Notify
Tools
Under 7% Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
if you naturaly have under 7% body fat what needs to be done
Novice
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
You would be tested just like the rest of your teamates. When you pass your hydration test and then measure under 7% body fat you would need to go to your doctor. Your doctor would need to sign a note saying it is safe for you to compete at a body fat % below 7 %.
Rookie
gracias
Novice
That is not the information that I got when I talked to Boysen. If you are under 7% and pass the hydration test you just can't go any lower. The only time you need to go to a doctor and get a signed note is when you are below 7% and want to go to a lower weight than you are at on testing day. For example: You weigh 121 and are at 7% body fat. If you would want to go to 119, then you have to get a doctor to agree to that.
Novice
I didn't realize that you could go lower with a note, the way it read I thought you if you were at or under 7% then that was your weight. Did he say if there was a maximum that the doctor could sign off on?
Novice
I didn't ask if there was a maximum. Since the rule is 7%, I doubt if you are going to find any doctor that would sign a note that says a kid can go to a lower weight class. If something goes wrong it is their butt. I don't think they would stick their neck out.
Rookie
If you are under 7% you can't go any lower. It is illegal to go under the weight you are at if you are under 7%.
Rookie
so if i wanna wrestle at 103 and i weight about 106-107 at heaviest then when i go for my test should i just be at 103.0
Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
103 Hydrated

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger

Rookie
what is considered hydrayed
Junior High
You get to whiz in a cup. They'll measure your urine for specific gravity, which should be no more than 1.025 (distilled water is 1.0). Anything higher than that will probably appear to be concentrated with minerals from the body. A sign of dehydration.

If you're at 106 and 6% with an s.g. of 1.025, you more than likely won't be allowed to cut to 103, unless you have a good lawyer, or a bad doctor.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
Straight from the NSAA Wrestling Weight Management Program and Guidelines:

C. The lowest weight class a wrestler may compete at will be determined as follows:
1. If the minimum weight, at 7% or 12% body fat, is exactly that of one of the adopted
weight classes, that weight shall be the wrestler’s minimum weight class.
2. If the minimum weight, at 7% or 12% body fat, is one-half pound or less from one of
the adopted weight classes, that weight class shall be the wrestler’s minimum weight
class.
3. If the minimum weight, at 7% or 12% body fat, is greater than one half pound from one
of the adopted weight classes, the next higher weight class shall be the wrestler’s
minimum weight class. Only a physician may approve a wrestler to compete at the next
lower weight class in this situation.
4. If the wrestler’s body test result is lower than 7% or 12 %, the next higher weight class
shall be the wrestler’s minimum weight class. Only a physician may clear a wrestler to
compete at the next lower weight class in this situation. Within this clearance the
physician must indicate the date at which it is safe for the wrestler to begin competing at
the minimum weight class.
A physician’s clearance is good for one season’s duration
and expires at the conclusion of the NSAA State Wrestling Tournament of each year.
5. No out-of-state transfer Alpha Master Form will be accepted by the NSAA.

To my understanding you can drop one weight class even if you test below 7% body fat with a doctors note.
Junior High
May as well put this in as well, since the hydration test must be done before the BF assessment:

HYDRATION TESTING:
A. It is essential for coaches to stress to wrestlers the importance of hydrating prior to the scheduled
assessment date. Those athletes failing the hydration component of the assessment must wait at
least 48 hours in order to be retested. This will add additional time, expense, and frustration if not
emphasized.
B. Specific gravity assessment of the urine will determine whether a candidate may participate in the
body fat assessment. If the wrestler has a specific gravity above the predetermined level, he/she
may NOT be assessed for body composition. This is simply a pass/fail assessment based on a
specific gravity 1.025 g/ml or less. The school will provide individuals to conduct the specimen
collection and assist with the testing.
**Schools should make sure that each wrestler is tested individually to prevent urine
exchange (this is an area where the right to privacy must be respected).
C. If the wrestler passes the specific gravity test, he/she may continue to the body fat test.
D. If the wrestler fails the specific gravity test, he/she cannot be assessed for 48 hours and must meet
the hydration requirement before the body fat test takes place.
E. Hydration Testing will be done using one of two methods:
1. Refractometer; or
2. Specific gravity urine test strips (HydraTrend Test Strips for specific gravity and pH in
urine)
F. The athlete will use a cup to collect a urine sample for testing. NSAA Approved Assessors will
then conduct the Hydration Test.
G. The NSAA will establish the hydration testing protocol for the NSAA Approved Assessors.
H. The hydration test is NOT a drug test!
I. It is possible that an athlete cannot reach the proper hydration level due to medical reasons.
Verification by a Physician would be necessary.
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
Like I said, unfortunately right now I have wrestlers cutting weight without my direct supervision. I don't condone it, but I'm a realist, and I hope that their parents are keeping tabs on them. If the NSAA really thinks that kids won't try to get down to their minimum weight, they're absolutely dreaming. How naive can you get?
Junior High
Hawk, the NSAA is not going to be the only organization with this issue. Since this is downward directed from the NFHS, each state is required to develop a program based on the parameters provided (7 or 12%, 1.025 s.g).

This will all ultimately become an integrity issue with the assessors and physicians involved, the coaches, the wrestlers, and their parents. How they choose to play the game, so to speak, is up to them... The numbers won't lie, it's how they get interpreted that comes into play. IF the numbers get interpreted consistently across the state, there should be no problem.

Human nature now is to question the rules, and the application of those rules.