Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Even the best can be beaten

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Even the best can be beaten Login/Join

Novice
posted   Report This Post  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjT8nYQF_7I
Check this video out.
I watched Logan Storley of Webster, SD win his first state championship as a 7th grader a while back. In a few weeks he will be going for his 6th state championship. He had won 197 in a row until this weekend. Storley, who will be wrestling at Minnesota next year, was destroying a kid from West Fargo, ND 15-2, and was attempting a takedown for the tech fall when he got caught in a twister and was pinned. (I think I heard in the video that the West Fargo kid is the #1 ranked sophomore in the nation).
A good lesson in never giving up, and a great show of sportsmanship by Storley afterwards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bdoggy,
Junior High
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
What a class act! There are a few kids in our wrestling community that need to watch this video. It's hard to convince kids that character is more important than talent, especially when some coaches and parents don't stress that perspective.

This is a must see! Thanks bdoggy.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a minute! He didn't throw his head gear, refuse to shake hands, kick a trash can or trash a door on the way out! He even had the gall to show up at the awards ceremony!

[/sarcasm]

Now that's a class act. Thanks for posting it bdoggy!

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Rookie
That was insane. Great video, class act!
Junior High
The kid is looking at a perfect career record of 197 wins and 7 state championships. This sudden surprise loss as a senior with a 13 pt lead in the 1st period would shake most. For him to walk of as graciously as he did in spite of the circumstances certainly makes a statement about his character. That's a class act!!!!!

Now you don't even have to go to YooToob to watch!

-----------------
Photobucket

EISENHOWER
Rookie
What an amazing talent matched with an equal amount of character. Bravo!
Rookie
I know Logan personally and he is one of the classiest wrestlers I have met. Great character by one of the nation's best

World Champion
Picture of HB
I remember when Willie Hill smashed a glass trophy case after he lost at Roncalli to Mike Jackson.

And then there was the infamous picture in the Omaha paper of the Gable kid being led away from the Devaney by the police.

Win with class, lose with class.
Rookie
Wow! A kid was led away by the police? I'm embarrassed to call myself a coach and a former wrestler and say the I never heard about that. Can I get a 1 minute review of that story?

quote:
Originally posted by knightmare:
Wow! A kid was led away by the police? I'm embarrassed to call myself a coach and a former wrestler and say the I never heard about that. Can I get a 1 minute review of that story?

Here you go! It will take more than a minute to read through it though!

-----------------
Photobucket

EISENHOWER
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by bdoggy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjT8nYQF_7I
Check this video out.
I watched Logan Storley of Webster, SD win his first state championship as a 7th grader a while back. In a few weeks he will be going for his 6th state championship. He had won 197 in a row until this weekend. Storley, who will be wrestling at Minnesota next year, was destroying a kid from West Fargo, ND 15-2, and was attempting a takedown for the tech fall when he got caught in a twister and was pinned. (I think I heard in the video that the West Fargo kid is the #1 ranked sophomore in the nation).
A good lesson in never giving up, and a great show of sportsmanship by Storley afterwards.
So you were in Sioux Falls 6 years ago this month bdoggy? I was there also, Storley was a pretty amazing 103 lb. 7th grade wrestler beating a junior (returning state champ from Bon Home I believe). Too bad Nebraska didn't get him, I heard he wanted to go there to be with Kokesh from SD who is probably having the best redshirt year of the Huskers.
Novice
We see a few pretty good South Dakota class B teams during the year, and since their state tourney is a week after ours I started going to the final day when the Bs are in Sioux Falls (every other year). They have a 2 day tourney so both the semis and finals are on Saturday. It's kind of nice to just kick back and enjoy some good wrestling, I treat it as a vacation. The first time I went was when Storley was a 7th grader and I've been following him ever since. I've been considering driving up to Aberdeen this year to watch him as a senior.
Rookie
The most electric high school match I've ever seen was South Dakota's first, and so far only, I believe, six time state champion going for his sixth in the finals match. 5x class B SD state champ senior Kirk Wallman was going against freshman Chad Lamer of Tri Valley. It went to OVERTIME and the match was action packed throughout. Of course Wallman won, but what nobody knew at the time is that on top of some eventual state titles, Lamer would go on to be a three time D2 national champ for SDSU and wrestle internationally.

That was some well spent gas money to Sioux Falls that year. Aberdeen is getting a little far up there for me bdoggy, but if you make it up there, I don't think Storley will disappoint you. (Just bring your snowboots and longjohns).

By the way, if you don't go up, you can watch the finals matches on demand by going to the SD website (SDHAA or something like that). No charge/archived for anyone to see. Unless they change it this year, but I doubt it.
Novice
Picture of starwrestler
dominated the match on his feet and with his tilts, but fell asleep a little in the 3rd. Class act though! should be at Nebraska with Kokesh!