Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Collier should be committed?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collier should be committed? Login/Join

Junior High
Picture of green goblin
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
COuldn't help myself, saw the "Husker Coaches Committed" discussion. I'm just an incurable wiseacre I guess. Smile

After the 3 straight losses, and now 3 debacles (Creighton, Kansas, Colorado) ... I think it is time to say the Collier regime aint working; and it probably isn't ever going to work.

I think it's time for NU and Coach Collier to part ways. For whatever reason; he is not getting his players to rise above.

There is no fan attendance at the Devaney; and it's just time to look elsewhere.

Is it impossible to have a successful D1 roundball in Nebraska? I have to think the answer is no. It's having coaches who can bring in talent and coach them. Seems to me it's a far easier venture than football; need far fewer good players.

I'm baffled as to how Collier got his players to be disciplined at Butler; and basically can't do the same here in Nebraska. What happened?

Whatever happened; it's pretty clear it aint working.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Can't remember where I saw it, but there was a story somewhere about 2-3 assistants under Collier when he was at Butler who have gone on to their own D-1 gigs and been successful (at least, more successful than Collier has been at UNL).

There used to be a time when UNL basketball was the winter equivalent of football Saturday in Lincoln. I remember taking a date to a NU-OSU game that played before one of the 4-5 biggest crowds in DSC history. The place was rocking -- imagine the atmosphere on Friday night at the state wrestling tournament and you'd come close to what it was like.

UNL had some great teams in the early-mid 90's that got to The Show four years in a row, but it's been downhill since. I remember Nee's last year as coach and watching Kansas just drill UNL at Devaney and hearing KU fans in the deepest reaches of the DSC doing their "Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU" chant...and you could hear it almost as plain as a "Go Big Red" cheer after a Husker touchdown in Memorial Stadium.

Collier simply is incapable of coaching and building a top-notch program at the major D-1 level. After how many years, you would think this would be obvious even to a brilliant mind (allegedly) such as Steve Pedersen.

They could probably save millions by turning the basketball arena into a wrestling arena and promoting the Husker wrestlers who, oddly enough, are one of the top five teams in the nation right now (although you'd never know it by the way UNL markets athletics).

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
Picture of Kalhoun
There was some talk amongst "hopefuls" to get Johnny Dawkins , Dukes Assoc. Head coach.

Just the type of coach we need. Not yet proven as a head coach, but comes from a proven background. Lord knows it'd be very tough to impossible to bring in the type of experienced head coach that the Huskers would need.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Nebraska won't be able to land a big-name coach in its current state. Dawkins might be a good choice considering his lineage (a student of Coach K is never a bad thing to be).

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Junior High
Picture of Cyclone
he still needs to hit the road
Junior High
Picture of PitBullJim
quote:
(a student of Coach K is never a bad thing to be).

Yea, just ask Missouri!