Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    USA State Meeting

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
USA State Meeting Login/Join

Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
posted   Report This Post  
Nebraska USA Wrestling is holding its annual state meeting Saturday evening during the USA State tournament on March 19th. The meeting will begin at the conclusion of the day’s matches on Saturday or approximately 6:00 pm (whichever comes first). This year we will have the meeting along with a catered meal.

Nebraska USA Wrestling is an organization of the clubs not just run by a board of directors. Each USA Chartered club has two votes on all topics and elections. Non USA Chartered clubs are allowed to attend and provide input but do not have a vote. We would like as many USA and non USA clubs to attend and help shape the future of wrestling in Nebraska. Several topics will be discussed such as the District tournaments, State tournaments, National teams, election of officers, and other USA business.

The following Board of Director positions are open for elections:
  • State Chairman
  • State Vice Chairman
  • Secretary (can combine Secretary and Treasurer)
  • Treasurer
  • Membership Director
  • Pairings Director
  • Media Director
  • Girls/Women’s Director
  • Coaches Director

If you would like to nominate someone for one of these positions you may nominate them at the meeting or notify us in advance. The person nominated need not be present but they must be willing to serve on the board and able to assist at future events. This is your chance to have someone on the board to help shape the future of Nebraska wrestling.

Along with the meeting we will have a catered meal. The menu is as follows:
  • Grilled Boneless Breast of Chicken-Barbecue and Teriyaki Sauces on the side
  • Barbecued Beef (or Pork) Sandwiches
  • Homemade Potato Salad
  • Baked Beans
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Fresh Vegetable Relish Tray with Dip
  • Creamy Cole Slaw
  • Iced Tea or Lemonade

Each USA Chartered club will receive two free meal tickets if they RSVP by the deadline. Extra tickets may be purchased for $15 each. Non USA Clubs may also purchase tickets if they wish. All ticket requests must be done by RSVP to me by Friday, March 4th. My email address is: pokorny1@cox.net. There is no requirement to purchase a meal to attend the state meeting.
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
So is this only for clubs and only clubs can vote, or can those with USA wrestling memberships vote even if their club is not chartered?
State Qualifier
quote:
Nebraska USA Wrestling is an organization of the clubs not just run by a board of directors. Each USA Chartered club has two votes on all topics and elections. Non USA Chartered clubs are allowed to attend and provide input but do not have a vote. We would like as many USA and non USA clubs to attend and help shape the future of wrestling in Nebraska. Several topics will be discussed such as the District tournaments, State tournaments, National teams, election of officers, and other USA business.
Rookie
So again is it only the chartered clubs who have any vote or do USA wrestling members have a vote? Really just wondering, because I would not attend if it was just for the clubs.
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Kearney MatCat:
quote:

If your club is a chartered club you can represent your club and vote. There are clubs that are chartered that do not attend the meeting and do not send anyone to represent them so they have no say on any of the topics that are discussed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kearney MatCat,
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
quote:
Originally posted by lincwre:
So again is it only the chartered clubs who have any vote or do USA wrestling members have a vote? Really just wondering, because I would not attend if it was just for the clubs.

Yes, only USA Chartered clubs have a vote. I don't think that is unreasonable since it is in the bylaws. You could not go to a school board meeting and expect to be able to vote, but you can provide input at the school board meeting.

We do encourage you to come and add input. If you have good ideas you can still convince the clubs and board to vote in your favor. Our meeting is open and any one is welcome to attend.
Rookie
I only was asking a simple question to which I did not know the answer. It is easy for those inside to see where the door to get in is, but that is not always the case with the people who are still on the outside. All that had to be said was only the chartered clubs could vote, and I only was asking because I was interested and it stated that chartered clubs were given 2 votes. I do not know the bylaws, can't find them on your website either so I don't know how I should know that. While true I would not expect to vote at a school board meeting, I do expect to vote for the board members, which is really what I was interested in most with this meeting. I see now that my $30 membership in USA wrestling was nothing more than a $15 subscription and a $15 donation because unless I am involved with a chartered club then I have no voice in Nebraska USA. True I can attend and offer input, but no vote on leadership means no real voice. I appreciate the offer to attend, but will politely decline.
NCAA Champion
Lincwre, I do appreciate your frustration. I can see how while being a USA member but not be part of a club can leave you feeling voiceless. But USA wrestling is the most democratic organization out there so please maybe consider convincing your club to charter next year. Here's how our democracy works for USA.

USA National office- There are different branches and positions are filled by USA members from other states around the Country. There are elections every year and yes sometimes very political but it's that way everywhere.

Nebraska USA- Is one branch off of USA National office. We to have USA members from around our state that are elected to help run the affairs and have direction for wrestling in Nebraska. Those elections are held each year and clubs get 2 votes on all proposed elections and items that are discussed.

Nebraska USA districts- Is really a branch of our USA State in which each district can hold elections of district director and they can even have some kind of a board if they wish. It's really up to them. The USA clubs within the district do the voting and each represent their views for their clubs at the district level.

As an individual without a club is kinda like an American that lives in another Country and can look back at whats going on in the United States, can even talk about it, but actually doesn't have a vote on issues cause his residence is not within the States anymore.

You could even create your own USA club. I'm sure there are others in your area that share your frustration. You might just be able to get something going down in your area.

Good luck.
Rookie
Picture of NEYW
Say my club is a charter club, but my club is not attending can my vote be passed to someone who I know will be there?
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
If they are representing your club, yes. If you want to ensure there is no questions or problems email me who is representing your club.

I should mention one person cannot represent more than one club. They can have two votes for their club but cannot represent 5 clubs together and have 10 votes.
NCAA Champion
quote:
Originally posted by Badger:
If they are representing your club, yes. If you want to ensure there is no questions or problems email me who is representing your club.

I should mention one person cannot represent more than one club. They can have two votes for their club but cannot represent 5 clubs together and have 10 votes.

Yep Shelly's all over that one. She's made voting paddles for everyone at the meeting. Each club gets two paddles....so one person can not hold up more than 2 paddles....this would be the maximum one person could vote.....unless that person was a director and representing their club too. For me, I've selected 2 of my parents in my club to give the other votes to. Hope they vote with me. Smile
Rookie
I am wondering what was decided at the meeting. Are districts going to be held, will they be multiplte weekends, were districts changed and were the number of qualifiers cut?
Junior High
A little info on the districts..

Lancaster County was moved to District 7 @ Nebraska City for 2 years. After that hopefully Lancaster county will generate enough support to go back on their own again. All districts are at 4 qualifiers. The Omaha district had 6, but is limited to 4 like the rest of the districts. For right now districts will be held on a weekend per the discretion of district director. I think most of the districts are gonna try and go the same weekend.

If you want specific info on District 7 shoot me an email. thodges@esu4.org

Relentless
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by NC:
A little info on the districts..

Lancaster County was moved to District 7 @ Nebraska City for 2 years.

So are there only 7 districts then?
Junior High
Yes for 2 years.

Relentless
Rookie
Picture of NEYW
Do we get to see the minutes or the election results?
Novice
Picture of Gocke_Dojo
Send me an email cgocke@plattsmouthschools.org I'll reply minutes to you

quote:
Originally posted by NEYW:
Do we get to see the minutes or the election results?

Curtis Gocke
Asst. Coach Plattsmouth High School
USA Nebraska Secretary/Treasurer