Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Football Weather?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Football Weather? Login/Join

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Freshman/Sophomore football game here tonight cancelled due to tornado sighting 3-4 west of Ord. Not exactly the same old weather patterns these days. Played in a high school game back in the day, rained two inches by halftime with plummeting temperature. Shoe black turned socks black and feet, cheap blue jerseys stained undershirts and skin, second half it snowed hard balance of the game. Game went on to conclusion. Got a story like this of your own? What the hell are tornadoes doin' round here in football season?

posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
It's the terrorist turkeys fault...

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
World Champion
Picture of NWI
The second-coldest game I ever remember was my junior year in high school -- got frostbite in my fingers while trying to keep stats...what made it worse was that Centennial drilled us 28-0 in a dreadful 0-9 season.

Worst one was 1986 playoffs at David City -- an ice storm Sunday night moved Monday's games to Tuesday afternoon. Kickoff temperature that afternoon in D.C. was a brisk 5-below with a wind chill of 40-below. Had to hold my pen over an open flame in between plays to keep the ink from freezing. David City won 18-0.

Then there was the first year the finals were at Memorial Stadium -- drove through an ice storm to get to the stadium in time for the Milford-Battle Creek C1 final. I've never seen a bunch of sportswriters run as fast as we did getting back to the press box after freezing our fannies off in the on-field post-game interviews. I will say this...Stu can move when he really wants to...LOL.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
riiigghhhhhttt!!! Now I get it, I shoulda known; wasn't thinkin', thought it could be hurricane afteraffects. checked the ol' almanac though, sure enuff there it is in black & white, "The sudden appearance of small terrorist turkey flocks in rural backyards during early September will signal tornadic activity on football nights......" These games will not be played despite the level of severe weather previous games enjoyed Big Grin Eek

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
boy, we really need some wrestling news quick; rain, snow, football, cheap uniforms, terrorist turkeys just will not do it! How about this? What is the most extreme weather circumstances in which you played in, officiated or attended a football game?

Rookie
Actually spring and fall are the times the jet stream makes the weather right for tornadoes. We've typically seen this weather in spring time so it does seem odd for football season.

I never had any bad weather to play in as I recall. We did have snow to practice in during Oct. 1980 when we prepared to play Geneva. Was nice weather by game time though.

I'm thinking now-a-days that everyone is too gun shy because of prior experiences, plus the fear of a parent being so unhappy with playing in bad conditions that they sue when something happens to their kid. Could be too that schools don't want their fields tore up in bad weather.
Rookie
Picture of Cschumacher
Not any from high scholl but in college i played in the frozen tundra of north dakota. one game we played UNO it rained so long and hard the field was mud. Got into my stance and mud was up to my palm. UNO had all white uniforms. You could tell who subbed in. Would of hated to be the equipment manager that day. Many more stories of snow and cold to write here but would take up space.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cschumacher,