Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Dumb Question?

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Dumb Question? Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
Ok, last year the weight-limit for heavyweight was 300, why was it changed?

"You can learn a line from a win and a book from a defeat"
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Last year the weight limit was 285. A few years ago it was 275 and was changed to 285. As far as I know it has never been 300.
Rookie
Picture of warria_189
the weight limit was never 300.

Warrior: an image symbolizing one aspect of a great force, that if handeled properly, can win you many battles, but if neglected, can rise up and be your nemesis
-Bruce Lee

quote:
Originally posted by warria_189:

Try telling that to Mike Max et al....

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Junior Varsity
Picture of rmh
quote:

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but back in the "stone ages" I don't believe heavyweight had a weight limit. Eek
Junior Varsity
Easy there rmh, I like to think I'm young and I remember when heavy weight was unlimited and there was no 215. Smile
Rookie
rmh you are correct it was Unlimited
Rookie
Picture of Cschumacher
I am for bringing the limit up to 300 or going unlimited again. We are pushing our linemen to become bigger and then limiting the chances for teams to have a HWT. Does not make much sense to do this.
I know some will say that a lineman should not be fat anyway (I am one) but you cannot tell this to some football coaches and parents. Why not roll with it and move the weight up. I also think there should be a weight between 215 and Hwt.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Chad...I wouldn't call you FAT. Big-boned, maybe... Big Grin

One of the first wrestling matches I saw, Milford wrestled Tri County and Tri County had a heavyweight by the name of Lydell Miller, who weighed so much they couldn't get an accurate weight on the scale in the locker room (think it maxed out at 350). He went up against our heavyweight, who was wrestling his first-ever varsity match that night and tipped the scales at a rather bulky 200 pounds (I think he was fully clothed with two winter parkas and snow boots when he stepped on the scale).

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
Picture of warria_189
quote:
Originally posted by rmh:
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but back in the "stone ages" I don't believe heavyweight had a weight limit. Eek

You are correct there rmh. Im pretty sure that they didn't have the 285 limit then. Thats why they invented sumo wrestling. Smile

Warrior: an image symbolizing one aspect of a great force, that if handeled properly, can win you many battles, but if neglected, can rise up and be your nemesis
-Bruce Lee
Rookie
Hmm..... ok, well i was just wonderin cause last year i wrestled a kid that wieghed-in at around 300 and this year i have to cut wieght and im at about 290 so i didnt know what was goin on

"You can learn a line from a win and a book from a defeat"
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Eagle1:
Easy there rmh, I like to think I'm young and I remember when heavy weight was unlimited and there was no 215. Smile

Unlike you, Eagle 1, who THINKS you are young, I KNOW that I am young and when I started coaching the last two weight classes were 165, then unlimited. About 10 years before that they were 154, then unlimited.

When Chris Taylor was wrestling at Iowa State I asked him what he weighed. He told me that every so often he went to a grain elevator in Ames to check his weight. He told me that once it was 515 lbs, but that he was sure the scale was wrong. He was a large lad.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Frank...that's what we call a "big fella."

A friend of mine knows Lydell Miller and says he conservatively weighs in at around six bills now.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray