Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    The World-Herald...schooled by the UNO Gateway
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The World-Herald...schooled by the UNO Gateway Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Report This Post  
Way to go, J. Parker Adair. Great story on the Gateway this morning about the unanswered questions on UNO wrestling.

I have sent this e-mail to the World-Herald sports department and Tom Shatel, challenging them to follow up on this story.

Here's a link that you and anybody who has worked on the UNO Div. I story should read. I'm quite shocked that a college journalist is asking questions that a reputed publication of the World-Herald's statute has, to this point, failed to ask.

http://www.unogateway.com/albe...-questions-1.2127153

Tom Shatel is hoping this story goes away, as he said on his chat yesterday. Real journalists would make sure the ENTIRE story is told, and the Omaha World-Herald is failing in that capacity and getting schooled by a college publication.

I challenge you to take this story and pose these questions to Chancellor Christensen and Trev Alberts and challenge them on these issues. You are doing a disservice to your readers if you fail to do so.

Michael Carnes
Wayne, Neb.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Love it!
Junior High
Picture of Red Sox
Great article that I hope gets serious answers from the powers-that-be at UNO.

Chad Mattox
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Based on the immediate reply I received from Mr. Shatel, I wouldn't bet on it...

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Shatel, Tom <Tom.Shatel@owh.com> wrote:
> Nothing new here. Just shows that you and the author haven't been reading Henry Cordes' stories the last three weeks. And how did the W-H find out about the story ahead of time? It's called reporting. Henry did a terrific job.

And my response...

Actually, Tom -- I HAVE been reading Henry's stuff and, after taking a second look at his stuff and the questions posed in the Gateway article, I find little in the way of answers to those questions posed by J. Parker Adair's article in anything that has been published by the Omaha World-Herald since this story broke. I'm very disappointed that a newspaper of the stature of the Omaha World-Herald seems unwilling, or incapable, of holding Mr. Christensen and Mr. Alberts accountable to questions such as this. I expect more out of a newspaper that claims to be the state's crown jewel newspaper, as well as the personalities who are the face of that publication's sports department.

Rookie
Excellent article. Excellent points. Now prepare yourselves to be amazed at how such relavent points by affected people can be completely ignored by those in power over those affected. Don't let it stop you from fighting for what's right. It is possible to effect change for the greater good.
Novice
Mike,

I think you write for the Wayne paper and sometime the Norfolk Daily News. If the World Herald will not find the answers, could your paper take on that article? I don't know how things work, but maybe your paper could get the press and pass it on to the World Herald.
Junior High
Alberts needs to be backed into a corner until he answers Adair's questions.

One of you excellent writers--in this forum--ought to submit a letter to the public pulse and/or other publications to make this point.

I wonder if Adair and other UNO students, along with coach Denney would be willing to be guests on the Becka show to discuss this in detail?

This is great real life stuff for college students to ponder with their professors in such classes as: ethics; philosophy; logic; public speaking; debate; argumentation; business; administration; public service; public relations; journalism; politics; psychology; socialogy . . . .

Everybody just needs to keep stiring things up. Eventually the message just might get across to the general public.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
NR -- The situation at UNO is out of our coverage area, so I won't be doing anything with it for our newspaper. I am putting pressure on the OWH -- my next step is to e-mail OWH exec. editor Mike Reilly on the matter, and I'm going to send Tom Becka a Facebook message with a link to Parker's story and encourage him to try to get Christensen and/or Alberts on his show and ask these questions.

Junior High
NWI, Awesome!

I think this is a newsworthy event that could be framed in many ways to reach all kinds of readers across Nebraska.

All Nebraska citizens are taxpayers who support the University system. It seems to me that the coverage area for this story is Nebraska wide.

World Champion
Picture of HB
Email Shatel and tell him if Trev Alberts ever comes to a screeching halt, his head is going to go right up Trev's rear end.
Novice
Picture of huzker
Great article. I would suggest passing this on and posting it wherever you can to get this story out. Maybe the more places this shows up, the better chance OWH will be pressured by it and do something about it. Maybe I'm wrong.

