Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Best Wrestler Never To Win A State Title
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Best Wrestler Never To Win A State Title Login/Join

State Qualifier
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Gil Ortiz BW early 90's stud.
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
Brady Ray, Tekamah Herman (early/mid 90's). I believe he entered the state tournament undefeated twice, and both times lost in the first round and came back and got third.

quote:
Originally posted by TK:
Craig Trampe was a 2 time champ boys, but the guy that was 4x runner up looks exactly like him.

derr, i knew that! lol. they just got craig's name stuck in my head, lol.

Yeah, his freshman and sophmore years were losses to Todd Meneely of Skutt(24-9 and 12-4), jr. year was against Evan Schmidt of Lincoln Christian(4-3), and senior year was against Ryan Tillema of Neligh-Oakdale(4-3)

"It's in the bag coach, it's in the bag."
Varsity Letterman
Picture of LCmatgurl
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
how about Chris Trampe?

One Team, Can't Be Beat, Won't Be Beat. 2/21/09
Rookie
Picture of ShaneKrim
AIM: Online Status For Kriminal2007
Tony Valdez is easily the best wrestler never to win, he was always up there with matt vacanti and matts said to be one of the best to come out of nebraska
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
No one can be said to be certainly the best ever to not win a state title because there are so many that deserve that title. However, it is an interesting topic and good to hear about some of these guys especially to old timers.

Being a little bias, I would like to throw Craig Pokorny's name in the mix. Considering Craig's freshman season he beat a 4-time state champion twice, 3-time state champion twice, 4-time finalist with 2 state titles, and a 2-time state champion. He also beat a few wrestlers that were All-Americans in Fargo including two national runner-ups. He also split (about 50/50) over the years with Tony Valdez and won the last meeting, a guy who some are proclaiming to win this title hands down. Tony certainly deserves consideration also. Unfortunately Craig was never 100% after his freshman season suffering what was considered a career ending injury, but he never gave up. Craig will just have to win his state title as a coach (he is the assistant coach now at Bennington).
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Hey Badger...no truth to the rumor that he's plotting to overthrow the current coaching regime there, is he??? Bwahaha

Craig was an outstanding wrestler and can definitely be mentioned in this thread -- he also happens to be an outstanding young man as well. Not sure where he got that from, but whoever did the parenting there should get two big thumbs up. Big Grin

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray

quote:
Originally posted by Badger:
No one can be said to be certainly the best ever to not win a state title because there are so many that deserve that title. However, it is an interesting topic and good to hear about some of these guys especially to old timers.

Being a little bias, I would like to throw Craig Pokorny's name in the mix. Considering Craig's freshman season he beat a 4-time state champion twice, 3-time state champion twice, 4-time finalist with 2 state titles, and a 2-time state champion. He also beat a few wrestlers that were All-Americans in Fargo including two national runner-ups. He also split (about 50/50) over the years with Tony Valdez and won the last meeting, a guy who some are proclaiming to win this title hands down. Tony certainly deserves consideration also. Unfortunately Craig was never 100% after his freshman season suffering what was considered a career ending injury, but he never gave up. Craig will just have to win his state title as a coach (he is the assistant coach now at Bennington).

i hear ya....thats why he was one of my picks.

"It's in the bag coach, it's in the bag."
Junior High
Fortunately for Craig P., he's better looking than his father.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Boy, THAT'S no lie...LOL.

We kid because we care, coach... Bwahaha

Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
In his dreams. If he learned how to use a razor he may have a chance.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
ROFL...I sense a tense family meeting at the Pokorny household in the not-so-distant future.

Hey, Al...when Craig's ready, let me know -- I've got a couple of extra Mach3 cartridges available to get him started.

Might want to ease him into it, though...maybe have him rub some milk on his cheeks and let the catch lick the "whiskers" off. rotfl

State Qualifier
Since no one ever said this thread was only for Nebraska high school wrestlers I will bring up a mystery wrestler who does have ties to Nebraska. I will call him a mystery wrestler because he will be my trivia question for 2006-2007. In the 1960's, when freshmen were ineligble so 3X was the limit, Mike Caruso, from Lehigh beat the same wrestler in the finals of the nationals all three years. I know that is a fact. The second part of this story was told to me by a fan of the school that our mystery wrestler attended so I don't know if it is true or not. But the mystery fan from the mystery school that the mystery wrestler attended told me that he was a 4 X runner up in his high school state tournaments also. Who is the mystery wrestler and what is his connection to Nebraska? The first person to post the correct answer on this thread will be allowed to wrestle at less than 7% body fat.
Novice
Too easy. Bob Fehrs, former NU coach. I believe he wrestled for Michigan? I also think he died in a plane crash a few years ago.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
Joe Hug Bellevue East .

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger

Rookie
Jack Smith out of Sargent. Got beat by Rusty Taper of Medicine Valley his Junior year by tech. fall and pinned his senior year with a spladle. Definately a tough wrestler.

Earl Mortenson out of Medicine Valley. Two time runner-up by heart break both years. He is definately one of three guys I can oficially say helped me to be the wrestler I am today.

I ain't saying that I was that good in high school, but it is hard to look back on those years, sitting in first place usaeur, and tell people I never won a state title.

Jeff Myers
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by guest22:
Too easy. Bob Fehrs, former NU coach. I believe he wrestled for Michigan? I also think he died in a plane crash a few years ago.

Not too easy Guest 22, you are just too good. It was Bob Fehrs and he did wrestle for Michigan. Now, double or nothing for the right to wrestle at 4% body fat. The mystery fan from the mystery school that told me about this--What color socks was he wearing when he told me?
Rookie
Mark Rigatuso Two time state runner up,Two time National champ UNO

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Ryan:
The mystery fan from the mystery school that told me about this--What color socks was he wearing when he told me?

You gotta come up with tougher ones than that...

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Hey...I was wondering where I lost those.

Did you find those at Huskerland, Mike???