Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Wrestling Changes Part 2
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Wrestling Changes Part 2 Login/Join

Novice
posted   Report This Post  
I am sure all of you are wondering about the change in me these past few days. I am sure some of you are surprised at the apology. I know when to admit my short comings. I want to tell you what happened. It's pretty funny but true.

I was sitting at home the other night watching the new sitcom MY NAME IS EARL. Normally this wouldn't be going anywhere but I found my charma just like Earl did! Yeah, I found my charma. I figured that I need to make amends for all the problems I have caused people on this forum. The best way for me to do this is to be a better person and not attack others.

You have all been waiting for part II. As I sat there thinking about all the wrongs I have committed on this site, an interesting thought crept into my mind. Who have I wronged the most? How can I best make it up to that person? Hey, hey, hey, this is one hard question to answer. Again, charma stepped in.

I feel I have most wronged Mr. Carnes these past couple of months. I really want to make amends. In order to make things better between the two of us, I had to think about the problems between us. There really aren't that many because Mike and I are really on the same page with Nebraska wrestling issues. I guess if I have to come clean, then I have to detail the nature of my so called attacks. First of all, I hate it when people hang their dirty laundry in public. I have felt for some time that Mike did this when he talked openly about his personal life and his personal struggles. After thinking about it some more, I have a new conclusion. If Mike wants to do this then it is his life not mine. The second problem I had was with Mike's journalism. I have felt for some time that Mike can basically be above the law on the forum. I just never got the idea that Mike could balance good objective journalism with is personal views on almost everything. I had a problem with Mike boldly proclaiming how good NWI was/is when it literally fell apart right before our eyes. Now this is no longer an issue because Mike has renewed his NWI efforts.

I feel like I have grown and ready to move forward. I want to apologize to Mike for everything I have done. In an effort to right the ship, I will now detail part two to all of you.

I don't honestly think that Nebraska wrestling will ever become unified in thought or direction without one objective, non-biased leader. Yeah, I want everyone together at one table, but I do realize how HUGE a task this is. I just don't see it happening with someone that has a position as a coach, or leader of one of the organizations. There are just too many hidden objectives that will limit our growth. However, there is a person or two that can make this happen. You can rest easy TK and Badger, it won't come from me. I think if it happens, it is going to have to come from Mike Carnes and Ross Halford. The only one who can bring us altogether is the very person who has traveled far and wide throughout Nebraska. Who is the only person who knows the pulse of Nebraska wrestling from East to West and North to South? Mike. Who is the person who has the time to devote to such a venture? Mike. Who is the person who has been to every meeting from USA to Huskerland? Mike. Who knows the vision of Nebraska wrestling? Mike. Who has rapport with the college guys? Mike. I think you get the picture. The one guy that could bind us all together is MIKE!

So here is some food for thought. We need to get Mike to get us all together via meeting or with his publication. Maybe he can even work with Mr. HB to get the ball rolling. We form some kind of statewide association. Mike can be the chair of this organization. Ross could be the assistant chair. I'm not stupid even though some of you think I am. Mike wouldn't do it for free. We would have to charge a fee to belong to the organization with the some of the money going toward paying Mike for his efforts and toward running this association. If you look at Michigan’s and Ohio’s youth programs, they are really moving forward. You all might think this is far fetched. Am I right? Even so, if you think long and hard enough, all roads really go through Mike. He is the logical choice to take us into the next ten to fifteen years.

Part III will detail how Mike can put together such a monumental organization. More later!
Rookie
Picture of St.Nick
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
HB looks like all you have to do is drop the bomb of not being aloud on this site any more and things change very quick!
Wrassln this is a much nicer post and I thank you for being so possitive it is nice, now dont let us all down and be just setting a trap for Mike to walk into,be and stay real its a great change. This just might be a great day!!!
Junior High
Wrasslin wrote:

quote:
First of all, I hate it when people hang their dirty laundry in public. I have felt for some time that Mike did this when he talked openly about his personal life and his personal struggles

I respect your opinion, but, one must also realize the first step in overcoming one's issues is to admit the issue exists. Having never personally experienced problems like Mike's, I don't fully understand, but, having been near some of the situations Mike has described, I can empathize with him and others in his shoes. Mike has a lot of friends in the wrestling community (myself included) and he hasn't been making excuses about NWI Magazine or leaving the Guide or any of his other shortcomings (no pun intended Mike). He's simply coming clean and working through his issues one day at a time and doing it through this site because here is where he gets his message across and gets just a little extra support.

