyweight, there was Aquinas' Brian Dart.
Novice
Picture of LC Scout
AIM: Online Status For p1ottydawg
Nygren isn't worth puttin on this list. 2 of his 3 State titles were at 215. Speaking of heavies, where's Scott Stara (3-time State Champ)? He should be on that list...

Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
<Heavy>
Since I wrestled heavyweight in the late nineties this topic holds a special place in my heart. As a matter of fact I actually had a chance to wrestle all of these guys with the exception of Gable.
Tyrice Ellebb from Boystown was the most dominant heavy in the last decade and would surely win this tournament. Not only did he pin every opponent his senior year, but none even made it to the second round against him. Teched class A champ Stinner(Fargo AA) in Freestyle that Summer.

Bob Murphy from Burke is the most notable missing from this list. There hasn't been as dominating heavyweight in the metro since. Of his 36 wins his senior year 35pins 1 tech.(lost to Tolstedt at state). Also a 2x All-American in Fargo.

Tolstedt only wrestled like 2 minutes total at state his senior year. Would have been a 3 timer easily if he and Murphy were in different clases. Hard to argue against him also.

Andy Johnson? Are you kidding me?

Can't argue with Manstedt's talent but who did he ever have to wrestle in class D? Would have been a one or two timer in other classes.

Gable was good last year but he had to wait for all the decent guys to graduate before he could get it done.

Dan Huber got thrashed by any one decent at State USA every spring.

Other notables missing... Antoine Woods, North(if you include Gable wahy not the guy who beat him the year before to win it?) Jared Nygren, Newman Grove. Kalon Fancher, Gordon. John Stinner, Gering. Chris Minardi, Gross. Cody Beguin,Rushville. Hell, Robbie Klinetobe, Battle Creek, was only one match away from qualifying for the DII national tourney last year.
My list
1)Ellebb
2)Tolstedt
3)Murphy
4)Manstedt
5)Stinner
6)Fancher
7)Gable
8)Nygren
9)Minardi
10)Beguin

World Champion
Picture of HB
Stara, John Sherlock and Brian Duran of Nebraska City would be added to my list. And of course you have to add Bjorn Tomsen who upset Duran at the state tournament.
<Heavy>
they all must be before my time. althogh I have heard that Stara was the man and I know Tomsen was awesome at Kearney State College.

yeah, i should have had murphy and woods on there, but thats why i always say, we need to try and get HB to have the "poll" option to have like 10 entries instead of the now 5.

"It's in the bag coach, it's in the bag."
Varsity Letterman
Remember too that Robbie Klinetobe only weighed at most 240, and as for who did Manstedt beat, Layne Sievers from Randolph was no pushover at all.
Rookie
Picture of Cschumacher
Mike Max was a dominate wrestler back in the unlimited days. Watched him destroy people. I weighed 190lbs as a sophmore in 1980 and wrestled the unl weight class. Lost in the semi finals that year at state and was not too disapointed not to have to wrestle him.
Comparing the heavies then and now are like night and day. When the unl class was changed it made the weight a new area to wrestle. No longer do we have the over 300lb wrestler out there. I never wrestled at more than 230 but met many over 300. Puts a big twist on your strategy, never directly under always at angles. You also learned to move quick off the bottom.
Also want to say some thing about Manstedt. Would of won the title at any class. He was a dominating wrestler from what i saw when I moved back to Nebraska.
Varsity Letterman
And Layne Sievers might have won a title in any class if it hadn't been for Manstedt!
<Heavy>
not saying Manstedt was not tough. No doubt he was(and still is) a stud. Just saying he wouldn't have been a 4 time finalist in A or B. Would have had to get past Murphy and Tolstedt in A to be a 3 timer. And Tolstedt again to be a two timer. Who knows maybe he could of done it. As for Klinetobe weighing 240. Murphy only weighed like 220 his senior year and destroyed people. As for the 275 vs. unlimited dispute. You can't really compare those periods because then we'd have to include all the 215 pounders from recent years.
<VoiceofReason>
I don't think you can punish Manstedt based upon the mere fact that he wrestled in Class D. Class C and D are always very strong at heavy weight and do compare well with A and B. For his class, Manstedt was far more dominant in highschool than the other wrestlers mentioned above. Look how Manstedt's success in highschool translated to college. Manstedt is a good DI wrestler, most publications have him ranked in the top 15 in the country. Last year, all his loses came to national qualifiers and he beat a couple of qualifiers from weaker conferences.
<Guest>
Who are these kids that thrashed Dan Huber at State USA, I saw him wrestle down there and that was freestyle and greco. He told me that it was his first year wrestling both styles that was his junior year. He went one year to state usa folkstyle and lost a close match to Lance Tolstedt when he was a sophomore. When Dan was a senior he was a stud, he only lost to manstedt by one point. In the east west all star dual he lost to tolstedt by like 3.
Rookie
I think he got a lot better when he went to Nebraska. He was dominant in high school but not as much as some others on the list. He probably is the best wrestler out of everybody now that he has been in Nebraska's program.