Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Ducking opponents.

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Ducking opponents. Login/Join

<a fan>
posted   Report This Post  
The other day I was having a discussion with a state finalist from last year and I asked where he would be at weight wise for this his Senior year. His response came as a suprise. He stated that he should at this weight but was cutting to avoid the top kid at the next weight. This got me thinking, so I am asking the question , how often does this happen, is it the individuals decision or the teams. And if it is going on what is everyones opinion of it. My thoughts are you duck no one, because it will always catch up with you down the road.
<Jason Sturek>
I view cutting weight a bit differently than I used to. I used to cut a lot, not because I was ducking anybody but just because it made feel more dedicated and focused.

That decision is not for everybody, and it's probably the wrong way to go more often than not. It was just how I viewed the sport at the time.

As for ducking, I bet it happens quite a bit. It's a personal choice, though. Nobody dogs on somebody for wrestling up a weight class to avoid anybody, and it's much harder to lose weight than to gain it or be on full feed.

There's no right or wrong here. I will say this though: If you're cutting to dodge somebody, you might not want to ask yourself how confident you are in your abilities.

You won't like the answer.
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
If a move to a different weight clas, up or dowm, helps out your team then I don't see a move as ducking an opponent but as helping your team. If your move to a different weight class increases your chances of scoring more points because that weight class is weaker and your move allows a teammate into the lineup that is better than the one he is replacing, then I think the move to avoid a tough wrestler so your team could score more points is alright. You don't always have to be a macho guy and take on the world, it is smarter to pick your battles that you can win to help your team reach its goals.
<Guest>
Now if we are using the old fable as a guide...in the end...you come full circle!

Let me illustrate...I am a tough SOB at 145 pounds...I look around and see that 8 guys are in my weight class that could all win the title. So I cut to 140...and low and behold...so do the other 7 guys...now what have I gained...we are all in the same weight class! So I decide to eat and get back to 145...oops...so do 4 of the other guys...darn...I go to 152.... and look at what I find...6 guys that were afraid of 160...

SO in the end...we all get goosed at some time and have to chase the kid around the circle. Might as well pick a weight that is best for you and your team and go at it! Who cares if you get beat in the end! I always want to face the toughest guys any ways!
<duckman>
That last post is right on. Best thing a wrestler can do is find the weight where he wrestles and feels the best. The rest is in the dice.

"If you want to be the best you have to beat the best"

-----------------
RR
<guy>
In my opinion I see no reason to drop weight if someone is there. If you are any good you will stay there and beat them.
<Doogie>
I will not duck anything. I believe in head on confrontation! I would battle the best day in and day out! Of course I still do not mess with mother nature...she let that cold wind blow right threw me once to many times!
<jmonarch>
I think that you have to have confidence in yourself. If you want to dodge someone, you obviously don't have any. If it is best for the team that you change weight, it is ok but not just because you are scared to lose.
<Big Red>
This topic is tough to defend either side. The only right answer is to wait until you are in the wrestling room at the beginning of practice, and see how your team shakes out, and then decide what is best for the team. Although wrestling is mainly an individual sport, the team side of this sport can really provide an opportunity to show class. I am sure that more decisions on weight cutting are made to avoid a tough opponent(s) than are made to help out the team. How many times have you seen a good wrestler sit the bench in January because his 'teammate' made the decision to cut late and certify at his weight to leave his 'options' open, leaving a good, maybe not great, kid wrestling JV or wrestling up a weight where he cannot be successful. Perhaps that is the role played by a quality coach who emphasizes fair play to his own teammates.
Rookie
Picture of Cschumacher
Cutting weight or not losing weight to duck someone (seen many small heavyweights that should of wrestled 215) is not the way I see it. The wrestler is simple giving himself the opportunity to be a champion. Staying at a weight just to wrestle someone is fine but if that individual wants a championship and thinks that they can do it by going up a weight or down a weight, more power to them. Let the person obtain the dream.

quote:
Originally posted by big red:
This topic is tough to defend either side. The only right answer is to wait until you are in the wrestling room at the beginning of practice, and see how your team shakes out, and then decide what is best for the team. Although wrestling is mainly an individual sport, the team side of this sport can really provide an opportunity to show class. I am sure that more decisions on weight cutting are made to avoid a tough opponent(s) than are made to help out the team. How many times have you seen a good wrestler sit the bench in January because his 'teammate' made the decision to cut late and certify at his weight to leave his 'options' open, leaving a good, maybe not great, kid wrestling JV or wrestling up a weight where he cannot be successful. Perhaps that is the role played by a quality coach who emphasizes fair play to his own teammates.

Well put big red

-----------------
RR
<jmonarch>
Losing is a part of the game. If you do not want to lose, don't wrestle. It is bound to happen. And anyone can be beat at any one time by any one person. Look at steve griese, he didn't dodge brill, now he is a state champion who beat a 3 timer.
<matman05>
That is a good example. If it benefits the team that you go a different weight, and a good kid happens to be there, you cannot put your team into a worse position just so that you can have success.