That said... Where do WE start? I might suggest starting small... Maybe start a thread here to develop an agenda... Negative posts and personal attacks on that thread should be summarily deleted. Coaches' and/or officials clinics, association meetings, hey, maybe get NSAA involved, as well as USA Wrestling and Huskerland. My guess is that you will see a lot of the same faces from all of the organizations, but with a solid agenda and common goals, the sky is the limit. Somewhere out there in another state may be a model (or three) that we can pick information from and use... In my four years in Nebraska (and I say this as an outsider), one issue that I have seen is that this state, at times, tries to be an island unto itself and turns its collective nose up at outside influences, especially when it comes to sports. That, ladies and gentlemen is the first point of failure.

Mikey may be a non-wrestling fool, but he knows his stuff. It may be hard to be objective at times, but, he does a pretty good job of doing so, and is a logical choice with his contacts.

The definition of a true optimist is a person who can tell you to go to Hades and make you look forward to the trip.
Novice
It had nothing to do with HB dropping me from the site. It was about doing what is best for NE. There is no set up coming down the path...I am about moving forward to get this state to the next level.

In all of my reflections, it just makes the most sense that Mike lead this change! He has the time, knowledge and support of the wrestling community!
Rookie
Picture of grapplinman
I have to admit that it is against my better judgement to post right now, but I guess we will find out if you are really on the up and up or not. You said a lot in your part 2 pontification. My guess is that you are going to have to see if Mike wants to do everything you have summarily put on his shoulders. It might be easier to raise the Titanic, but I am all ears. While we have you on your lighter side, Wrasslin, I was wondering if you were listening to the same Cassette that Earl was? Yeah, I watch the show too.
Novice
You have good judgement coach, I am on the "up and up" as you say. In fact a friend of my recently said he has seen a great change in my overall outlook since the job change and all. It is stressful when we make changes.

It is funny how things workout, since you watch the show also, you will know what I am talking about. I am trying to fix all of my 112 bad things cause I want to get my charma back! This web site is like the car hitting me! LOL!

Mike has not answered, I hope he is considering allowing all of us to nominate him to facilitate this state wide organization! I think he is the most obvious choice! Do you think that there is anyone else out there that could handle the job if Mike is not interested?
Junior High
May not be as much a matter of interest right now, but of trust and respect. I think it may take a while to mend that burned bridge with Mike. Me, on the other hand... As long as one starts mending from his/her end and is sincere, I will do the same from mine.

Chuck Scherer(sp?) from Columbus may be a good choice. Don't really know him, but know who he
is.

He's deep into Huskerland, and he's serious about the sport.

I saw the show, too... Stupid funny, but funny. Also gives one a lot to think about how he/she mistreated people in the past and that doing good deeds to those mistreated people may mean good things for him/her...

And remember.... No good deed goes unpunished.... Wait... That's a military motto!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: anarchist,
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Grapp...I tried to raise the Titanic the other day -- that's how I threw my back out.

Seriously, though...when somebody bangs on my character and personal life for weeks on end, then does an abrupt 180 and props me up as "the logical choice to take us into the next ten to fifteen years" -- well, let's just say I've played enough poker in my life to have a pretty good feel for somebody who is selling a full house while holding a low pair.

Concept-wise, I agree with Wrasslin 100 percent -- we need to find some way to bring the entire state together, including the NSAA, NSWCA, USA, AAU and Huskerland, and come up with a unified vision for wrestling in Nebraska. If you look at some of the surrounding states and some of the big players in the sport, we need to see what they are having success with and use that as a blueprint to design our own success story within the sport.

