Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Huskerland 2009 in Hastings

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Huskerland 2009 in Hastings Login/Join

State Qualifier
posted   Report This Post  
What were some thoughts?
Junior High
Picture of Cornfed
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
i liked the kearney venue better, otherwise it seemed like all the other ones we had been to, in and out in 4 hours
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
Here is one coaches opinion.
I know why we went to Hastings because of the money and the site is alright. It would work a lot better if clubs were limited to the number of coaches they could have on the floor. Nobody check passes at all and every Tom, Dick and Harry caused congestion. I had 24 wrestlers participate and a couple of sessions I was the only coach we had on the floor. The tournament would be over an average of 1 hour less each day if the "Club" coaches would not argue every call. I watched plenty of High School coaches this weekend and for the most part they were there to coach,teach and help these young wrestlers. I didn't see them berate and cuss at these young men and for what a kids wrestling tournament. Come on these youth have a long time to get ready for when it really counts High School. My club isn't perfect and I have had to tell some dads to knock it off, however I am trying to teach these young wrestlers the right and wrong way to wrestle and in end it has payed off for me. Go ahead and sound off if you think I am off based.
Novice
Picture of bccdavid
The Hasting venue will work, but I like the Kearney site better. Hastings was VERY congested. The floor was crowded and the seating was limited. As Bulldog said, no one seemed to be checking coaches passes, so there were LOTS of extra's on the floor.
Rookie
Agree with Bulldog. Coaches passes were not enforced at all-- Why pay extra for them if you don't need one to get on the floor? "Club Dads" need to be controlled. Just a few of these idiots make all of us parents look bad-- and all who were there know which clubs I am speaking of. Limit coaches to 2/corner--no more-- if they don't like it move them to the top where they belong -- and get someone with Huskerland with some fortitude to enforce it. And yes, I did bend the ear of two board members about my concerns-- hope it didn't fall on deaf ears.
Junior High
Any team results? I noticed they don't have them posted on their website, and I was unable to attend this year.
Rookie
Picture of DevilYouth
Class AA
1st BJSA
2nd Neb City

Class A
1st Team GI
2nd Plattsmouth

Class B
1st Millard South
2nd Lincoln Warriors
2nd Aurora

Class C
1st Milford
2nd Plainview

Class D
1st Central City
2nd Duncan

Sam Pfeifer
Director, Plattsmouth Youth Wrestling
Rookie
Picture of grapplinman
Hi All,

Rest assured, your criticisms and ideas will not fall on deaf ears. We are always looking for ways to improve.

Kearney had been a bigger venue with a lot of upside, but UNK (the admin and not Marc) made it nearly impossible to stay. However, Kearney is now interested in bidding when the current contract runs out.

We will be working on the floor issue. Next year you should see some clear improvement. The arena poses some unique challenges for us; now that we have one year under our belts, we should be able to make some quality adjustments.

We hope all the Huskerland folks out there will take advantage of one or more of our free clinics. It should be a tremendous opportunity for our youth.
Rookie
Picture of DevilYouth
quote:
Originally posted by grapplinman:
Rest assured, your criticisms and ideas will not fall on deaf ears.

Grapplinman,

I hope that there is some truth to this in the future because it wasn't happening this weekend.

Sam Pfeifer
Director, Plattsmouth Youth Wrestling
Rookie
Picture of BISONBROWN
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
I agree, coaches passes were not enforced and it seemed like the wrestlers were all on the floor because there was no place for them to sit. It was extremely congested & I will admit, I did NOT have a coaches pass and I was on the floor when my son wrestled because there were no seat even close to his mat. There were so many people standing in the middle it was impossible to see.

I heard there is a 3 year contract there, if that is the case, I sure hope huskerland moves before my 6-year old gets to State! And I am glad the other one will be in HS next year! I can't even imagine what Saturday was like.