Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    State Duals Proposal
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
State Duals Proposal Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Passed 2nd round voting in District 4 yesterday!
Novice
I heard it passed District 3.
Rookie
Picture of Grapplindog
So district 1-2-3-4 passed so far? How many districts are there? This would be a great thing hope everyone voting on it can see that
Junior High
Picture of Cornfed
6 districts. it will be a tough sell out here, our ad is dead set against it and he wont listen to any arguments in favor. this would be a huge step forward for wrestling in this state.
Junior High
Picture of Vader
Then it has passed round 2 and should go to the legislative committee now, right?
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
So far what we know:

District 1 - Passed
District 2 - Passed
District 3 - Passed
District 4 - Passed
District 5 - Unknown (failed the first round)
District 6 - Failed

The proposal needed to pass in 3 districts to move on to the Legislative Commission. So it moves on. If it passes there it goes to the Representative Assembly for a final vote. It appears that the total vote will be approximately 70% of the voting schools in favor. The Legislative Commission or Representative Assembly could vote it down and it would be dead, but they would have to go against the wishes of the majority. Which is possible.

Thanks to the NSWCA and all the wrestling coaches out there that made it possible to get this far. The coaches efforts in educating their administration made a hugh impact.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Badger,

When will this go to a vote of the R.A.?

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
Legislative Commission meets Feb. 16th.
Representative Assembly meets Apr. 8th.
Novice
Picture of Big D
http://theindependent.com/arti...22e6757175201417.txt

Does anyone know how this is coming along for having the state dual team tournament yet for 2012?
Junior High
Y'all referred to MN a few times about their team tourney. I believe that MN (with 3 classes) added a fourth day to their state tourney. Team tourney is done on Wednesday; individual brackets done Thu-Sat.
State Qualifier
I heard not going to happen until 2013.
Junior High
I heard this too..... Not sure all the powers that be really wanted this to go through.

Relentless
Junior High
Picture of Vader
That is what Ron Higdon said at the Coaches Clinic this summer.
Novice
Picture of Big D
Too bad for this year's senior class but understandable with less than a year to put together and an administration change as well. If it was a matter of manual labor, I would donate my time to help.
Novice
Picture of lorilwayne
I didn't follow this discussion when it first came up but looking at it I'm not sure I'd be and advocate for it either. Heres my reasons.

1. The cost- (Wrestling District 4 in all classes already covered a lot of miles the middle 2 weekends in February- add one more weekend without a guaranteed central site hard to financially justify the added motel and travel expenses.

2. The time- (A lot of coaches especially in the C and D schools out west are active in the little kids programs. They also have some schools in parts of the state that run the junior high program January to March. I love wrestling but I also like to see my husband from time to time.)

3. NSAA- Do they have enough manpower for another event that time of the year? We all know about state wrestling- swimming is the weekend after, bowling is right around that time, basketball the first two weekends in March, district speech and state speech right after that. These may not seem like important events for us- but for others they are equal to our state tournament.

Just not sure that the cost/benefit analysis equals out. We would see some awesome wrestling but given the three factors above not sure I can support it. I love wrestling, live in the central area of our state and am used to driving distances for games/meets. If I can't be sold on the idea I understand why some who are in love with other sports, don't like to drive may have difficulty with the idea.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Loril - I can certainly understand the expense aspect of it, and I think having it in Kearney or Grand Island would be paramount for making this a go (If I had a dollar for every time I heard somebody west of North Platte complain about driving the extra 50-60 miles for state, I'd be able to personally finance this tournament without any NSAA support...not saying I disagree with those folks, mind you...)

As for the NSAA -- bowling is not a sanctioned sport (yet), so that's a non-issue. I'm sure they would be able to find ample help to run such a tournament, considering it wouldn't be as big in scope as the regular state tournament. There would only be 16 teams involved and the matches in each class would be concentrated to one area.

Only problem might be with little kids programs. Again, there would be a limited number of schools involved, and I'd like to think those youth programs have enough volunteers involved that a coach could get away for one extra weekend.

I hear ya' on the wanting to see the spouse thing, though...I used to joke with the ex when we were married about how I'd kiss her on the first Friday of football season and say "See ya' in May, honey"...which is probably why she's now my EX-wife. Big Grin

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
Picture of lorilwayne
NWI- I sit and think of pros and cons for all of the items. I probably have too much time on my hands right now- girls graduated so don't have a bunch of VB games I'm going to, recently moved and haven't gotten as involved yet in the community and FB- only plays once a week. Wrestling hasn't started yet so probably just thinking too much. Those were just the thoughts that I had as possible drawbacks. However- if people know what they are up against they can come up with solutions to those problems to make the event flow more smoothly the first year.

I tossed my thoughts past hubby. The point that he had was that a starting or young program probably wouldn't be involved in the second wrestling state tournament- which is valid. As for the spouse thing- truthfully I just accepted it and dealt with it. Thats probably one of the reasons I like wrestling so much but a young married couple with young kids may not have as much success with that. The way I dealt with that was to take the kids to the tournaments. That could be why my daughter liked the sport as much as she does. They grew up around the mat.

The answers and adjustments will be found and it will most likely occur but will just take some more paper and going back to the drawing board. I remember many had feelings about moving the family reunion to Omaha. I miss Lincoln and think- wow we would be there every time we go past the Lincoln exits- however seating is so much better and Quest has adjusted to us as we have to them. Secretly I think they actually view us as one of the more harmless events and more laid back events they host. They like us and get a chuckle out of us sneaking in things- thinking we got one past them, they like the beach balls. Just giving those that are in the planning stages some food for thought.

With GI getting the VB tournament bid again that will stand in favor for the "outstate" venues. Maybe they will come up with the option of doing it similar to playoffs or subdistrict basketball. (Find out who the two teams are and then find the site as close to halfway as possible.) I realize this isn't what the wrestling community wants completely but if it gets the duals happening and works for the teams/schools involved I think that should be more the focus. That sort of arrangement might get the other two districts more in favor of the idea.