Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Nebraska's top wrestler by weight
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Nebraska's top wrestler by weight Login/Join

Rookie
Picture of inxtreme
posted   Report This Post  
Now that the state tournament is complete, I am interested in whom everyone feels is the top wrestler in the state for each weight class. Therefore; here are my choices.
• 103 - Thomas Gilman, Skutt Catholic. Class B (head and shoulders above the rest)
• 112 – Zach Cottle, Skutt Catholic. Class B (3 time state champion, kid just know how to win)
• 119 – Tyrell Galloway, Omaha Central. Class A (2 time state champion)
• 125 – Dusty Stodola, Schuyler. Class B(toss up between Stodola and Tim Crocker of Kearney. Stodola gets the nod for winning his 3rd state championship)
• 130 – Austin Wilson, Hastings. Class C (very even between Ghanthapatheth of Grand Island, and Loges of Skutt Catholic. Flip a coin)
• 135 - Matt Katusin, Skutt Catholic. Class B (3 time state champion, fun to watch)
• 140 – Alex Bridgeford, Omaha Burke. Class A (only word to describe is DOMINATING)
• 145 – Bryan Mejstrik, Howells. Class D (would be a great match between Bryan and RaVaughn Perkins of Omaha North. But I have to give the respect to our newest 4 time state champion. Great job Bryan!!!!)
• 152 – Breckin Coffey, Centennial. Class C (extremely solid wrestler)
• 160 – Michael Klinginsmith, Kearney Catholic. Class C (3 time state champion)
• 171 – Derek Vogel, Skutt Catholic. Class B (2 time state champion, most dominating wrestler in Class B)
• 189 – Kevin Barrett, Boystown. Class B (3 time state champion, great athlete)
• 215 – Joseph Alston, Auburn. Class B (relentless competitor)
• 285 – Ron Coleman, Omaha North. Class A (3 time state champion. But I would not count out Sandi Stanback of Boystown, great athletic ability in a very big man)
Outstanding wrestler of the year – Bryan Mejstrik of Howells Great Career
Most dominating wrestler – Alex Bridgeford of Omaha Burke
Outstanding freshman – Thomas Gilman of Skutt Catholic
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Crocker beat Stodola
Rookie
I wouldn't call Gilman head and shoulders above the rest at all, maybe in class B. I think the Grand Island kid..Riedy?..would take him half the time or more. I like Riedy over Gilman.
Rookie
Picture of inxtreme
Thanks bearcat501, I was not aware that Crocker defeated Stodola. Without full information I went with Stodola due to fact he won his 3rd championship. That would have been a great match to watch.

Husker33. I based my choice of Gilman over Riedy on common opponents. Riedy had narrow wins over McWillams of Burke and Taylor of Omaha North. Gilman absolutely destroyed both McWillams and Taylor by tech fall. If I am not mistake, the only points earned by either were when Gilman cut them loose. By no means do I discount Riedy of Grand Island he is a great wrestler and kid, he will continue to do outstanding things on and off the mat. I just feel that Gilman established himself as the best in class.
Rookie
It was 1-0 at the Lex Invite, I heard it was crazy.

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
Well, I think Gilman is great and you're entitled to your opinion but I won't rate him better because of comparative scores of common opponents of only one other of the undefeated 103's in Nebraska. I'll need head to head to convince me either Gilman or Reidy have anything over Bolling or Coufal. So, IMO, Gilman has done no such thing as 'establishing' himself as the best 103 and to indicate him as head and shoulders above the rest is a bit presumptious based on the criteria you are using.

