Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Bill Callahan
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bill Callahan Login/Join

<Guest>
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I would guess a head coach has never promised starting positions to this many high school seniors before...there are a lot of things going on in Lincoln that have never been done before.
<S0404>
boy its gonna be funny when all of these genius' are jumping back on the bandwagon...

People the bobcats of ohio are lookin for fans, im sure Franky would appreciate anything he could get
<Guest>
Teams with a boat load of freshmen starters compete for championships all the time (wink wink). This will take years to repair, not one good bunch of high school players. I'm a big Nebraska fan...just not a fan of Callahan. I believe time will prove that he over-promises and under-delivers...just like the 2004 season.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
S0404 - Notre Dame did it on several occasions during the 90's -- lots of promise that never showed up in the W column.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
<Guest>
quote:
Originally posted by NWI:
S0404 - Notre Dame did it on several occasions during the 90's -- lots of promise that never showed up in the W column.

lol well im gonna call you out on this one

if ur talking about the 90s that means well start with their 91 recruiting class

4 years later

95- 9-2 with an Orange Bowl Loss to FSU 31-26
96- 8-3 with a bowl loss to USC 20-27
97- 7-6 (independence bowl)
98- 8-3
99- 5-7

and i what a huge coincidence that ND recruiting started dropping off in 95/96 lol please mikey, this argument is horrible... try again later
Junior Varsity
Picture of S0404
AIM: Online Status For Spartan69ALM04
and whats even funnier about this is, how closely ND in the 90s resembles NU in the 00's... and you know why ND is having so many problems right now? RECRUITING!!!

good thing we have that fixed... but Mikey, maybe the Ohio Bobcats need a writer for when you're too stubborn to jump back on the bandwagon...
<RUBIKS CUBE>
Notre Dame has no problem recruiting intelligent student athletes who place an emphasis on a quality education. Anyone who knows anything about corporate America knows that putting a degree from Notre Dame on your resume is GOLD. You can write your own ticket. Their academic standards are miles above what is required to get into a Big 12 school. Comparing ND and NU in recruiting is like comparing apples and oranges...most of NU players would never qualify academically at ND. And here lies my problem with the manner in which Callahan is recruiting...he is selling NU as a springboard to the NFL. I would venture to guess that the majority of committments we have received have little interest in academics, instead have WILD dreams of fast cars, fast women, furs and gold bling-blings after signing their multi-million dollar contracts in the NFL..which Callahan is saying he will help them get if they come to NU. The cold hard facts are that VERY FEW of the all-star high school atheletes will every play a down in the NFL. Callahan in a sense is selling a lie. NU has always taken great pride in their graduation rate for their student atheletes...it was an important part of equation for Devaney, Osborne, and Solich. I'm afraid that is another part of the Nebraska program that has changed for the worst.
<S0404>
Every kid gets a shot at the NFL and all Callahan is telling them is he will give them their best shot... thats not a lie

btw anyone with problems with Callahan feel free to email him and on most cases he will email you back
<RUBIKS CUBE>
And no, I'm not going to move to Ohio and become a Bobcat fan just because I disagree with the direction that the football program is headed...I was here long before Callahan arrived and will be a NU fan(as well as a graduate) long after he has been shown the door.
<S0404>
Then just hop on the bandwagon back when we are winning again...

Nebraska Cornhuskers, Home of the worlds greatest fans (as long as we are winning NOW)
Novice
Picture of Kalhoun
Going back to his recruiting philosophy, he looks for the kid that is best overall. He's said in the past that academics plays a role in his recruiting. He tries to find out how serious they are academically. He's not going to pick a kid that he thinks will have trouble academically.

The media just doesn't like to cover this part of the story, because it's not as "exciting". so we don't hear this stuff.

