Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Famous Presidential Quotes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Famous Presidential Quotes Login/Join

Rookie
Picture of Munnster
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
I think he may have been a president somewhere.
Novice
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be." John Wayne (not a president, but a good man)!
Junior High
The sum of the intelligence on the earth is a constant. Yet the population keeps growing.
Not a quote, but a fact as I understand it.

not sure where I heard it first.
Novice
"Always be sincere, even if you don't mean it." Harry S. Truman
Rookie
Picture of Munnster
"Every man is proud of what he does well....his heart is in his work and he will do twice as much of it with less fatique....The man who produces a good, full crop will scarcely ever let any part of it go to waste. He will gather it in due season and store it in perfect security."
Abraham Lincoln
Novice
"In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing." Teddy Roosevelt
Novice
Since this thread has gone slightly off the beaten path, here's one that I have tried to live my life by:

"No matter where your at, that's where you are."

An arena quote by a rodeo barrelman at the Burwell Rodeo back when I was riding bulls and bareback horses. Sorry I can't remember his name, but it's kept me alive several times while driving, flying, arguing with my wife, or simply hanging out in strange places.
Novice
quote:
Originally posted by moosehead:
Since this thread has gone slightly off the beaten path, here's one that I have tried to live my life by:

"No matter where your at, that's where you are."

An arena quote by a rodeo barrelman at the Burwell Rodeo back when I was riding bulls and bareback horses. Sorry I can't remember his name, but it's kept me alive several times while driving, flying, arguing with my wife, or simply hanging out in strange places.

Moose, anyone who rode bulls and bareback broncos has my respect. Maybe you should be the head of the new Bullmoose party!

No wonder I didn't know where I was; at the time, I was really where I was!
Novice
Munster. Wrestling hadn't been invented in Burwell when I was in high school, and weighing just over 100# soaking wet & a couple of bricks in my back pockets, I chose the sport my brothers had, RODEO. My oldest brother is an accomplished pro rodeo photographer (in addition to a former saddle bronc rider & steer wrester). My next brother was the first Nebraska native to win the amateur saddle bronc riding buckle at Cheyenne. My third brother died in an auto accident before his time, but he's still my hero as the most natural bareback rider my other two brothers and countless friends ever saw. Me? I was the 1969 NE State high school bareback riding champ & didn't draw worth a darn at San Antonio that year, but it was a great trip competing in the bareback & bull riding. I competed in rodeos for 10 years and paid my way. Still wish I was young again. I'd do it all over, except twice as hard. One of my brother-in-laws was a professional rodeo clown, until he got too slow, if you know what I mean, and a darn good golden gloves boxer. We'd spar until my soft chin reared it's ugly head. Never went down, but was out on my feet several time. This might explain why I act the way I do today.

Oh, but life has been good. I'm not rich, nor famous, and no longer care if I'm ever either one. I've done everything I ever wanted to do except work on an oil rig when a gusher came in and in a deep rock mine, but no longer have the desire (or the ability) to do either. But I've ridden tough bulls, won some money, flown an airplane as pilot in command, climbed tall mountains (as a guide even), gone to the circus to see the elephant and loved a woman who loves me back. What more could a man ask for.

The only advise I have to give anyone, my sons and daughter included, is do what you want to do and give it your all. In the end, that will be good enough.
Novice
Moose, very interesting and informative. You have led an interesting life. What do you do now for a living? Sounds like you have a tough and interesting family! Sorry to hear about your brother.

I really liked your philosophy of life. Most of us could do well to live by those words. Thanks for sharing, my friend! Some day I will tell you about my life, but it isn't nearly as interesting or exciting as yours! Munster
Novice
Munster, for the past 14 years I've been a real estate appraiser specializing in the appraisal of agricultural property in central & western Nebraska. It's kind of boring stuff, but it pays the bills and it gives me the opportunity to visit with a lot of interesting people.

Almost everyone I've met has led an interesting and exciting life, usually with many twists and turns. The infinite variety of paths people have followed in life continually amazes me. Everyone has a story to tell, from the elderly farm couple near Greeley who worked at a New York hotel in the late 30's to pay off the farm, to a plumber here in Holdrege who's family immigrated from Poland one step in front of the German army, to a friend of mine who flies an airplane over forest fires during the summer. Compared to their life story, mine has been fairly ordinary.

I'm certain you have a story or two to tell about your journey through this adventure called life. So please share a little of it with us when you have time. There's not much else to talk about until next wrestling season. Same goes for anyone else out there. I'd bet that none of you got to "where your at" today by traveling in a straight line.
Novice
"Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts."
Dan Gable

Not a President, but should be! Smile
State Qualifier
Abe Lincoln supposedly told the story about being stopped in the street by a man who pulled a gun. When Abe asked what he was doing the man sais, I swore that if I ever saw man uglier than me I'd shoot him". Abe answered, "If I'm uglier than you please pull the trigger".

Funny and sad. Funny in that Abe could laugh at himself. Sad in that he could never be elected today because the media would not think he looked good enough on TV and gave honest answers instead of what they wanted to report.
State Qualifier
[QUOTE]
But I've ridden tough bulls, won some money, flown an airplane as pilot in command, climbed tall mountains (as a guide even), gone to the circus to see the elephant and loved a woman who loves me back. What more could a man ask for. QUOTE]

I've done a few things you could ask for. I've been to a windmill greasing and a goat race. But my greatest thrill was judging the Miss Cantalopes contest at the Muscatine County Fair.
Novice
"Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours."
Yogi Berra

Smile Paid for by the Yogi Berra for president committee!
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Ryan:
Abe Lincoln supposedly told the story about being stopped in the street by a man who pulled a gun. When Abe asked what he was doing the man said, I swore that if I ever saw a man uglier than me I'd shoot him". Abe answered, "If I'm uglier than you please pull the trigger".

Funny and sad. Funny in that Abe could laugh at himself. Sad in that he could never be elected today because the media would not think he looked good enough on TV and gave honest answers instead of what they wanted to report.
Novice
Why have a funeral when a wake is so much more fun?
Novice
This should go on another thread, but I'm going to put it here. What the heck, it's the off-season and times are slow.

My favorite Yogi-ism.

According to legend (as most Yogi-ism's are) the mayor's wife was throwing out the ceremonial first pitch at Yankee Stadium on a hot August afternoon. Yogi, of course was the catcher. As Yogi delivered the ball back to the city's glamourous first lady, she said, "Mr. Berra. You really look cool today." To which Yogi replied, "You don't look so hot yourself, maam."

So, if you have a favorite Yogi-ism, post it here. He may not have been president, but he probably should'a been. He'd have been better than some and no worse than most.

And please remember the first rule of "out west" story tellin', "If you can't embellish the tale, you shouldn't be tellin' it."
Novice
"I never said most of the things I said."
Yogi Berra