Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Blood and Guts Round Cleveland Style...
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Blood and Guts Round Cleveland Style... Login/Join

<Yawgmoth>
posted   Report This Post  
Mike Santone is a Awesome wrestler. he knows what to do in so many different situations. look at his final match at state. he got stuck but then pulled it out to a pin in 1:41. He has accomplished so much and shown everyone that he truly is a great wrestler. Congratulations Mike you did great.

Yeah, Santone did awesome. And I didn't even predict that he'd be an all-american on that one thread that i started. he ended up doing better than anyone else from nebraska.
<Santone>
He did wrestle really well, but dont give him to much credit, and take anything away from any of the other wrestlers. Santone didnt wrestle one single ranked wrestler nationally. He had by far the easiest weight class there. Look at the other guys that wrestled, they all were losing to nationally ranked wrestlers. Browne beat the 5th rated wrestler all class in the Nation. He loss by 3 to Tripp, who got 3rd. Nelson, Chris, they all wrestled very well.
Rookie
Picture of grapplinman
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Just one last little note and then I am outta here! I have to give Mike a lot of credit for his accomplishments. Anyone who can place at this caliber of tournament deserves all the credit in the world. But other than his wrestling I have to give Mike credit for being a good person who works hard. He's had to beat a lot of odds to get where he is at today. As a middle school kid, I didn't give him much chance. He didn't have a dad to raise him and he seemed to be an out of control youth. Most of the time kids like this end up into drugs or jail. Mike beat the odds, worked his butt off, and became a state champ as well as an All-American. Who wouldn't give credit for that! I am proud to have been his coach! nough said!

World Champion
Picture of HB
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Santone deserves every bit of credit. Unless you were there and know the caliber of wrestlers he faced then don't sit there and say it was easy. He beat a 4x Virginia champion, a highly touted wrestler from AZ, a St. Eds kid and Shryver who placed 5th at the Beast of the East losing by respectable scores to national studs Brandon Shelton of Oklahoma and Cameron Doggett of Ohio. I was talking to an assistant from a major collegiate program and he commented on how tough Santone wrestled. Great job Mike and congratulations on being an All American!
<Remember the Stallion>
If grapplinman is in fact Denson, why on gods green earth would you comment on Mike being a troubled youth that overcame the odds? That is his personal business and not for you to share. For someone that has done so much for the sport, I would have thought you above sharing personal information. It does not matter what kind of youth he had or what his family looks like. Just coach and leave the social work to someone else!
<takedown2>
Stallion, you got to be kidding!
Denson is like a Dad to this kid and would do anything for any of his wrestlers. There was nothing on that thread that Mike himself wouldn't have written. Mike and his family are very proud of what he has overcome. YOU ARE JUST LOOKING FOR TROUBLE. You want controversy, then watch TV. Denson helped make this kid what he is today. A smart, strong man who is ready for college. Good luck Mike.
<Guest>
Amazing that Browne keeps getting so much credit for losing to Tripp (who finished third) by 4 points and Farrell gets 0 for beating him. Santone should get all the credit in the world for what he did out there. Obviously, he was a very focused kid and was out there to prove something. Nobody out there is easy.
<LIL WRESTLER>
Me myself knowing Denson and Santone very well, he wasnt saying anything that Mike wouldnt of said. Mike knows that he as over come a lot and that he has accomplished so much. Mike is a hard worker that never gives up. Denson knows that and would do ANYTHING for Mike or any other of his wrestlers. Mikes family is extremely proud of him so is Denson.
<VoiceofReason>
I can't speak for everyone else but Farrell might not be getting alot of credit for pinning Tripp because he was getting majored at the time it happened. Now that doesn't take alot away from the accomplishment, however, it does need to be taken into account.
<Guest>
Believe the score was 11-5 according to the link to Cleveland so really not any worse than what Browne was getting beat by. In looking @ his losses it was 4-3 and 7-4 to Cotten so not beaten any worse than anybody else.
<Guest>
I have heard skutt say how Farrell gets no respect and everyone is talking about everyone but Matt. I am sure that is not concerning Matt. All the boys sound like they did well at Nationals, and all have my respect for going and doing their best.
<Guest>
quote:
Originally posted by guest:
I have heard skutt say how Farrell gets no respect and everyone is talking about everyone but Matt. I am sure that is not concerning Matt. All the boys sound like they did well at Nationals, and all have my respect for going and doing their best.

You've heard Skutt say Farrell gets no respect? Who do you mean by saying Skutt? What are you talking about?
<VoiceofReason>
Most of Farrell's points were from Tripp letting him up weren't they. I wasn't there so I don't know. Also, Browne beat Farrell by a good margin at state so you have to assume that he is the better of the two, don't you?
<GO4ZPIN>
Well said guest 6:18 .

Thanks for representing us all so well . These guys have brought a lot of excitment to the state these last 4 years .

We will miss watching you next year .
<Guest>
Actually, Farrell took Tripp down first. And @ state Browne was up by 1 and Farrell let him up and the final score was 5-3. I don't believe that is by a good margin. Scores like that could be reversed the next time they wrestle. Unfortunately, they only wrestled once against each other and you can't go by one match. Look at the splits between Coolidge & Boys Town kid and Sheard & Denson. The two are a lot of the same style and both need to bulk up for college.
<Remember the Stallion>
I do not care if Denson was Mike's godfather or the pope. He should not have made comments as the coach and teacher of this kid that referenced his personal life. Congratulate the kids and talk about their determination and hard work, but leave the personal details out of the discussion. I am sure if the Millard administrators were to see this, there would be questions about releasing student information on the web!
<Guest>
I agree. WIth stallion getting the boot last year for talking on here, I would think that coaches would be more careful these days!
<Observation>
Nebraska wrestling fans have certain individuals that they give almost hero status i.e Brandon Browne, Chris Oliver, Casey Kohl, jake Rucker and so on. When they win they are described as dominating atheletic superstars. When they lose, as was the case at the Senior Nationals these same people are quick to point out that it was because of this or that never do I recall someone on this site just flat out saying hey this kid got beat and or was outwrestled. I recall the Article by Mr Browne about him wanting respect & to be considered one of Nebraskas best, correct me if I am wrong didnt he just have a chance to prove he was the best at the Senior Nationals, must have been someone elses fault.
<Guest>
Why do certain people feel they need to get on here and tear down individuals that they probably don't even know? Some people on this board get ridiculous when it comes to that sort of thing. Hey "Observation", if you don't like what Browne had to say in an article, simply ignore it. Don't get on here and make a blanket negative statement about a group of people just because you feel that others have treated them with too much respect. Please don't try and tear down what others have accomplished and don't be so quick to point out their shortcomings. If I'm not mistaken, we all have shortcomings. Each of us also have had moments where we trully shine. Keep it positive please.
<VoiceofReason>
Do you think Browne did poorly? He pinned Weston Burt, AL (159-33), lost a close match to Lior Zamir, NJ (80-19), beat Quinn Gibson, TN (162-5), then lost a close match to Christopher Tripp, OH (128-31). I think Browne probably had the same problem that Oliver did which is that he was physically strong enough to wrestle at this weight. Browne will have a hard time dealing with his large frame at these lower weights because it means he isn't as strong as the guys he faces. IMO he has a good frame for a 174 pounder but needs to add about twenty pounds of muscle. Oliver on the other hand has a small frame and needs to drop down to 141 or build up a little muscle and wrestle 149.