Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    GICC Invite
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
GICC Invite Login/Join

Novice
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
It was a takedown long before that but the refree made it look controversial by not calling the takedown until it looked like the other wrestler was going to sneak out the back door. The outcome was correct but the method was poor.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by TK:
getting lost in this confusion is the fact that Johnson of HCC simply did away with #1 Kansas ranked Palmer of Smith Center! Johnson definitely earned some recognition yesterday not previously afforded him, its time.

Daro of Aquinas and Zavala of GICC put on a great match that obviously could have gone either way, Daro by 5-4 in 2OT.

Congrats to Tera Krotz of KHS, third place medal at 119. no idea why her opponent did not wrestle consolation finals?

One of many good matches to watch, Lonowski/Negley at 125 in semi's; you've all seen Negley for 4 years, keep your eye on Lonowski now. But for an early lead established by Negley, this match was basically even the rest of the way and very good, entertaining wrestling! In final Negley was down 5-0 early and close be being pinned by Rempe of Smith Center; kept his cool and then thoroughly tooke over the match and eventually pinned Rempe!

Smith Center team is very good despite some opens, anyone stepping on the mat with them needs to be prepared for his opponent to be more than ready and quite physical. However, I don't hesitate at all publicly criticize their low level of sportsmanship in general and one specifically! Its not arguable.

160 bracket was brutal; Daro over Kelly, Nichols over Watson, Watson over Schmidt and Kelly, Nichols over Daro in OT.

275 was fun to watch too, results exactly as seeded. Isom of O'Neill tried to throw the heavier Fiala of Aquinas in finals OT, it failed. Ord's Streeter lost an OT to Isom then Streeter he out a physical win by pin over Kort of Adams Central in cons. final.

TK.....Someone said that the reason Tera did not have an opponent was that the the Catholic schools often have regulations/rules against co-ed wrestling. Sad but I think the wrestlers can be given consequenses if they go against the diocese rules.

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
Boys don't want to wrestle girls in the first place, a rule like this, local school or diocese, absolves them. Then, girl wrestler suffers because she does not get to wrestle. Girls have already been granted a legal position on this, its news to me that boys have been granted a religious one. Learn something regularly at wrestling meets Big Grin

Junior High
Picture of bluehawk
The schools in our diocese can not wrestle a girl. That's the rule that has been in effect since my 3rd year at St. Cecilia. We even get a reminder on it every year. Just thought I'd give you the facts.

Coach Brand
Hastings St. Cecilia

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
Thanks Coach, I'm probably in the dark so much I may be the only one that didn't realize this was actually a diocese ruling. So, I have to ask, if a boy wrestler on your team decides he is going to go ahead and wrestle a girl, then does so; what are the consequences? Also, I'll just presume its also a diocese rule that girls are simply not elgible to participate in wrestling.

Rookie
...a very thoughtful question, TK. Does someone have an answer?

Julie Smith
Novice
I think that is plain dumb. There is nothing sexual about wrestling and they try to make a rule like this under the rouse of sexuality. So then, would a boy be able to play basketball against another boy that happens to be gay or a girl post up against a lesbian. Can they play girls vs. guys pick up basketball or touch football. It's a sport, not sex! Have any of you been aroused while wrestling?

What if a male wrestler was gay, would they forfeit. Based on percentages alone, there are a lot of guys wrestling against gay wrestlers. May be they should forfeit 6-8% of there matches since thats about the homosexual population (guessing).

That rule and peoples fears of wrestling a girl is based in ignorance.

Also, for those who worry about losing to a "girl." Don't worry about it, she has beaten a bunch of you guys. You are not in short company.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: You know,
Rookie
one thing i wanted to say about the 103 semi's match. Did anyone notice the towel boy missed the ref like 3-4 times as time expired, and there was no time left when the aquinas kid got that takedown in the first period so technically this match wouldn't have needed to go to overtime in the first place.

the Ord kid had the takedown earlier in the overtime period and the aquinas kid was going to his back and in every overtime when you takedown someone and they simultaniously go to there back the aggressor has the chance to get the pin...and as the Aquinas kid was starting to come off his back and almost getting a reversal the ref did the right thing and ended it...like he should
Rookie
Picture of harw
The Aquinas kid needs to get over it, because he lost and blaming the ref is incredibly immature..the Ord kid won the match no doubt about it
Rookie
Still waiting for a reply to TK's message.

