Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Favorite Places
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Places Login/Join

Novice
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Okay, Huskermat fans, it's going to be a long, hot summer and we have time for this. What is your favorite place in this world? If you could just sit, knock around, and enjoy life, where whould you like to be?

Here's mine. The edge of the Nebraska sandhills, fourteen miles east of Burwell, fourteen miles north of Ord, and fourteen miles west of Ericson. Approximately, of course, but it's the center of my universe. A run down farm at the end of the road, but it's home.

And the best time of the year is the fall, with a harvest moon just rising over the eastern horizon and the sun having just set in the west. A twilight time with a slight chill in the air where I could spend, or waste, my entire life. That, my friends, is my favorite place in this world. Where is yours?

I double dog dare you to let us know. And if you're ever in the Burwell/Ord/Ericson area in late September to early October, stop by and smile back at the moon with me. Have a great summer.
The Moose.

posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Paintrock Canyon in the Bighorn Moutains of Wyoming when the elk are bugling or the trout are biting.

I'll try to find a picture that won't even come close to doing it justice but it will give you and idea...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red Rocker,

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER

Thanks moosehead...

Found the pictures I was looking for right away but had to spend an additional 20+ minutes looking throught the rest of the hunting pics and having a good chuckle!!!

This is as you come out of the timber after about a 3 mile hike. The first mile is pretty much all downhill but the last 2 are uphill and/or sidehill, downhill and upsidedown hill...

Then after about another 1/2 mile hike you get to see the full glory of Paintrock Canyon. It's an amazing site, and believe me, this doesn't do it 1/10th of the justice. I'll have to dig a little deeper but somewhere there are pictures of fly fishing the river at the bottom of this canyon and boy was it ever fun...

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
Mine would have to be the Platte River in Central Nebraska.
Cool fall mornings to dead of winter. Sitting in the blind with the kid, dog and good friends. Sun coming up over the trees and the whistle of wings in the air. And hearing the words TAKE EM!

hawk

Novice
Hawk, where in Central Nebraska? I used to hunt ducks west of Clarks on the Platte River, and I have to admit it was a thrill to be in the blind at sunrise and see the ducks coming down the river. I would say that places change as we age. Baseball fields in my teens, duck blinds in my 20-30's, The thrill of the State Wrestling Tournament in my 40's, and now in my 50's and 60's, anywhere my grandkids and kids are, is where I want to be. Listen to the words of "Cats in the Cradle" as you age, and the realization that your kids are out of the house and living their own life is kind of sad!

RR and Moose, I would have to say that either place would be pretty nice and relaxing to spend your happy times!
Junior Varsity
Picture of rmh
My favorite place, would be sitting on my front porch on a warm summer evening with my granddaughter in my lap.
Junior Varsity
Picture of 4Huskers
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by moosehead:
Okay, Huskermat fans, it's going to be a long, hot summer and we have time for this. What is your favorite place in this world? If you could just sit, knock around, and enjoy life, where whould you like to be?

Here's mine. The edge of the Nebraska sandhills, fourteen miles east of Burwell, fourteen miles north of Ord, and fourteen miles west of Ericson. Approximately, of course, but it's the center of my universe. A run down farm at the end of the road, but it's home.

And the best time of the year is the fall, with a harvest moon just rising over the eastern horizon and the sun having just set in the west. A twilight time with a slight chill in the air where I could spend, or waste, my entire life. That, my friends, is my favorite place in this world. Where is yours?

I double dog dare you to let us know. And if you're ever in the Burwell/Ord/Ericson area in late September to early October, stop by and smile back at the moon with me. Have a great summer.
The Moose.

When my son coached 8 man football at Wheeler Central I can remember eating a big slab of prime rib at the Hungry Horse Salon in Ericksen and heading west to Burwell. I must have driven right past that "Little Bit of Heaven" and didn't even know it.

It sounds a little like that great place 7 miles south and a half mile west of Corning, IA. It has probably changed now but I'll bet that 40 years ago your place was like ours, not a lock on the house. 10 kids on a 100 acre farm. As I look back now I don't know how my parents did it. I had been out of college a couple of years before I figured out that we were poor.
Rookie
my favorite place seems to be wherever my son is wrestling that weekend. calamus is real nice too and not far from burwell.
Junior High
On a boat going across Kachemak Bay to fish "just for the halibut."
Novice
Great posts and great places. I especially like 4Huskers spot during the NFL football season.
Rocker, I've only been through the Bighorns once, but they were memorable. Wyoming is a vast and wonderful place. From the Tetons to Vedavoo, from Devil's Tower to the Wind River Range, it never disappoints. You just have to remember to bring your own roasting ears for supper because of the short growing season. It seems sweet corn is not as hearty as bristlecone pines and sagebrush.

rmh - there is no better place to build memories that last long after we are gone. It's time well spent and that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 4Huskers has been waiting and waiting and waiting for this thread

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
This is adjacent to heaven I'd say Cool

Novice
Only if you rode your Road King Classic to the golf course Smile
Junior High
Picture of PitBullJim
quote:
This is adjacent to heaven I'd say

Nope... 'cause there is a dude in the picture wearing yellow - plaid yellow shorts to boot!

Must be a Democrat...

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
he he, yellow and blue to be exact; UNK road trip standard issue I guess Smile