Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Courtney Martell new NE USA Women's Director

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Courtney Martell new NE USA Women's Director Login/Join

NCAA Champion
posted   Report This Post  
Just would like to announce Courtney Martell, Midland University assistant Women's coach, as the new Women's director of Nebraska USA Wrestling. She's from Vermont and wrestled at Missouri Valley University in college. She was an assistant coach there for one year.

Nebraska USA wrestling is taking big steps in promoting women's wrestling in Nebraska. Courtney is going to be a big part of that process.

We will be starting with a women's division (freestyle only) at our State tournament in March at Grand Island. Girls that are in 12 grade and under may still compete in the State folk style portion as well but there will be a women's freestyle open for all grades with divisions as follows: K-2, 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12.

Women's wrestling is one of the fastest growing sports in the Country.

You can go to www.nebraskausawrestling.org for her contact info. (it will be up shortly)
Novice
Picture of lorilwayne
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Congrats Courtney and good luck. Do you know when she was at Mo Val college- and assistant coach? Our daughter went to a wrestling camp there a couple summers- 3 and 4 summers ago.
NCAA Champion
Not sure but I think she graduated in like 2008 or 2009....then she coached for a 1 year.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
Midlands addition of the womans program is a great boost for wrestling in NE. Hopefully it will boost the number of female participants in NE. It would be nice someday to see the NSAA sponsor a girls state tournament like they do in Texas.

# Name Cl. Pos. Ht. Wt. Hometown Previous School
Jasmine Alvarado FR Ft. Worth, TX Keiler Central High School
Rebecca Buchanan FR Kansas City, MO Platte County R3
Raven Davila FR Ft. Worth, TX Saginaw High School
Melody Dominguez FR Austin, TX Akins High School
Sangie Gonzalez FR Amarillo, TX Amarillo High School
Sonja Grant FR Goldendale, WA Goldendale High School
Tyesha Thomas FR Spring, TX Klein Collins High School
NCAA Champion
Yes I agree and they have like 6 or 7 more coming at 2nd semester.

The big recruiting class will come next year. Lots of senior girls already committing.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
I thought Concordia would have a womans program by now. Coach Reese used to be big into the womens wrestling scene and had a womens team at Minnesota-Morris when he was there. Maybe that is in the works there also.
NCAA Champion
I'm sure he's got in the back of his mind but this is only his 3rd year with a new program.....need to set the foundation with the men first.

Midland may have been new but with Dana closing they hit the ground running. Although it was a setback it wasn't like they were starting with a bunch of freshman their first year.

I sure don't know what Wayne State is waiting for....if it's a title 9 problem then just add a women's and men's at the same time....it would be tough but with the right people it could happen.