Rookie
Picture of Hansen_Mustangs
inxtreme, I hate to be another thorn in your side and I understand these great wrestlers on your list are just your opinion. However I would like to mention some other kids at a couple weights that look very solid as well. First, at 160 I'm not sure how you leave out Jerad Gubbels of Randolph. He was also a 3 time state champ, not to take anything away from Michael Klinginsmith because he is also an outstanding wrestler. Putting those 2 on the same mat would be a great match to watch. Also at 103 I would like to mention Eric Coufal of Howells and Andrew Reidy of Grand Island. Both looked like solid wrestlers. Eric was outstanding all year going undefeated and being the first freshman of Howells to go undefeated and win the state title. Andrew looked great at the tournament and it will be interesting to see if either of these wrestlers could be on the 4 time state champ list by the end of there careers. Just some kids I don't think should be left out on this list is all.
Rookie
Picture of inxtreme
TK, thanks for your input. It would be great to see all four of these freshmen meet up and wrestle. Unfortunately, that has not happened. The exciting thing is that we will see all four of these champions back in the years to come, all going forwards with the opportunity to win many more state championships. My assessment was made from the domination of others in the tournament, and this year. Gilman dominated an excellent wrestler who entered the finals unbeaten, and was absolutely controlled by Gilman. Therefore; my reason for the statement. No of the others in question demonstrated that same level in my opinion.
Rookie
TK, thanks for mentioning Connor Bolling. I certainly agree!

Julie Smith
Rookie
Picture of inxtreme
Hansen_Mustangs; not a thorn in my side at all. I think its great that you bring up others, and the whole intent of my posting. Because we don't have the luxury of knowing who really is the best in each weight class, individuals who are willing to post statistics, and observations about wrestlers helps to not only draw attention to that wrestler, but also educate all of us. Like I've said, this is just my choices (which are subject to change with more information), and the thread had to start somewhere. Thanks Hansen_Mustangs for you input.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by Hansen_Mustangs:
First, at 160 I'm not sure how you leave out Jerad Gubbels of Randolph. He was also a 3 time state champ.

If i am reading this correctly you are saying Gubbles is a 3 time champ....hes not he won his first state title yesturday. he was in the finals last year but got beat 1-0 by Foster Meier I believe....so correct me if im reading your post wrong but I know for a fact that gubbles only won one state title
Rookie
103 Thomas Gilman-Skutt
112 Shawn Nagel-Kimball
119 Tyrell Galloway-Central
125 Tim Crocker-Kearney
130 Christian Loges-Skutt
135 Matt Katusin-Skutt
140 Alex Bridgeford-Burke
145 Bryan Mejstrick-Howells
152 Breckin Coffey-Centennial
160 Michael Klinginsmith-Kearney catholic
171 Derek Vogal-Skutt
189 Kevin Barret-Boys Town
215 Joe Alston-Auburn
285 Ron Coleman-Omaha North
Junior Varsity
Picture of ndb65
according to the state program

Jerad Gubbels, Randolph

3/C112/06
3/C130/07
2/D145/08
and then 1/D160/09

I still agree he is an outstanding wrestler

Guaranteed LOUDEST guy in the gym!!!!
Rookie
husker34, My mistake. I thought he was but clearly I was wrong. Thanks for correcting me.
Rookie
i think shawn nagel was the best 112 pounder in the state this year, he won his second title and was in his third final, completed his second consecutive undefeated season and beat fowlkes handily in the semis. i think shawn was definetly the best in the state. not to take anything away from cottle
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by BigBlue:
i think shawn nagel was the best 112 pounder in the state this year, he won his second title and was in his third final, completed his second consecutive undefeated season and beat fowlkes handily in the semis. i think shawn was definetly the best in the state. not to take anything away from cottle

I think on the radio broadcast yesterday, the radio guys said Fruchtl beat Nagel handily last summer.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
quote:
Originally posted by bearcat501:
quote:
Originally posted by BigBlue:

Unless they meet on the mat during the regular season I don't put much credence in a summer win.
I think on the radio broadcast yesterday, the radio guys said Fruchtl beat Nagel handily last summer.
Novice
Picture of 3/4 Nelson
quote:
Originally posted by Hansen_Mustangs:
husker34, My mistake. I thought he was but clearly I was wrong. Thanks for correcting me.

You can't be right all the time Hansen!! lol, Nice job down at the tourney, your kids are looking awesome

"Defeat is not getting back up"
Rookie
Thats understandable Bulldog and I tend to agree. I was just throwing it out there for consideration
Rookie
3/4 Nelson; The mustangs did have a great year but I can't take credit for that. I'm not Randy Hansen the assistant coach for the Mustangs. However, I am related to him but I just wanted to make sure that I didn't take credit for someone elses work.