Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Undefeated Perkins Career goes unrecognized by fans...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Undefeated Perkins Career goes unrecognized by fans... Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
The originator of this thread is a troll, nothing more, nothing less.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
Another perk you get watching at home. No one behind you tells you to sit down!
Rookie
Picture of KradleKid
Location: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=49637&id=637660393
quote:
Originally posted by Mason:
They should have stood up and cheered for this great wrestler. Not even a change in the sounds of the arena. That is a shame for the NE fans in attendance. They should have stood an cheered...even the guys are making comments about it on the TV. You notice that alot when a black kid is wrestling in your state. They boo when they have time outs, injury, or equipment problems jsut like Parker did...but when a black kid wins a title or stays undefeated for his career...not a sound! Pathetic!

Well maybe the reason everyone booed might be because some of those individuals were taking "lung injury" timeouts, plus the same went for a bunch of non North wrestlers, so maybe u should just keep these opinions to yourself and not start anymore trouble
Novice
Picture of ArmBar
My wife and I attended the tournament, and the only way I knew that he was undefeated during his HS career was from this forum. They didn't make any announcements about any of the finalists during the finals - they just post their current year record when they announce the bout, and the match final results when the match ended on the overhead scoreboard. It sort of takes away from the excitement in my opinion, as you don't know the finalists career records, past accomplishments, what's on the line, etc. I guess they don't want to show any favoritism to anyone.
Rookie
Picture of Mr. Freeze
Well I guess all the boos that went skutts way were because they were all white. Skutt got alot of boos too when they won and the whole place erupted when they lost. Geez everyone in the crowd must be racists against white kids. Way to go Mason another idiotic comment way to bring out the race card.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Freeze:
Way to go Mason another idiotic comment way to bring out the race card.

It's what trolls do...

Rookie
Picture of 1st Father/Son Ironmen
Once I realized that this accomplishment was not fully acknowledged and appreciated or the crowd prompted, I thought about it for a few minutes and approached the public address announcer. I was referred to a group of 4 administrative officials. My request to recognize DaVaughn Perkins was heard. There had been a predetermined decision by a higher authority to not recognize a three timer because of time constraints (preparation for the basketball game, I think this implies). I do not believe in any way this was something against Devaughn, but a cold hard decision to keep things moving. I asked that he be recognized during the medal presentation, the request was heard and I did not receive a direct answer. I missed the 152 lb. Class announcement, but asked others, so I don't believe he was honored at that time.
I spoke briefly with Coach Alexander, explaining my requests and speaking of how I felt about DaVaughn's accomplishment. Went back to my seat regretting that I hadn't seized the opportunity to jump to my feet clapping loudly, and shout congratulations at the appropriate moment.

The entire Awards Ceremony ended almost 45 minutes earlier that when Burke won in 2000. There was time and time should have been taken anyway. Though not a 4 Timer, this young man fought through a very difficult year as a freshman and emerged untouched by the competition during his high school career . I did not see many of his matches , but do not remember him ever being showy in anyway, only smooth and graceful on the mat.. His celebration at the conclusion of the match seemed modest in my opinion.

We can certainly overcome this by sending congratulatory emails to Devaughn though

Coach Andrew Jurek: andrew.juranek@ops.org

or write a personal note to DaVaughn Perkins

North High School
4410 North 36th Street
Omaha, NE 68111

DaVaughn, Your achievement is worthy of recognition. Thank you for aiming high and accomplishing so much. May you always aim high and reach lofty goals.

Randy Hughell
Volunteer Assistant
Burke High School.
rhughell@tconl.com

Caleb at age 40 was given a mountain, at age 85 he was permitted to fight the mighty people living there. What is your mountain, have you prepared for the fight.
Novice
Picture of SD Husker
in another thread, someone mentioned that some of the screens in Qwest had only a NSAA logo on them for 3 days straight. I think at the least, they could have at least put the accomplishments of Perkins and the other 3 timers on there. Plus they could have put other accomplishments, like Brock Smith's takedown record up too. This would not take anymore time away from the tourney, since they are in such a rush to kick everyone out, and it's the least they could do for these great athletes!

"Pain is Temporary...Pride is Forever"
Novice
Ironman, your gesture is a thoughtful one. But the hard facts are that the entire audience should have stood up and cheered for this kid and made him feel recognized. Not that he needed it, but when a kid goes undefeated for his career, everyone should have stood and cheered! No excuses like the ones that everyone throws on here should be excepted!

Just like racists to say that it is the "race card" when someone mentions the fact that maybe it really is what it is!