I'm definitely excited for the next season and will be at Joe Sensor's bar&grill for the opening of the next Minnesotan's for Nebraska season.
<RUBIKS CUBE>
quote:
Originally posted by S0404:

Nebraska Cornhuskers, Home of the worlds greatest fans (as long as we are winning NOW)

I never hopped off the NU bandwagon...I just don't believe that Callahan has what it takes as a coach or as a person(i.e. Hillbillies, worst team in america) to lead this program back to respectability.
<S0404>
quote:
Originally posted by Rubiks Cube:
quote:
Originally posted by S0404:

I never hopped off the NU bandwagon...I just don't believe that Callahan has what it takes as a coach or as a person(i.e. Hillbillies, worst team in america) to lead this program back to respectability.

so because a coach calls a group of fans names he can't be a good coach? hmmm im not seeing the connection... Charlie McBride said himself that Callahan's an excellent coach and a perfect fit for NU... and what don't you think Callahan has? The coaching ability? Took a team to the superbowl Ability to bring in Athletes aka Solichitis? #1-#8 ranked recruiting class in the nation depending on who you ask with 6 kids (soon to be 8) playing in the Army All American game which we traditionally are lucky to have 1 recruit in.... What is it?
<RUBIKS CUBE>
It is a coach who refused to put his players in a position to be successful in 2004...insisting on passing when we had an option QB who clearly did not have the ability to run this offense. Destroying a freshman QB's confidence and burning a redshirt season in a 35-7 game, who had taken less than 10% of the snaps in practice, and then asking him to throw deep down the middle into a prevent defense. It is a coach who did a horrible job of managing the clock in several games, burning time outs in the 1st and third quarters attempting to get plays in from the sideline and getting numerous delay of game calls. A coach who had the worst special teams in the nation. A coach that took a nationally ranked defense and allowed Texas Tech to hang 70 on us...the worst defeat in school history. A coach that broke a 40-year winning streak and a 30+ year bowl streak. Thats what it is. Recruiting is a sales job. Callahan, because of the reasons mentioned above, has not shown me or anyone else in this state that he can coach or motivate at this level.
<S0404>
if he would have ran an offense that fit the players we have now wed be facing an empty cubboard again next year, same thing Carol went through at USC
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
Hey Rubiks cube what did Frank do in his tenure here? Bill Callahan had to show recruits he was committed to running an offense that would help them go pro and in the long run he will have the athletes here to run his offense. If your bud Frank was so great then how come he didn't recruit or land Vince Young, Adrian Peterson, Reggie Bush or any # of big time players who would not give us the time of day? The truth is Frank sucked and should have never been hired to begin with.
<RUBIKS CUBE>
Frank committed his ENTIRE adult life to the Nebraska Football program...thats all. Frank lacked the charisma to be a top recruiter and probably didn't have the skill set to be a head coach. But Frank deserved a lot better that what he got from Mr. Pederson. I'm am not here defending Frank Solich, the head coach...never have...I am debating the abilities of Bill Callahan, as the title of this thread reads.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
Rubiks you stated you didn't like Callahans clock management, however look at Franks tenure and a good majority of games we didn't have a timeout when we needed it because the QB blew it because Frank couldn't get a play in on time. Pete Carrol went 6-6 his 1st year at USC, so give BC time because his recruits are real football players, not the whiners we currently have.
<S0404>
why did my post get deleted?
<So Lucky>
If Frankie was so great as a coach...explain why it is that he has landed at the great college and conference called Ohio University and the MAC? Frank is not a great coach, he lived off of Tom's back and when he had a decent team, he blew it. After 5 years, and the remains of Tom's recruiting, he was washed up. Callahan will get the job done, just give it time! Everyone forgets that for the longest time Nebraska football lived off the backs of the weak 8. Now that they are in a real conference, they suck! The demands of playing a tough schedule has taken its toll on the program and maybe Nebraska should look at securing a pro sports franchise so that the people have something else to follow! In the real world, you take your 9-2 and 10-1 teams and celebrate. On the rare occasion that you win it all, then go down to 72nd street!