But before I sign off on anything and commit myself to something of this magnitude, Wrasslin, there needs to be a face-to-face meeting between the two of us to address some issues -- most notably the personal attacks that you have authored on this board. Making an on-board apology is as easy to do as making an anonymous attack on somebody. But when it comes to assaulting my character, family, and personal life, such an apology is not enough.

I've already got commitments lined up now that I'm no longer at the Gretna Guide and News, many wrestling-related, but I am willing to sit down with you, person to person, and discuss this situation. I want what is best for the wrestling community of the great state of Nebraska, as all of us do, and if you are willing to meet I will be all ears.

Badger nailed it when he said that it's hard to consider the credibility of someone who has played the negativity card so often when he abruptly wants to play nice with those he has bludgeoned with his contributions to this post. I'm willing to forgive and move forward if you are willing to meet the demands I've set forth here.

E-mail is mikeyc@nwimag.com and phone number is (402) 660-9682. The rest is up to you...

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
Picture of grapplinman
Hey Mike,

Last time I checked.....that darned ole Titanic is still at the bottom of the ocean. And remember what happened in Deadwood my friend.....is it Aces and eights? Keep your feet planted on the ground!
Novice
Mike,
You already know who I am...so accept my sincerest apology! I am glad that you are willing to forgive and move forward. I will at a future date, meet with you and apologize in person. Until then, lets get this thing going and headed in the right direction.

I believe wrestling and the position that we are talking about here fits you to a tee. I have every confidence that you will do a great job of organizing all of the people and structuring this state.

The power that you are going to be entrusted with will give you a chance to really demonstrate your skills and abilities! Good luck to you...I will be there every step of the way to support you!
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I'm not going along with anything until the apology is made face-to-face. Simple as that. Once that is accomplished, we can move forward.

It is not a request, it is a demand. If you want me on board, you will meet this simple requirement. I have left the contact information for you to arrange this.

You burned the bridge...I've given you the tools and the blueprint, and now it's up to you to rebuild it.

Novice
Mike,

You have your apology. I will apologize to you when I see you at some point in person. I am not going to make a special meeting by your "demands". I have apologized and admitted my wrong doing so that everyone can see. I am apologizing for the wrong things I said, when in reality I could have chosen a better way to disagree with some of your postings and the subject matter you posted.

If this is not good enough for you and you choose not to be on board, then that will be your lose. I think you can bring some value to the organization and may be the best person to lead it. But if this comes down to an ego issue, then we will have to look for someone else to lead the charge!

Congratulations on your other offers. I hope one of them makes you happy!

Wrasslin!
World Champion
Picture of NWI
This is not an ego issue. It is a human issue. With very few exceptions, I have made it a point to personally apologize to those who I have hurt with my words, be they in print, on the radio or through the Internet. I expect the same treatment in return.

You have an opportunity to properly correct this situation, and considering where you stand with the vast majority of people who you hope to bring together to better our sport, it's an opportunity you can't afford to reject. The sooner you rectify this situation, the better your chances of not only getting me on board, but also those who you will need to make this a reality...many of whom have already e-mailed or contacted me in support of the stance I am taking here.

I want to see wrestling thrive and survive in Nebraska as much as you or anybody else that peruses this website, and I seek only win-win situations when it comes to doing what it takes to achieve that goal. This is definitely a win-win situation for both of us, but it's up to you to make it so and help us move forward on this issue.

Badger said it best in a previous thread...your anonymous approach puts a great deal of apprehension in the minds of those of us who have fought the good fight to better the sport of wrestling. You may very well be a credible individual who could bring a lot to the table, but I am not going to fully sign on to anything OR accept an apology unless I meet the person and have a chance to talk with that person face-to-face. That's all I'm asking of you...legitimize yourself by meeting with me in person and putting these issues to rest so that we can move ahead with the bigger picture.

I'm available for lunchtime meetings Thursday and Friday and anytime after 4 p.m. today (Wednesday). I am also free all day Saturday, and Sunday evening. My e-mail and phone are already on this thread.

Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
Time to come out if your legit Wrasslin.

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger

Rookie
In my opinion, from what I read on this site the past couple of weeks. I would not want either NWI or Wrasslin to lead any kind of a "new movement" in Nebraska wrestling.

And just so I do not get called an anonymous moron or an anonymous idiot:

I am Joe Arlt
Novice
Mike,

I know you are itching to receive a face to face apology. I believe in due time, this will happen. The time for this meeting is not now. I am sure this doesn't meet with your approval and for that I am sorry. I just don't think it would be a good thing for me or for you at this time. It appears as though you are putting this apology thing above the good of Nebraska wrestling. It sounds like an apology means you will put forward your best effort but if I don't, you won't? Sounds like you are trying to punish me or use the meeting to confirm your suspicions of who I am? I really don't think this is about me. I am not going to meet with you, plain and simple. What you will be doing is punishing yourself if you refuse to meet YOUR destiny. What you really do is rob Nebraska of its greatest resource. YOU! So don’t let this opportunity pass you by!

So let me review where we are right now, and you tell me your take on it. I think we both agree that unifying wrestling leadership in Nebraska is a worthy goal. I think we both agree that you have the best background and that you have the most skills to do such a thing. I think you agree with the fact: I don't think people are going to drop what they are doing to follow me no matter if I come out or not. Most people have cast judgment already. The way I see it, I don't need to be a major figure in this effort at all. So as we stand today, Mike, you have to decide whether you care enough about Nebraska wrestling to take up a leadership role or you just don't see the time and effort being worth it.

This will get done and we will move forward. If not, then the only people who lose are the kids! So in the end, can the adults set aside their egos and get the work done?
Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
Good bye Troll !

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger

Novice
A troll does not have my knowledge and expertise in the area of wrestling. Maybe GO4zPin you would like an opprotunity to participate and be positive!

I hope you do!
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Wrasslin,

Here's the situation as I see it...you have made a name for yourself on this board through anonymous personal attacks, character assassination and attempting to wreck the goodwill and credibility generated by several people in the wrestling community, myself included.

Now, all of a sudden, you have turned over a new leaf and are trying to get the movers and shakers of our sport together for a powwow that, according to you, is in the best interests of wrestling in Nebraska. You want to create an organization and have ME serve as the leader of the organization. Not two weeks ago, I was bad for wrestling, NWI was dead and I was a non-entity. How did I go from that to "the man" in your eyes in such a short amount of time?

I don't want to come off as arrogant or anything, but based on how people have responded to your posts, both on this thread and others, it would seem that you need me a heck of a lot more than we need you. I am already involved in a number of wrestling-related opportunities that are going to benefit this sport and this state on a variety of levels, so for you to question whether I "care enough about Nebraska wrestling to take up a leadership role or you just son't see the time and effort being worth it" is, at best, laughable.

As I said before, this is not about ego. When it comes to this sport, the ego card is not in my hand. Never has been, never will be. Nebraska wrestling already has me in their corner, and I fully intend to continue busting my butt for the betterment of our sport, with or without your support.

All I would get from a face-to-face meeting with you is an apology from the person who assaulted me on this website. That's all I have to gain from this demand. You stand to gain much more by agreeing to meet, in my opinion (as well as others), and it would also be an opportunity for us to put our heads together on some ideas we both have percolating in our minds. You stand to lose a lot more out of this than I do.

The bottom line is that your unwillingness to do the human thing is preventing us from moving forward. This is an opportunity for both of us to take the next step, but it's up to you.

Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
Wrasslin,

I think most people would agree with what you've been saying, and I think you have some valid points.

You have to understand that nobody in their right mind would commit to such an undertaking and invest their time, energy, and ideas with a party who wishes to remain anonymous. I would love to be a part of this and learn more about what you might have to offer, but there's no way I'm going to risk losing valuable time and resources with my family for somebody I don't know. I think most would agree.

Best of luck to you.