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
Mason got one right! Officials should have celebrated this moment with the entire audience by saluting the achievement of Perkins! But, the real hard facts are that no one has to be told that by Mason, nor does anyone expecting any credibility here actually give any to Mason. To suggest the omission was race related is a favorite ploy of any troll on any forum, this one is not original, its pathetically familiar. You gotta hand it to him though, his hole is deep. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TK,

World Champion
Picture of NWI
The only question I have is...how long is he going to be allowed to continue his trollish behavior? He has done little, if any, to further the cause of our sport and seems content with posting a vast array of garbage that does nothing more than create problems.

One would have thought that he would have learned from his past incarnation on this board, but obviously he's Wrasslin with some major emotional and/or mental issues.

I'd feel sorry for him if he wasn't such a trollish jerk...

Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by Mason:
The people did not know? Are you kidding me? What a lame excuse. Great wrestling fans do not know that a kid is undefeated for his career in NE? You guys never want to admit that maybe, just maybe there are bigots living in your state that do not appreciate talent! They sure know about all the white kids and do their best to make sure they get recognized! Race is an issue! Why did the public announcer not mention it? HMMMM? They sure talk about all the other kids!

You guys crack me up!

alright most people that go to the state championships are not huge wrestling fans..not at all, everyone of my uncles and grandparents come just cause they like wrestling and to watch not because they are huge nebraska wrestling fans
Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
The recognition an athlete recieves depends on where they are from in the state as well. People on the western side of the state get very little. My brother was a third time champion and beat a record that was thought to be untouchable and has recieved very little acknowledgement. Hey he is white and a good kid to boot. But making it to be more than a mistake made by the tournament by not announcing these achievements is preposterous. Let's face it..In this world if you can't be happy with what you have accomplished within yourself and need recognition from others....you have a lot to learn. It surprizes me that the adults with in this forum have not figured that out yet. Good job to all the wrestlers this year. I will miss going to see the kids wrestle and the atmosphere.

Brittny Smith
Brock Smith's Sister

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger

Rookie
lets not forget george billy of boys town at 112. not sure if he went undefeated b/ when he won the title the arena didnt seem to be very quiet
Rookie
Seems like things just got change with the move to the Quest... at the Devanney they always made announcements of 4 time state champions. I have seen DaVaughn wrestle even since he was a young kid. I didn't however know that he had gone undefeated. He is an out standing wrestler and the announcement of his undefeat and 4 time championship both should have been announced. It may have been that people were absorbed in other matches or were so high up in the clouds in row T that wrestlers resembled tiny ants and scores were hard to read without binoculars! Smile I'lls I'm sayin is the Devanney would have got it right and made the announcemnt! Congrats DaVaughn on a terrific career. Your accomplishments did not go un-noticed!

shorty
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Perkins was a 3-timer, KP, not a 4-timer...which is PROBABLY why he was not recognized (although I will agree he still SHOULD have been recognized as he is one of four undefeated wrestlers in Nebraska history).

Rookie
Picture of 1st Father/Son Ironmen
quote:
Posted February 18, 2007 07:33 PM Reply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post
The recognition an athlete recieves depends on where they are from in the state as well. People on the western side of the state get very little. My brother was a third time champion and beat a record that was thought to be untouchable and has recieved very little acknowledgement. Hey he is white and a good kid to boot. But making it to be more than a mistake made by the tournament by not announcing these achievements is preposterous. Let's face it..In this world if you can't be happy with what you have accomplished within yourself and need recognition from others....you have a lot to learn. It surprizes me that the adults with in this forum have not figured that out yet. Good job to all the wrestlers this year. I will miss going to see the kids wrestle and the atmosphere.

Brittny Smith
Brock Smith's Sister

Brittny,

Thanks for speaking up. I have been working on a better way of congratulating all 4 wrestlers. There will be a new topic saluting all four that have had been recognized previously. This will be a congratulatory card that each can add their name to and re post.

Randy Hughell

Caleb at age 40 was given a mountain, at age 85 he was permitted to fight the mighty people living there. What is your mountain, have you prepared for the fight.
Rookie
Picture of Loper
if it's a race issue, then why did they recognize chris oliver?

"Show me a man that is thoroughly satisfied and I'll show you a failure."
Rookie
Picture of lateral toss
its not a race issue, therein lies the point. mason just did what he always does, and uses his ignorance to get us all riled up. If we really want to get mason to stop posting, just dont reply to his idiotic remarks.
Rookie
Picture of Loper
deal

"Show me a man that is thoroughly satisfied and I'll show you a failure."