Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Legion Baseball
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legion Baseball Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of HB
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Let's hear some predictions for state winners. I'll go with Bennington in C, Roncalli in B and Westside in A. Papillion-LaVista as runner-up in A and wins the all class playoff. Westside plays the regional here in Omaha and advances to the Legion World Series.
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
How tough is PWG this year in class C?
<Bartman>
In Class A, I agree that Westside and Papio/LV have been playing very well this summer. However, that doesn't guarantee them anything (remember Prep came on strong late in the season this spring.) In Class B, Roncalli is very tough, they have a lineup full of big hitters. Oakview Construction (Skutt) has pretty good piching depth, and should make a strong run also. I haven't seen any Class C teams this summer to form an opinion.

World Champion
Picture of HB
I agree-Omaha legion is TOUGH. Edwards Jones could be a surprise although they've already qualified for the regional because they're hosting. Grand Island could win a few along with Millard North and Burke. Did you see the team from Boulder CO that beat both MN and Westside in the CWS tourney? They are an all star team and are 57-2 on the year so far. I would like to see them play against Westside when Schwab is on the mound.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I haven't seen Roncalli this summer, but I have seen Skutt, and quite frankly I'm thinking that the only team that can beat Skutt IS Skutt. Beatrice looks pretty tough as well from what I've seen of them this summer.

Gretna, on the other hand, is a year away. Got a lot of Legion babies who were on the 2003 Juniors state championship team, and they only lose 3 seniors this year. They start HS baseball next year and with the talent currently in place, they should be pretty tough in the summer of 2005.

Skutt looks like they'll be good for a couple of years. Their Junior team looks awfully tough.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray

World Champion
Picture of HB
Roncalli beat Wayne 33-3 in the district title game last night. No that's not a misprint-they scored 17 runs in one inning. I believe Roncalli gave Papillion one of it's only losses on the year and did very well in the 48 team Minnesota tournament last week.
<Red Dawg>
I'll say Deeb Mustangs!!!
Rookie
NWI, I agree with our assessment of Gretna. They do have a lot of young guys on their Seniors team (and their Juniors have a few 8th graders, too). Next year they will be tough. Playing in the spring will help. They have good coaches and Spurgeon is one of the best young pitchers around.

World Champion
Picture of HB
Well 2 out of 3 isn't that bad Wink
Skutt is playing like a monster right now. They just got back a kid named Klein for the state tournament and he hit about 6 HR. They can definitely beat Millard West in the playoff and advance to the regional. In the Omaha regional it will be Westside and the host will be Burke.
<Red Dawg>
WOW, HB I am impressed!!! Does this mean you know more about Baseball than Wrestling?
<kman>
I believe Oakview Construction (Skutt) has already beaten West Bay (MW) this year. When is the all-class playoff? Also is it here in Omaha, or at a western site? I still remember back in 1997 when Prep won Class A, Skutt won Class B, and another eastern Nebraska school won Class C...where were the playoff games...Chadron!!?? That was a long bus ride...
<Guest>
i believe it was joe servais that hit the 6 home runs. the field is short though from what i hear, because as a team they had only hit 3 all year b4 this weekend

World Champion
Picture of HB
The all-class playoff it out in Kearney this weekend but I'm not sure on the time schedule. The winner goes to Crowly, LA for the mid south regional starting next Thursday. I like following legion baseball because the level of play here in Nebraska is about as good as anywhere in the country. That mid south regional is TOUGH though.
Rookie
"That mid south regional is TOUGH though." ~HB

That regional is unbelievable...Maybe the toughest in the nation. You are right HB, I played Class B legion for four years, and it is amazing the amount of baseball talent this state has.
Rookie
I was at the Class B tourney in Gothenburg, and it was amazing to many that Gothenburg received the bid to host it. The distance sign down the left field line said 315 ft., but players from other teams said earlier this summer the sign said 289 ft. The distance to center was 360ft. Many home runs, Skutt's and other teams, would have been doubles or fly ball outs at other fields.

The level of play at the tournament was impressive. Ogallala has an excellent team. There are several players from Skutt, Roncalli, and others who will be playing baseball in college. It is fun to watch baseball played well.

World Champion
Picture of HB
Westbay plays Oakview tonight at 7 and the winner plays Bennington tomorrow. Winner of the tourney plays the Louisiana state champion Delhomme next Thursday.
<Guest>
go skutt!
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Twdinger
Does anyone know how Stanton is doing in the tourney?

Ever hear of the coach that couldn't coach his wrestler out of a wet paper bag; I was coaching the wet paper bag.

World Champion
Picture of HB
Stanton was done a while ago at districts.

Central Plains Regional will probably look like this

Thursday Games in Omaha
Sioux Falls West, SD vs ? WI
North Dakota vs Rochester, MN
Iowa vs Grubb Ellis
Lawrence, KS vs Deeb Bulldogs

Grubb and Ellis is set up pretty good because Iowa legion stinks. They could get Sioux Falls West 2nd round, which is a tough team that split with Papillion. Papio hammered them the 2nd time they played. Rochester is the defending world series champion and appears to be very tough. Provided Grubb and Ellis gets to the third game they may have Schwab pitching.

Mid South Regional in Crowley LA
Thursday Games

League City, TX vs Arkansas
Pototoc, MS vs Blue Springs 299, MO
NE Runner-Up vs Delhomme, LA
Oklahoma vs Crowley (Host)

Blue Springs would be the pick here. They are 57-8 right now and won this regional last year. I'm guessing on the Texas rep but they seem to be a pretty good team. The Oklahoma tournament is up for grabs right now.