Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Ridiculous Weight Management Stories
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Ridiculous Weight Management Stories Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
We had a kid whose weight mgt. plan said he could weigh no less than 171.02. He had to wrestle 189. Actually weighed in at 169.6.

Had another whose plan said no lower than 125.6. Had to wrestle 130. Actually weighed in at 123.6.

Neither are doing any "cutting".

Add your ridiculous stories here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red Rocker,

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Junior Varsity
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Ok, you asked. Ours is the opposite way though. I know it's not what you're looking for but I couldn't resist. Our 112 pounder was supposed to weigh no less than 110, but he weighed in at 124.

That's funny!

And ridiculous!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red Rocker,

-----------------
Photobucket

EISENHOWER
<Unk Alum>
posted   Report This Post  
He doesn't sound like a 112 pounder anymore.
Junior Varsity
That would be correct. His descent plan would actually allow him to go back down, but he/we long since made the decision to give up on 112. Not what I wanted to do, but it was one of those situations where I had to decide if I wanted him out for the next 3 years (he's a freshman). Comes from a basketball family (brother actually is a junior here on the basketball team). On the brighter side though, he went 2-1 first tourney at 125 and made the finals. Sad part is, his alpha test was at 114! There was a day when I would have just made him continue down, but like it or not, kids have changed a little, so I opted for the softer route. Good thing is, he's fairly tough and I expect him to do good things in the future so had to weigh a lot of pros and cons. Time will tell if it was the right move.
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
RR,

Hey, don't forget, we're savin' lives here!!!

OPC is administration at its apex!
Rookie
last year after cross country my son was checked weighed 117 was told he could only go to 114.when checked with team it was 115 and he could go 106.
this year 130 and to 126 when checked with team 122 down to 116. kids that were not cutting couldnt even pass hydration
Novice
One thing Red Rocker, you are consistent..... Smile
Rookie
i think back to the days when i was still in the hs program and if they had this system then i would have never wrestled at the weight that i did. the hydration test doesnt show alot if you ask me, half of us who dont even cut weight couldnt pass that because as a whole we dont drink a gallon of water each day.
Junior High
The alternative to following the decent plan is to get your kids to the weight they are going to wrestle (or atleast within 2lbs) and then test. I have done this the last two years and have had no problems with my kids wrestling out of their weight classes more than the first competition of the year. It is tricky to get them to the weight class and have them hydrated. May have to take the test a couple of times, but it has worked for me.

Relentless
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
That's what I do as well. Sometimes it takes a while, but if they get close on a Friday, do nothing but drink water all weekend, they can easily make their weight and be hydrated by the next Monday.
Novice
This year I thought if you were planned at 103.6 you could go to 103. I thought in the meeting you round down. I am a ref. that just does jv so I don't really have to deal with it.
Junior Varsity
That's what I do as well. That's why I was excited when my 112 weighed 114. He was ok to wrestle 112 first tourney. He just couldn't handle it mentally, so now he's 125! Wrestled of at 119 but couldn't beat the kid we have there.

quote:
Originally posted by baha03:
This year I thought if you were planned at 103.6 you could go to 103. I thought in the meeting you round down. I am a ref. that just does jv so I don't really have to deal with it.

That round down only applies to the lowest weight their decension plan will let them go to. If the calculation at 7% body fat is 103.6 (or anything up to .9999) it is rounded down to 106.

-----------------
Photobucket

EISENHOWER
Rookie
I am a coach at westside and we had a kid left out of the North Invite because of the strict weigh-in rules. He is a senior and just came out this year so it was his first weigh in. He was in the locker room ten feet from the scale, he did not step up when 171 was called and then the head official closed the weight. My kid let me know before a single 189 weighed in, yet I was told by the head official that he could not get into the tourny because 171 was closed. Even the tournament director was on my side, but our kid had to sit in the stands. Rediculous isn't it, I remember a time when you had until the end of weigh-ins to make weight. Kids would be out in the gym running up until the last minute to make it and they wrestled fine and where healthy. Now you have 1 chance or your done. Does this really help our sport?
Novice
Oh so you are talking just at the time being I get it.

It wasn't that long ago the year 2000 actually I ran both days at a two day tourny and the second day was still .1 pound over when weigh ins closed but they still let me wrestle
Junior High
These events are not only rediculous but also ridiculous.
Junior Varsity
Picture of 4Huskers
quote:
Originally posted by dswitz:
These events are not only rediculous but also ridiculous.

Novice
finally

quote:
Originally posted by ref:
finally

Don't be ridiculous...

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket