Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Observations from first week of college football
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Observations from first week of college football Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
1. Husker defense looks better than I thought, although Steinkuhler's injury is a concern. Callahan didn't go too deep in the playbook, but the offense looked pretty good -- aside from dropped passes that will be a concern all year.

2. Until Saturday, I was concerned about the road trip to Wake Forest. Taking the win and WF's loss at BC into consideration -- I think we'll do fine in Carolina this weekend.

3. Love the new kicker. If the opportunity presents itself, I'd love to see him try something from 60 yards or so. The 46-yarder he hit Saturday would have been good from at least that distance.

4. Notre Dame will go 5-7, if they're lucky. They looked absolutely pathetic vs. Ga. Tech. You want to know why Charlie Weis didn't announce his starter before the season opener? It's because HE'S STILL LOOKING FOR ONE!!! There are high school QB's in Nebraska who are better than what the Irish showed Saturday. The Irish could be 0-5 going into October.

5. Michigan figured they were getting a gimme by scheduling Appalachian State. What they got was the biggest choke job in college football history. Now Lloyd Carr HAS to beat Ohio State AND win the Big 10...anything less and he's scanning the want ads for administrative assistant jobs the week after Thanksgiving.

6. Speaking of Michigan -- did you know they TURNED DOWN an offer to host Hawaii to start the season? Considering the talent that the Rainbow Warriors have in Colt Brennan (my early pick for the Heisman) and their first-half showing against Northern Colorado late Saturday night, that may have turned out to be the smartest move Carr made in preparing for their season opener.

7. The Nebraska-Missouri game may end up being the highest-scoring game in Big 12 history. And if the season openers were any indication, the Blackshirts can just contain Missouri's offense, give up 30-40 points and win by 40-50. The Tigers couldn't stop a light fall breeze.

8. I hope the USC team that I saw play against WAC bottom-feeder Idaho shows up in Lincoln in two weeks. If they do, Nebraska has a chance to pull off the upset. They were very vanilla in their season-opener Saturday night. They made Idaho look a lot better than they are.

9. If you missed the pregame ceremony of the Virginia Tech home opener, you missed a very touching event. A lot of emotion involved in that game, and the post-game group prayer involving both teams' players was a great capper to the day.

10. Six words for Iowa AND Iowa State fans to remember these next few days -- wrestling season is two months away . . . Iowa looked very unimpressive against Northern Illinois, and if Iowa State can't move the ball in the second half against a Kent State team that would have trouble scoring against a defense that consists of Rocker, HB, Silverhwk, TK and ME (with me playing free safety)...it is going to be a very long, frustrating fall in Ames. That Iowa-Iowa State showdown in a couple of weeks may have all the charm and excitement of a half-eaten balogna sandwich.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
FREE SAFETY, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

World Champion
Picture of NWI
I'm thinking that I'm much too smart to play on the defensinve line, and not quite crazy enough to play linebacker. And if somebody as short as Cortney Grixby can play the position...why not me???

I got dibbs on playing water boy...

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Actually, I think you'd be a great linebacker for us. Ya' got a hard head and you're a little crazy...sounds like a good fit, I think...LOL.

Rookie
I would still be worried about the trip to WF. Boston College has a possible AA QB in Matt Ryan. Coupled with had they won 1 of 3 games last year they would have been your ACC champs and played in a BCS game. WF lost by 10 in a high scoring game. If I am Nebraska I still better worry.

With the USC game, they didn't want to show anything earlier and really just ran the ball against an overmatched Vandals team, who btw played a heck of the game. Also, the QB playing from them played at North Platte if you didn't know. I still think Nebraska has a good shot, but don't think that was USC putting 100% into it.
Junior High
My feeling on winning in Winston-Salem jumped up considerably when I heard Skinner is doubtful with a separated shoulder.
Junior High
Picture of PitBullJim
USC is going to kick the Husker's butt. Callahan... get ready to have dumbfounded looks on your face for the camera!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red Rocker,