World Champion
Picture of HB
Clearly, you have a compliant media that doesn't want to upset the apple cart. I would think a story about the frigid relationship between Trev and Coach Denney would sell a lot of papers.
Rookie
Picture of outstatefan
I don't live in the immediate Omaha area so I can't listen to Becka everyday - but it seems as Becka and Vorhees took an immediate interest and then let go. Maybe it's there style to go after today's lead story and move on. I did encourage Vorhees to dig deeper and not give up but I've seen no follow up from him either. Can't hurt to keep trying with any of these guys. As Coach said at eh BOR sham, we deserve better than this. Personally, tomorrow is the day for another round of emails to Christensen and the BOR members. As for the Orifice of Omaha, he's not worth the effort.
Rookie
I know KETV is still looking at the NCAA compliance end of things. Stay tuned, and I believe we have an ally there.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I received a 2nd reply from Shatel with no change and a "we did everything we could" line of bullsh*t. It's clearly obvious, to me, that the wrestling community as a whole should distance itself from that rag from here on out. I think a statewide moratorium on sending preseason information, match/tournament results and being as uncooperative as possible to that publication -- while going out of your way to getting the sport ink in local papers and the Lincoln Journal-Star and other regional dailies -- would be a good idea right about now.

As for other media outlets -- I've chatted with Becka and he doesn't seem too interested. He's definitely a "story of the day" leaner, and they've done their time with the gig and have other issues to talk about, which is fine.

I do have a connection with Travis Morgan at KMTV, and I know he's always been good with all sports, including wrestling. I have left him a message encouraging him to check out J. Parker's story, so we'll see what he thinks.

If JJ Davis was still at KPTM, he'd be on this like stink and poo poo. He's always been a good wrestling supporter and he'd be on this story good, I think.

Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by NWI:
I received a 2nd reply from Shatel with no change and a "we did everything we could" line of bullsh*t. It's clearly obvious, to me, that the wrestling community as a whole should distance itself from that rag from here on out. I think a statewide moratorium on sending preseason information, match/tournament results and being as uncooperative as possible to that publication -- while going out of your way to getting the sport ink in local papers and the Lincoln Journal-Star and other regional dailies -- would be a good idea right about now.

As for other media outlets -- I've chatted with Becka and he doesn't seem too interested. He's definitely a "story of the day" leaner, and they've done their time with the gig and have other issues to talk about, which is fine.

I do have a connection with Travis Morgan at KMTV, and I know he's always been good with all sports, including wrestling. I have left him a message encouraging him to check out J. Parker's story, so we'll see what he thinks.

If JJ Davis was still at KPTM, he'd be on this like stink and poo poo. He's always been a good wrestling supporter and he'd be on this story good, I think.

NWI, I know I'm saying this as somebody who has never even been to the state of Nebraska, but I could have told you last Friday when I called their newsroom that I might as well have been talking to a brick wall, when I can tell them that UNO is totally botching their transition to the point where they will jeopardize their Division I membership, and they don't even want to pay any attention to what I have to say, much less pick up that story.

Again, Steven Henneberry at KETV is an ally we have, and he's not letting go of this.
Junior High
quote:
Originally posted by NWI:

I'm fine with Travis Morgan doing something, provided it's not talking. I feel like I get dumber everytime that guy opens his mouth. I watch Sunday Sports Sound Off, not for the information, but because it's unintentional comedy at its finest.
Novice
I think Matt Schick is sympathetic to our cause too. I have had some positive e-mail exchanges with him over the matter.
Rookie
"...that the wrestling community as a whole should distance itself from that rag from here on out."

But what would I use for fishwrap?
World Champion
Picture of NWI
LOL...I didn't mean stop buying the Weird-Harold altogether...A good Sunday edition is the equivalent of 5-6 rolls of paper towels.

And your pets would certainly welcome the fresh paper as well...just make sure they can't read, or they'll find out you are paper-training them with a second-rate publication and poop on your best carpet in retaliation.