Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Seeding rule
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Seeding rule Login/Join

Rookie
Picture of Bieber2030
posted   Report This Post  
Please no speculation on this one, just solid answers:
3 wrestlers A,B,C
Wrestler A record: 25-1
wrestler B record: 20-10
wrestler C record: 17-13
wrestler D Record: 15-15

If wrestler's A only loss is to wrestler D, which seeding is correct:
1. D
2. A
3. B
4. C

OR
1. B
2. C
3. D
4. A
Rookie
Picture of Bieber2030
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
sorry, I meant 4 wrestlers: A,B,C,D
Rookie
Picture of Big Pounder
Heck of a lot more too the equation, any state qualifiers, state medalists....or just simply a bunch of guys with decent records and one guys that pulled a head to head?

Walk the Line.
Rookie
Agreed...and before you even get to point criteria you need to know if there are any other head-to-head or common opponents between these wrestlers. If so, you may not even need the point system.

Completely agree with the above 2 posts. Need more information to decide the outcome.

For future discussion as it will probably come up after the other issues are settled..

Winning %

A 96.16
B 66.67
C 56.67
D 50.0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red Rocker,

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Rookie
Good question. I will see this same problem tonight in my seeding meeting. Assuming there were no h2h, common opp, SQ, or SM...

I know if I coach wrestler A, I would argue the first option, because he has percentage on B and C. If I was coaching B or C, I would argue the second option, because they have percentage over D, while D is over A by h2h.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Troxel,
Rookie
Picture of Bieber2030
This is my point. Assume EVERYTHING is equal. No common, no head to head... just look at records at the bottom wrestler beat the top. Does wrestler D jump everyone or does wrestler A fall to everyone
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
I remember talking about this at a seeding meeting 15 years ago in St. Paul, and then when we hosted districts in Deshler the next two years, I tried to set a precedent at the start of the seeding meeting saying that A would drop below D. How can you penalize B and C when they are not involved. "A" clearly had a bad loss and should be penalized, or he has had a very weak schedule and has an inflated record. Needless to say, it should have worked very well, but of course it didn't for a weight class or two..............

Rick Henry

Junior High
Picture of Vader
Perhaps, it is D who has wrestled the tougher schedule accounting for his amassed losses. Why should A be penalized for losing to a 'good' kid when he has the better record than B and C assuming of course no commons between them?

Boy, this is fun. Smile
Novice
Picture of phatjo23
Here are my thoughts. If you can not possibly shake out 1 wrestler using head to head and common opponent, you go to the point system. In this situation, D does have head to head over A but does not have anything over b and c and b and c have nothing over A. So in my mind, there isn't a single wrestler that could shake out with the head to head or common opponent. True, D does have head to head over A, but it can not be justified that he should be over b and c and it can not be justified that b and c are above A in this situation.

Then you go to points and shake it out. Let's say you get to points and C had the most points because he was a state medalist or something, then he is #1. Then go back to head to head and nothing still shakes out. Then go to points again and let's say C had the next most points because he was a state qaulifier or something. Then go back to head to head and D would be above A.

My opinion.
Novice
Picture of phatjo23
I think you have to be able to shake 1 person out for a seed, and if that can't be done, you go to the points. In this case the only thing you have is that 1 wrestler beat the other, but the 2 in between them have nothing over A at all. This in turns means that there isn't a wrestler that is a clear 1 yet, so you go to points.
Rookie
Picture of Bieber2030
I guess what it boils down to is this: should wrestler D be able to jump B and C (and of course A) because of a good win
OR
does wrestler A fall because of a bad loss.

Seems like a tough one
Novice
Picture of phatjo23
I don't think you can jump b or c above A because they dont' have any head to head or common above A. Because of this, a wrestler can not be shook out and you go to points. If A has the most points, then that's the way it works. That would make A and D meet in the semi's and if d is better than A it won't matter!

LOL

Agree with phatjo completely. You cannot penalize b and c because of a's loss to d. D has nothing over the other two.

quote:
Originally posted by Newman:
This is my point. Assume EVERYTHING is equal. No common, no head to head... just look at records at the bottom wrestler beat the top. Does wrestler D jump everyone or does wrestler A fall to everyone

Are there any state qualifiers or medalists? This will go to the point system to shake out the first seed and eventually all 4 seeds so state qualifier and medalist have to be taken into consideration.

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
quote:
Originally posted by Vader:
Perhaps, it is D who has wrestled the tougher schedule accounting for his amassed losses. Why should A be penalized for losing to a 'good' kid when he has the better record than B and C assuming of course no commons between them?

Boy, this is fun. Smile

Why is 'D' wrestling such a hard schedule? He should be penalized! Wink

Thanks for the devil's advocacy.......... Darth Vader!

Rick Henry

Rookie
Picture of Bieber2030
The problem that I see is that, like last night at the meeting, if you throw in common opp., head to head, etc., you may not be able to come up with a solution. Sometimes the more you throw in, the more complicated you get.
Novice
Picture of phatjo23
you are right! And if you can't sort it out through head to head and common opponent you go to the points. That is why I am trying to change my schedule some to meet as many different teams as possible!
Rookie
So i am on the edge of my seat! what was the outcome?
Junior High
Picture of Vader
Thanks, Chief! I knew you would appreciate. Smile
Rookie
Picture of Bieber2030
Alright, let's take it to the next level:
What if wrestler 1 losses to wrestler 8, but 8 has lost to 5,6,and 7. Wrestler 2 beat wrestler 3 and has never seen wrestler 1. Wrestler 5,6, and 7 are in a round robin.

Here you go parents, this is why coaches sometimes yell.....to get our frustration out!!!