Julie Smith
Rookie
Picture of Agratefulsoldier
Thank you You Know for your opinion. Why is it that you think " That rule and peoples fears of wrestling a girl is based on ignorance"? It could be because of their Morales. I don't know, but coming on here and saying that a school's rule is "plain dumb" doesn't make sense. Realize that wrestling is a male sport at the High School level. If a female wants to wrestling that is great but they need to wait until they have established an all female division of the sport for high school. This is just my opinion, take it for what it is worth to you. I also don't think that the "boys" are worried about losing to a "girl", they might just feel a little uncomfortable. Just be thankful that we are allowed to express our opinions like this.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." Theodore Roosevelt, France, 1910
Rookie
Picture of Loper
In response to TK, no. girls are not allowed to compete in wrestling, at least not a aquinas. I know one that wanted to, but she was never granted permission. im not sure if that is a diocese rule, but im assuming so.

"Show me a man that is thoroughly satisfied and I'll show you a failure."
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by Bula:
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"to free the opressed"

Interesting response.
Novice
Bula-

I think the fear is based on ignorance because the uncomfortable feelings (or the rule in this case) arises from the thought that wrestling a girl is somehow sexual in nature. My position is that wrestling a girl is no more sexual in nature than wrestling a guy or, to broaden the point, wrestling is no more sexual than any other sport. And if in fact that rule is based on the perceived sexuality of wrestling a girl,then based on that logic, the school should forfeit any athletic event where there is a homosexual competing and should not allow any type of dual gender pick up games and athletic events. I think (hope) most can see the flaw in the logic when you extend it beyond wrestling.
Junior High
Picture of bluehawk
TK-

I'm not sure what the ramifications are if a boy does wrestle a girl, but I'm sure there would be consequences for the wrestler and the coach for letting the wrestler wrestle. Girls are not allowed to wrestle at the schools in the Lincoln diocese. I'm just stating the rule not my opinion on the rule.

Up until this year you could wrestle girls at districts and state, but this year they said no to that for the first time.

Coach Brand
Hastings St. Cecilia
Rookie
If a guy must forfeit a match at Districts or State to a girl because of a diocese ruling, imagine the ramifications that go with that -- keeping someone from going to state or possibly winning a medal at state. It seems to me, this is an argument for the side of "keep it a guy sport!"

Are we anywhere close to having enough girls that want to wrestle to have all-girl teams?
Rookie
Picture of Loper
at aquinas they are allowed to wrestle a girl if it is at districts or state; but that is the only exception

"Show me a man that is thoroughly satisfied and I'll show you a failure."
Rookie
seems hypocritical to me to be able to wrestle at one place and not another. I agree with, "you know" on his comment that wrestling is no more sexual than any other sport. Someone who thinks it is obviously doesn't know the sport. Coach Brand, I understand your position but don't you feel like your hands are tied? Does St. Cecilia not want wrestling in their school?, or any Catholic school for that matter. Yes I am a practicing Catholic also! My opinion is, anyone who wants to compete in a sport, female in a male sport or male in a female sport, should be given a chance. I am a head football coach and I welcome anyone who wants to play, although there may be some differences in the fairness of a male playing volleyball.
Junior Varsity
There is no exception to the rule anymore. Aquinas and all other Lincoln diocese Catholic schools cannot wrestle girls.
Rookie
To any girl that wrestles at the High School level...More power too ya! I know I wouldn't have the guts to do it, no matter how much I love the sport. But, I agree with what Bula had to say about Morales. It just doesn't seem right for a girl to roll around on a mat with a guy. And I know it isn't a sexual sport. When kids are little and a girl wants to wrestle that seems just fine, but at the High School level I truly believe it should be only a 'guys' sport.