Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    How long before a better Big 12 conference is formed?

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
How long before a better Big 12 conference is formed? Login/Join

Junior High
posted   Report This Post  
With only 4 teams it seems logical that the Big 12 will at some time look at forming a new wrestling conference with other teams without creating tremendous travel difficulties. Obviously the combining with the Big 10 would make the most sense but I don't think that will happen. Why couldn't they add teams like Central Michigan, Boise State, Wyoming, N. Colorado, N. Iowa or even Arizona State?
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I agree the Big 12 needs to expand. Boise State and ASU are both in the Pac-10 in wrestling. Central Michigan won't leave the MAC. I always wondered why the Western Wrestling Conference didn't join the Big 12. Wyoming, Northern Iowa, North Dakota State, Utah Valley, Air Force, South Dakota State, and Northern Colorado. The Big 12 could do what the Pac-10 has done and complete their conference with teams outside of their football conference.
State Qualifier
A few years after UNI went from DII to DI we applied to join the Big 8, which had exactly the same teams as the Big 12, and were turned down.
Rookie
I think Iowa State and and Missouri should go to the MAC. Kansas and Kansas State need to go to the either the WAC or Mountain West. Okla. & Oke State should bail on Texas and go to the PAC 10 Not only would that give them a few more teams to wrestle but it my also save Wrestling in the Pac 10.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
BarryLotion, There will only be 4 schools left in the Big 12, Missouri, ISU, OSU and OU. I think the most logical option is to put them in with the West Region. UNI, Utah Valley State, Wyoming, Airforce, UNC, SDSU, NDSU. 11 Teams would be a good regional. It would also give the current west region kids a better chance to qualifiy for nationals since the region would be given more NCAA qalifying spots than it has now.
Novice
Picture of ArmBar
Would they be required to join another conference or could they keep the current conference for wrestling (i.e. qualify 3 vs previously qualifying 4 for NCAA's).