Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    UNO wrestlers and wrestling coaches to Maryville???

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
UNO wrestlers and wrestling coaches to Maryville??? Login/Join

NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
posted   Report This Post  
From thematforums....... I don't know if it is real or not! But I hope so!

* Report this post

UNO wrestling team ---> Maryville University wrestling team

New postby fudge_tunnel » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:46 pm
Rumor on a couple of wrestling message boards I've seen today, including one substantiated by one of the (former) UNO wrestlers' mother, is that UNO's coaches and wrestlers will be going to Maryville University (in St Louis) to wrestle next year. Apparently there will be no probationary period (they've moved from NAIA to D2) and they will be eligible to wrestle in 2011-2012.

Interesting....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chiefMTstorm,

Rick Henry

Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Are they adding wrestling? I do not see that they currently offer it?
Rookie
Picture of outstatefan
Looks like a close color match! Stay tuned.
Rookie
That would be great if true but I'm really suspect of any post from someone that calls themselves fudge tunnel. beware of replies from Ben Dover, Mike Hunt and Chocolate Starfish!!! trolling
Junior High
I don't understand how an entire team could be transplanted like that. You have to keep in mind that most of these wrestlers are commited to academic goals and have followed a carefully planned path towards their careers. For example, a couple of those guys are getting close to completing their engineering degrees. What a dilemma, especially for those kids that are on the edge of reaching their wrestling dreams but can't finish up because they are locked into their academic commitments?

These kids have been betrayed in the worst way. Another example of an administor's attitude that "it's not about people."
Rookie
Picture of outstatefan
No doubt some of these kids are "trapped", but for those who aren't this would be the best possible outcome; DII and immediate eligibility. This also would be another example of Mike Denney taking care of his people when others have chosen to throw them under the bus. After the BOR's hummer, Coach said he still felt like he had another one in him. We should all continue to be grateful for this guy, and that a postive outcome for some of the guys may come about. None-the-less, we shalt not forget the votes cast by the BOR's when we cast our votes in the next two elections.
Rookie
You're right Patriot! Not to mention Coach Denney may be at a place in life where a move is an option, but what about Higdon, Dominguez, Stalder etc? It has to feel good to be wanted, but uprooting a young family is a huge decision! They don't deserve to be put in this position. Big decisions! I hope we hear something soon.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Weird-Harold article

We have our first candidate to support in next year's BOR election.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
Thanks NWI for the name and the heads up. We need to educate ourselves on the candidates. The new ones may not be any better and could be worse than the ones that jumped in line to kiss Alberts butt.
Novice
I have heard about this previous to today and their is some legs to the story. There are also some other possibilities that have been discussed as options but it involves raising approx 2 million dollars. Basically I think the sell is we raise the money and your school gets wrestling. There is also another school that has been discussed that doesn't currently offer wrestling. It is a long shot I think but it is better than nothing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: You know,
World Champion
Picture of NWI
You know - any schools here in Nebraska? I know Wayne State probably isn't in the mix because of Title IX issues...only other schools in the state would be NAIA schools (Peru, Doane).

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
Picture of Gocke_Dojo
Maybe it's just me and maybe they can't say, but instead of allowing all the rumors and stories to develop I wish Coach Denney or Coach Higdon would come out and same what are the developing scenarios. Many of you have to be as frustrated as me, with the he said, she said, themat.com says etc.. Why don't they want the public to know, wouldn't building strength from the public behind a true story help. wouldn't they benefit from Coach Denney or Higdon telling us the truth and allowing us to help?

The longer the what if's and maybe's stay around and the truth doesn't come out, the more athletes they lose and less public interest there is.

Curtis Gocke
Asst. Coach Plattsmouth High School
USA Nebraska Secretary/Treasurer
Rookie
I read in another post someone posing the question whether Creighton would be an option for starting a wrestling program. What would be the possibility of this? Is it too much of a basketball school to even consider adding wrestling? This would be optimal if a possibility. Coach Denney and his wrestlers would get to stay in the Omaha community. Am I just dreaming and wishing too much???!!!!!
Novice
From the things I have heard, Creighton was an option and still has a slim chance. The problem is that they are working on such short notice. If they would have known 6 months ago I think this would have been a done deal. As for Maryville, Coach Denney told me himself that it has to be a package deal. He is not going to start from scratch. Here are some issues; One particular kid has 9 hours to graduate from the engineering dept., another one's dad is at Boise State, another is not willing to make the transition. These are significant members to the team. I wonder if USD up in Vermillion would be willing or able to take over the program.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by Vbadger:
From the things I have heard, Creighton was an option and still has a slim chance. The problem is that they are working on such short notice. If they would have known 6 months ago I think this would have been a done deal. As for Maryville, Coach Denney told me himself that it has to be a package deal. He is not going to start from scratch. Here are some issues; One particular kid has 9 hours to graduate from the engineering dept., another one's dad is at Boise State, another is not willing to make the transition. These are significant members to the team. I wonder if USD up in Vermillion would be willing or able to take over the program.

A slim chance, huh? So what you are saying is that there is a chance!! What would need to be done? Who needs to be contacted? Is this something Coach Denney is willing to do or try? How can this possibility be brought forward or more of an option?
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
Creighton would be a good fit for a DI Program. Creighton would attract a different type of athlete that UNL would. I think a private school DI and public school DI is a good contrast for NE for that reason. UNO is going to be the odd man out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BLASCHKO,
Rookie
I can confirm that both rumors are true. I'm not sure Coach wants us sharing a bunch of info, so I'll leave it at that.

I am taking my boys to the Midwest Classic to get a chance to see the UNK campus at the same time.
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Falcon Dad:
I can confirm that both rumors are true. I'm not sure Coach wants us sharing a bunch of info, so I'll leave it at that.

I am taking my boys to the Midwest Classic to get a chance to see the UNK campus at the same time.

UNK has a nice campus. The wrestling room and weight room are both solid for D2. I was very happy with my UNK experience.
Novice
quote:
Originally posted by aybarra123:
quote:
Originally posted by Vbadger:

A slim chance, huh? So what you are saying is that there is a chance!! What would need to be done? Who needs to be contacted? Is this something Coach Denney is willing to do or try? How can this possibility be brought forward or more of an option?
I think that this would need to be worked out with Coach Denney and Creighton. I don't know if there is anything we can do to help or not. I feel helpless. I am sure if Coach Denney needs to rally the troops he will. There are a lot of people that want to help, including myself, but are unsure of the next move. I am sure if we can help Coach will let us know.
Novice
Creighton was the other option that I have heard discussed.

Can't go wrong with UNK! Great wrestling experience and family atmosphere. Wouldn't trade it for the world.