Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Biggest problem with the new weight loss

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Biggest problem with the new weight loss Login/Join

Novice
posted   Report This Post  
I dislike the fact that we can't weigh-in wrestlers up a weight class for duals without starting the weight descent over again. We have a Tuesday dual early in the season and I frequently moved kids up 5 lbs. to give them a break and they could easily be to weight by the end of the week. If I were to do that now they would have to wait 3 weeks until they are back to weight. I did the figures based on a wrestler weighing 125 pounds and moving him up to 130. Now the kid will have to sit out that dual or really cut back on weekends.
Novice
Picture of ArmBar
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Isn't it based on what his actual weight is for the weigh-in even if he's up a weight class? The key thing is don't let a wrestler go up 2 weight classes or you'll lose his cert at the lowest weight.
Novice
Yes, it is based on what they actually weigh-in at. I don't think you understand the point I am trying to make. I wouldn't let them get two weights over anyway. I think the old way of letting them go up a weight for a Tuesday dual was a good idea, if they are losing some weight.

but i think what he is saying is, they use the weight they weigh in with so if a kid wrestles 119 and wrestles 125 for a dual weighing in at 122 his descention plan starts all over again at 122.

"It's in the bag coach, it's in the bag."
NCAA Champion
This whole idea is set up to make kids cut weight the right way. A wrestler can't weigh-in 5 pounds over his certified weight on tuesday and make it back down to his certified weight by saturday in a healthy way. This is a good rule...just my opinion...everyone is entitled to theirs.

happy thanks giving
Novice
Picture of starwrestler
Dip Tanks,Skin Calipers,Tanita scales. Refractometers vs test strips. All this is very un-standardized. Everyone is doing it a little different. I truly believe in trying to allow kids to lose weight in a healthy way, but all this rule is doing is making kids cut earlier than they normally do and get 2 -3 lbs below weight, pass hydration make weight and your done. If you are hydrated and make weight you are certified period! No progression and body composition doesn't matter.
For example: Wrestler A passes hydration test, weigh's 125 lbs and is 1% body fat . He is certified at 125. Now he can eat and dehydrate himself the rest of the season if he chooses.
This rule has too many loop holes and variables, but I do give the NSAA credit for trying to make a bad thing a good thing!
Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
A local Class D Team has seven kids out , four are at the same weight , three will quit because they are too small to go up and can't beat the best guy , and are not alowed to drop with the new rules Frown

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger

Rookie
The biggest problem is that some people play by the rules and some find ways around the rules.

If you have found a way around the rules then basically nothing has changed as far as who can wrestle where.

If you go strictly by the rules, you can end up screwing yourself and your team.

What's funny is the folks that use potions and everything else to make sure they're hydrated then still fail the test.
Junior Varsity
Picture of S0404
AIM: Online Status For Spartan69ALM04
Not only do these rule changes make the sport much more appealing to people who may not consider themselves "wrestling fans", these new rule changes do alot to make the sport more enjoyable for wrestlers...

I'd say there are alot of people that arn't aware of anything about wrestling other than the fact, "I think it's sick how kids have to lose that much weight"... Understanding the sport, most knowledgable wrestling fans always wrote this off to, "It's part of the sport", "It's the wrestlers choice to cut weight", but these rule changes are actually taking actions on something that is seen as a very touchy issue to alot of people...

I've known wrestlers who have had lost all fun in the sport and even quit wrestling just because of how drained and tired you get of not being able to eat regular meals... Being expected to cut 10-15 pounds each season really takes away from the excitment and fun that a wrestler has in the year...

But on the other hand, How about a little consistancy? I find it very hard to support this new hydration testing system when the people making the rules don't even know what they are doing yet! If you're going to do it (which i don't agree with) Make a standardized test! I think i've heard already about 5 different ways to test hydration and I can't imagine all of them yield identicle results... This is a flaw in the system...

Why do we need Hydration testing? Can't we have a required part in a physical with a doctors signature stating the wrestlers lowest healthy weight? Then again there are different doctors with different definitions of healthy...

All in all I think this rule change is a step in the right direction.. This year i expect to see wrestlers with alot more excitement for the sport, and going back to the roots of any sport, having fun.. But I hope to see this rule be refined and changed every year to create a little consistancy. Or else we will be starting from square one again 5 years down the road after people find ways around it.