Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Injury time?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Injury time? Login/Join

Novice
Picture of phatjo23
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I love the word "bottom line". I had an official use that towards me once, and ten minutes later "sorry coach, you were right".

That was the best day of my life.
Rookie
Agree Lincwre, and Baha, since you are a ref, cant you clearly see when a wrestler is "just out of breath" looking for a break versus really and truly having an issue breathing? Come on, as I and Lincwre state, it is poor sportsmanship and that is the bottom line. How do you call that??
Novice
quote:
Originally posted by 4 The Love Of Wrestling:
Agree Lincwre, and Baha, since you are a ref, cant you clearly see when a wrestler is "just out of breath" looking for a break versus really and truly having an issue breathing? Come on, as I and Lincwre state, it is poor sportsmanship and that is the bottom line. How do you call that??

As an official it is not my judgement call to make if the guy is actually injured. If he says he is injured it is my responsability to stop the action. That is why there are additions to the rule that state if back points are imminent the offensive wrestler gets a point.

Using injury time as a timeout is something you see in college even more than HS in my experience atleast. I don't agree with using injury time as a timeout but it is not the officials judgement call to make.
Rookie
Bottom line is if one person gets increased oxygen intake, so does the other. If one person is sucking wind harder than the other, the better conditioned wrestler will recover quicker as well. I didn't mean to get in a pissin match, I was just making a point to the people saying that its an advantage to the person who is not in shape.

It would be like taking a sprinter and a person walking down the hallway who doesn't run track. Then having them run a 400 meter dash, then having the non-runner call a timeout halfway through the run, both stop running, rest for one minute, then finish the race. Who would have the advantage?

Again, I know wrestling is different, but bottom line is I will take the better conditioned wrestler even after the break.
Rookie
LOL, If you see somone smacking the dickens out of the wrestler that needs to "take a break" because he is out of breath rather than injured, its just me.....I will make the call for you. Wink If I can't make it down to the mat, I will be the one hollering from the stands, "Dont let him take a break just to catch his breath"......I know far too well who these wrestlers are, all too often, it is my son who is on the mat waiting for the other one to "get his breath back".....
Rookie
Baha is right no official should ever not allow injury time if it is asked for. It is not the officials job to make a judgement call like that nor should it be. There is a reason the after the second injury time the other wrestler gets a choice and after the third one it is over.
Rookie
Baha03 My comment (stalling requires little judgement) was made with tongue in cheek to stimulate some dialog and attention to this issue. I had no intent to offend. Thanks for your comments. Perhaps, I bit my tongue & need injury time, heck no, my opponent is gassed, I'll just shut my mouth, breath through my nose, swallow the blood and keep wrestling.
Rookie
Picture of FCfan
[QUOTE]Originally posted by baha03:

"(stalling requires little judgement)" Really I have been a high school official for 6 years and I find that stalling is most definetly a judgement call every time. Everytime stalling is called the official is making a judgement on what the wrestlers are doing. In fact it is so much of a judgement call that little rules have been thrown out there so much that they are taken as fact. I have a couple examples of things anyone who is around wrestling hears/says.

1st. The top guy has to come off the hips. There is no where in the rule book that says the top guy has to come off the hips. The rule states the top wrestler has to work for a fall. As many of you know there are quite a few ways to work for a fall while not coming off the hips.

2nd. He has to bring the wrestler down to the mat in a situation where the wrestlers are on their feet with one guy in control. Or maybe even thats 5 seconds on their feet. The rule does not state the top wrestler has to bring the other wrestler down. It states the top wrestler has to attempt to bring the other wrestler down.

Ok so these are two examples of often mistaken things. Now if you look at these two situations tell me where judgement is not playing all the factor. In the first case it is the refs judgement of if the top wrestler is actually trying to turn the guy or is just stalling. The second situation it is the refs judgement to make if the top wrestler is actually attempting to bring the wrestler down. QUOTE]

WOW!! Exactly how my son got a point called against him Saturday..... in the 3rd period.....when he was DOWN by 5 points.
Rookie
Officals do not need t be "empowered" by the Coaches to make the call. If they see stalling, they should call it, period.
Rookie
Fellow Wrestling Enthusiasts, injury time/blood time is one of those intrinsics of the sport that keeps wrestling forever in the shadows of the faster paced spectator sports like basketball. I realize the importance of spending five minutes stopping a bloody nose and sanitizing the mat.
The closest I ever came to getting "eighty sixed" from a sporting event was at a wrestling meet in Callaway my son's Freshman year (he is now a Senior). My son was wrestling a local boy and had the kid on his back late in the first period. A pin seemed imminent and I was already sharing a "high five" with the dude next to me. About which time the kid on his back began to feign that he could not breathe. The ref stopped the action and called for an injury time out. Midway through the third period with the match still in doubt, my son put the kid on his back again. The match appeared to be finally over when the kid feigned once again that he could not breathe (I think my son had him in a "double chicken wing"). The ref stopped the action once again and about this time I hollered "what's up with this guy". This was all at the same time the gym had gone completely silent. I was a full time auctioneer for fifteen years and my voice has been known to carry. The ref stopped, looked straight up to me and said "that is enough of that". I obeyed and my son prevailed with a close decision. Of course this kid (the feigner) is the stuff that team captains are made of and I see this practice still employed today.
Rookie
Cubbie, I agree with you that a conditioned wrestler recovers faster and more efficiently than a lesser conditioned person.
This however does not prove anything.....often times there are good wrestlers who are lazy wrestlers. They dont work hard in the room. Maybe they are so good that they dont have to or maybe they are just big move guys who build a lead and can coast on it.
Technique wins wrestling matches most every time. What I'm saying is that the better wrestlers usualy wins BUT sometimes they can be pushed to their limits and when they are broke and down but not quite out, they opt for the injury time out.
EVEN when they are the lesser conditioned opponent, we are only talking about a minute left in a match. A 1 minute injury timeout or even a :45 second timeout is all you need to get that little bit of wind back to stay in good position and win. Now you can put your science to test all you want but call it physical, mental, supernatural....whatever, it happens and its enough to be a huge turning point. Had that injury time not happened, he would have never got a break, MAYBE lost complete control to stay in position and lost the match.