Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Closing again

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Closing again Login/Join

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
posted   Report This Post  
Schools closing again, wind is high, highway's are a mess, rural roads drifting, temp. is dropping, sun is shining! Close the door Deano!
World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Whyyyyy.....back in MY day, they didn't close school for such things as snow and blowing snow. They MADE us come to school, even if we lived out in the country and had to walk 10 miles uphill, barefoot.

Whyyyyy....we LIKED doing such a thing. We didn't complain. We didn't whine to mommy and daddy and make them call the superintendent and threaten lawsuits or the like. By golly, if the superintendent could see out his front door, we had SCHOOL that day. And don't you forget it, mister.

You kids these days...those adults seem to have forgotten how we managed to survive back in the day. The weatherman comes on and forecasts a slight chance of flurries, and school administrators go running for the hills. They can't call off school fast enough anymore. Bunch of sissies...whyyyyy, if my superintendent were still alive today, he'd be shoveling his driveway at 4 a.m., backing his car out and personally open the doors to the building.

I tell ya'....these kids these days are just too goldarned soft. They don't know what it's like to open up their textbooks and have snow spill out from between the pages. They don't know what it's like to slip and fall on the ice wearing your best courduroy pants.

Bunch of spineless goobers....

(POSTER'S NOTE: The preceding was COMPLETE sarcasm. If any of this offends you in any way...DEAL WITH IT.)

quote:
Originally posted by TK:
Schools closing again, wind is high, highway's are a mess, rural roads drifting, temp. is dropping, sun is shining! Close the door Deano!

Sorry to hear that.

At least the forecast for Friday and Saturday is for good weather. I would hate to be forced to wait until Monday to get the bracket draws for the State Tournament!!

Mikey, you forgot "uphill, both ways". And I've never seen you in suspenders or bib overalls, you can't REALLY be old enough to have old man rants can you?? Big Grin

-----------------
RR
<Guest>
I agree about the kids being to spoiled today....below is a rather lengthy but true statement that was written by Paul Harvey....

We tried so hard to make things better for our kids that we made them worse. For my grandchildren, I'd like better. I'd really like for them to know about hand me down clothes and homemade icecream and leftover meat loaf sandwiches. I really would.

I hope you learn humility by being humiliated, and that you learn honesty by being cheated.
I hope you learn to make your own bed and mow the lawn and wash the car. And I really hope nobody gives you a brand new car when you are sixteen. It will be good if at least one time you can see puppies born and your old dog put to sleep. I hope you get a black eye fighting for something you believe in. I hope you have to share a bedroom with your younger brother/sister. And it's all right if you have to draw a line down the middle of the room, but when he wants to crawl under the covers with you because he's scared, I hope you let him.

When you want to see a movie and your little brother/sister wants to tag along, I hope you'll let him/her. I hope you have to walk uphill to school with your friends and that you live in a town where you can do it safely. On rainy days when you have to catch a ride, I hope you don't ask your driver to drop you two blocks away so you won't be seen riding with someone as uncool as your Mom. If you want a slingshot, I hope your Dad teaches you how to make one instead of buying one. I hope you learn to dig in the dirt and read books. When you learn to use computers, I hope you also learn to add and subtract in your head.

I hope you get teased by your friends when you have your first crush on a boy\girl, and when you talk back to your mother that you learn what ivory soap tastes like. May you skin your knee climbing a mountain, burn your hand on a stove and stick your tongue on a frozen flagpole. I don't care if you try a beer once, but I hope you don't like it. And if a friend offers you dope or a joint, I hope you realize he is not your friend.

I sure hope you make time to sit on a porch with your Grandma/Grandpa and go fishing with your Uncle. May you feel sorrow at a funeral and joy during the holidays. I hope your mother punishes you when you throw a baseball through your neighbor's window and that she hugs you and kisses you at Hannukah/Christmas time when you give her a plaster mold of your hand. These things I wish for you - tough times and disappointment, hard work and happiness. To me, it's the only way to appreciate life.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
And Paul Harvey. A nice message as I head out the door to wrestling practice. Moral of the story as it pertains to wrestling in my opinion, is, 'wrestling is hard, but it makes things in the future easier and more enjoyable'. That's my take and I'm sticking to it.

Rick Henry

<steve polycranopolis>
This is something else to ponder.....an email I received today:

Subject: Over 35

People over 35 should be dead.

Here's why ...........

According to today's regulators
and bureaucrats, those of us
who were kids in the 40's,
50's, 60's, or even maybe
the early 70's probably
shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered
with bright colored lead-based
paint.

We had no childproof lids
on medicine bottles, doors
or cabinets, ... and when we
rode our bikes, we had no
helmets.
(Not to mention the risks
we took hitchhiking.)

As children, we would ride
in cars with no seatbelts
or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup
truck on a warm day was
always a special treat!

We drank water from the
garden hose and not from
a bottle.

Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and
butter, and drank soda pop
with sugar in it, but we were
never overweight because
we were always outside
playing.

We shared one soft drink
with four friends, from one
bottle, and no one actually
died from this.

We would spend hours building
our go-carts out of scraps
and then rode down the hill,
only to find out we forgot
the brakes.

After running into the bushes
a few times, we learned to
solve the problem.

We would leave home in the
morning and play all day,
as long as we were back
when the street lights
came on.

No one was able to
reach us all day.

NO CELL PHONES!!!!!

Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations,
Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no
video games at all, no 99
channels on cable, video
tape movies, surround
sound, personal cell phones,
personal computers, or Internet
chat rooms.

We had friends!

We went outside and found
them.

We played dodge ball, and
sometimes, the ball would
really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got
cut and broke bones and
teeth, and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.

They were accidents.

No one was to blame but us.

Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched
each other and got black
and blue and learned to get
over it.

We made up games with
sticks and tennis  balls and
ate worms, and although we
were told it would happen, we did not put out very many
eyes, nor did the worms
live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to
a friend's home and knocked
on the door, or rang the
bell or just walked in and
talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't had to
learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as
smart as others, so they
failed a grade and were
held back to repeat the
same grade. Horrors!
Tests were not adjusted
for any reason.
Our actions were our own.

Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing
us out if we broke a law
was unheard of.

They actually sided
with the law.
Imagine that!

This generation has produced
some of the best risk-takers
and problem solvers and
inventors, ever.

The past 50 years have
been an explosion of
innovation and new
ideas.

We had freedom, failure,
success and responsibility,
and we learned how to deal
with it all.

Just something to think about!

quote:
Originally posted by Guest:
I agree about the kids being to spoiled today....below is a rather lengthy but true statement that was written by Paul Harvey....

A great commentary thanks for posting it.

It was not written by Paul Harvey though, it was actually written by Lee Pitts.

Snopes.com the place to check out Urban Legends

-----------------
RR
<d03boy>
Referring to the topic (closings again)

Seward is out on an inservice tomorrow so that means they can't cancel school, and we can practice! Hoorah for the exploit in the system!
Rookie
Picture of Cschumacher
Randolph closed today after an early out yesterday. Would not let me have an hour practice. Some kids decided to go to Norfolk to workout at the Y (my sons included). All made it home a little slower than they thought. At least they are letting me run a practice this afternoon. Hope most are not too far over!
<cheeto04>
ya know you talk about how we kids are spoiled these days and that, well not all of us are spoiled, some of us still live lives like people used to. did ya ever think that maybe the country roads are bad, i dont know about all the rest but the country road i live on cant even be seen because of the drifts, so what do you expect me to do, ski to school? haha, i still wish we woulda had school though, hopefully we still have an open gym tonight so we can get a little practice in