Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Husker wrestle offs

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Husker wrestle offs Login/Join

State Qualifier
posted   Report This Post  
What do you guys think? Who looked good? Who didn't?

I thought Mike Rowe tearing up Aleksanyan at 133 was a surprise. Vacanti looked good at 125, which made his getting beat by 6-1 by Donahoe,very impressive.Casey Gubbels looked very solid.I'm sure he'll redshirt, but he should figure in their plans eventually.Chris Oliver dominated two lesser opponants.It would suck to wrestle Moyer....when he puts the legs in! What was Andy Johnson's injury? I hope it isnt serious.It was a little surprise that Levi Wofford was down to 184, though I hope he can push Jones.Craig Brester is a beast.I heard Jakob Kleine rave about how strong he is...'as an ox'.It was cool to watch Sigman show his elbow pass series at the clinic. I hope he can infuse some offense into May!
Novice
Picture of ArmBar
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Could be Mike Rowe's year?
State Champion
Picture of deano
Could someone post results for this as well I can't find it anywhere

thanks

deano
Novice
Picture of cubbie
DEANO GO TO HUSKERS.COM
Rookie
I also saw that Schaeffer Inj def. too, what is with him?
Junior High
Picture of PitBullJim
quote:
DEANO GO TO HUSKERS.COM

I went there... where are the results? All I found is the article talking about the wrestle-offs coming up...
Rookie
Rowe looked good, but I don't think Aleksanyan wrestled his best match. I think Rowe caught him on his back twice which accounted for the majority of his points. If they wrestled again, I think it would be closer. Looks like Rowe will start, but Patrick should see some time at varsity also.

Vacanti was game, but like the rest of the true freshman, got dominated by NU's varsity wrestler. If Donohoe stays focused, he shouldn't have a problem making AA this year.

Biggest surprise: Gubbels over Burroughs 15-8. I'm not that familiar with Gubbels, but I had seen Burroughs wrestle on the national level - he's tough. Impressive performance from Gubbels.

Starting lineup:
125 Donohoe
133 Rowe/Aleksanyan
141 Moyer
149 Sanders
157 Oliver
165 Harwood
174 Browne
184 Jones
197 Brester
Hwt May

Sanders, Harwood, Jones, and May did not wrestle. The remaining starters looked impressive and much improved over last year.

Nice to see three Nebraska wrestlers in the starting lineup. Nine of NU's ten starters are ranked in the top 20 coming into the season (all but 197). I see 4+ potential AA's in this lineup. Look for big things out of this team. They are very young and very talented. They will turn some heads this year and in two years - watch out!
Novice
Picture of cubbie
HUSKERS.COM WRESTLING ROSTER &BIOS THEN ON THE LEFT SIDE GO TO SCHEDULE/RESULTS CLICK ON RESULTS
State Champion
Picture of deano
thanks

deano
State Qualifier
Four Huskers Earn 2-0 Records at Wrestle-Offs
Courtesy: NU Media Relations
Release: 11/03/2006

The 2006-07 Nebraska wrestling team made its public debut with its annual wrestle-offs, held at the Bob Devaney Sports Center on Friday. The wrestle-offs saw four Husker wrestlers go 2-0, including senior Dominick Moyer, redshirt freshmen Mike Rowe and Craig Brester and freshman Curtis Salazar.

“Our guys wrestled hard,” head coach Mark Manning said. “I thought their conditioning was good and that they wrestled the whole seven minutes. We have a lot of things that we can work on going into our first competition, but that’s always the case. I thought our young guys showed a lot of character.”

Among the young standouts was Brester. A candidate to start at 197 pounds for the Huskers this season, Brester won both his matches, including a first-period pin of Cameron Browne and an injury default victory.

At 133 pounds, Rowe won both of his matches, including a 12-0 major decision win over Patrick Aleksanyan. In his first match, Rowe won by technical fall over Peter Roto, 18-2.

Salazar, a Valley, Colo., native, made his debut at Nebraska with a pair of victories, including a first period win by fall over Peter Barger and an 8-4 triumph over Derek Moyer.

Senior Dominick Moyer cruised to a 2-0 night by defeating Cash Coolidge, 7-2, and Jordan Burroughs, 5-0. Moyer, a third-year starter at 141 pounds from Oskaloosa, Iowa, enters the season as the 16th-ranked 141-pounder, according to Intermat.

In addition to the success of the other wrestlers, 16 true freshmen wrestled their first matches in public in their college careers.

“It’s a good experience to let them get out in front of people in this setting,” Manning said.

The 18th-ranked Huskers will open the regular season on Saturday, Nov. 11 in Laramie, Wyo., at the Cowboy Open. Nebraska returns seven NCAA qualifiers and eight starters from last year’s team, which finished 16th at the NCAA Championships.

Wrestle-Offs Results

174-Bobby Laraway by dec. over Casey Roberts, 4-2

197-Nick Schaefer by dec. over Cameron Browne, 10-6

133-Patrick Aleksanyan by fall over Austin Baier, 2:56

133-Mike Rowe by tech. fall over Peter Roto, 18-2

141-Dominick Moyer by dec. over Cash Coolidge, 7-2

149-Casey Gubbels by dec. over Jordan Burroughs, 15-8

149-Derek Moyer by fall over Brady LaMar, 2:41

165-Chris Oliver by fall over Frank Jonas, 3:38

165-Cody Foust by inj. def. over Andy Johnson

125-Paul Donahoe by dec. over Matt Vacanti, 7-1

174-Brandon Browne by major dec. over Casey Roberts, 18-6

197-Craig Brester by fall over Cameron Browne, :53

133-Mike Rowe by major dec. over Patrick Aleksanyan, 12-0

133-Austin Baier by dec. over Malcolm McGruder, 7-5

141-Dominick Moyer by dec. over Jordan Burroughs, 5-0

141-Cash Coolidge by dec. over Jeff Slaughter, 5-1

149-Brady LaMar by dec. over Peter Barger, 2-0

165-Alex Ward by dec. over Frank Jonas, 3-2

174-Brandon Browne by major dec. over Bobby Laraway, 12-3

197-Craig Brester by inj. def. over Nick Schaefer

197-Levi Wofford by tech. fall over Cameron Browne, 27-10
Junior High
Picture of PitBullJim
What happened to Andrew Weins?
Rookie
Don't cound Levi Wofford out of the mix for 184, Wofford and Jones did not wrestle off on Friday night due to an injury to Jones.

God's gift to you is the ability he gave you, your gift to god is what you do with it. Wrestle Hard!