Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Brute results?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Brute results? Login/Join

<average>
posted   Report This Post  
does anyone have the results of the brute tournament over the weekend? particularly the 152 and up?
<Braveheart>
Junior - Justin Frage (Florida) defeated Kevin Nolan (Wisconsin) 6 - 4.

Freshman - Jimmy Waters (Iowa) pinned a kid from Kansas.

All results are listed on the pop-up window when you go to NWI:

http://www.nwimag.com
<Guest>
I don't know as much about the entire state of nebraska as many on this board, but I went to the junior results of Brute, and I had heard of less than 50% of the Nebraska wrestlers listed! Who are these guys? I'm not talking about the Ethertons, Weins, Woffords, etc. but the other 90% of our wrestlers. Was this tournament even worth having if this is the quality it brings out?
<Braveheart>
Nebraska was not well represented as far as total numbers. I had heard at least one other state had more representatives, my guess would be Missouri and/or Iowa as far as total numbers. So, where were the superstars from Nebraska? At least the ones that were there did show up.

Many state champions from other states made it... where were ours? Other than Vacanti, Wofford, Sherer

World Champion
Picture of HB
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I thought it was a good first year for the event. You have to start somewhere and there were tons of national level stars and state champions. Some highlights:

-Nebraska kids did pretty well but it would have been nice to have some other winners besides Vacanti and Smith.

-Wofford wrestled Varner TOUGH. Had him locked in a cradle to get his 3 points and Varner was actually given 2 backpoints he shouldn't have. It's not out of the question they could wrestle again next year at senior nationals.

-Vacanti rolled. He had a tough match against Moyer then Moyer lost to Warner of MO. The Hawaii kid was no match for Matt in the finals. Devon Kastler wrestled fabulous. He beat the Oklahoma state champion and then dismantled Moyer for 5th/6th.

-Marcum lost a 1 point match to the winner at 171 but he was clearly the better wrestler. He got thrown in a headlock and got an illegal move right off the bat so it was 6-0. He got about 7 takedowns in a row after that but the deficit was too much to overcome.

-Sherer got hosed in the finals. They called him for a locked hands from the neutral position. Some of the officiating was brutal. I am not usually a critic of the refs but the number of inconsistent calls were a bit much.

-Denson ran into a buzzsaw 2x state champ from Oklahoma.

-Hammond wrestled Waters very tough. He's really going to be tough.

-Best wrestler I saw at the tournament was the freshman Shane Nay of Missouri. Absolutely phenomenal talent.
<Guest>
GREAT tournament....however I couldn't believe the hometown wrestlers were not there. I'm not sure but I only noticed a handful of Lincoln wrestlers....why not support a hometown tourney???

I think this is all of them. If I missed anyone please note it.

Freshmen

Nick Meneely 8 F103
Jarrod Weins 5 F112
Andrew Younghans 7 F112
Chad Brester 5 F119
Greg Garcia 4 F125
Travis Kuhn 8 F125
Esai Dominguez 3 F130
Nate High 6 F130
Blake Fastnacht 8 F130
Brandon Doyle 2 F135
Matt Mueller 6 F135
Nick Hartnett 7 F145
Trevor Spudich 2 F171
Chris Johnson 7 F171
Tyler Schrader 4 F171
Zach Randall 5 F171
Derrick Bundy 5 F189
Jesse Frizzle 7 F189
Neil Bowman 4 F215
Jesse Leeling 6 F215
Taylor Escamilla 3 F275
Patrick Fletcher 5 F275

Sophomores

Matt Vacanti 1 S119
Dev Kastler 5 S119
Brody Mayberry 5 S125
JaySherer 2 S130
Josh Muirhead 4 S130
Casey Gubbels 7 S130
Zach Randall 6 S135
Chris Hillgren 8 S135
Aaron Denson 2 S140
Brady Harrington 5 S145
Andrew Daro 1 or 2 S152 (Finals match not up)
Jason Magill 7 S152
Wes Cooper 5 S160
Josh Marcum 4 S171
Jake Smith 1 or 2 S189 (Finals match not up)
Aaron Terry 4 S215
Jeff Hamilton 7 S215
James Walden 6 S215
Cody Lange 5 S275
Anthony Sjuts 8 S275

Juniors

Curtis Miller 4 J103
Dru Kastler 5 J12
Jake Muirhead 5 J125
Patrick Lamkin 8 J130
Ryan Ehterton 5 J135
Jared Meister 4 J140
Joe Hermann 8 J152
Craig Brester 2 J160
Levi Wooford 3 J171
Troy Schmid 8 J215
Tanner Sherlock 8 J275

-----------------
RR
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I'd say more, but I want to make mention of it in this week's TT&T. But I will say this...there's a sure-fire way to prevent this tournament from becoming a permanent fixture in the Nebraska wrestling community, and that would be to have similar numbers than what represented the state this weekend.

Obviously, there were other wrestling-related events going on, but I think the B/A folks will make an effort to schedule around those tournaments in the future. But it was a great first tournament, all things considered...
<wrestlers mom>
What a fun tournament!!! It is always fun to see how our boys compete against other states, and I think we did well.
Congrats to all Nebraska boys on their accomplishments!!!
Rookie
152 freshman Hammond ran and was all defence aginst Iowa kid Ty Brown from Crawford got 3rd very good couter wrestler and was in goodcondition.Dewey Bowers got 7th lost to 2nd on a late takedown lost to 4th on a toss after leading whole match . Hammond had by won first match then went 0-3
<omaha>
Terry and Hammond didn't wrestle good in this tournment but their were good competion Terry took 4th and Hammond took 6th
<March>
RR, one missed freshman:

Jeremy Small 6 F145
<Guest>
Seems like the Nebraska numbers were not proportionate to the rest of the tournament as far as the numbers in each grade represented (or maybe it's just the freshman placed more people versus sophomores/juniors according to the list that Red Rocker posted) but the overall tournament it was heavy with the number of juniors, then sophomores, and the freshman was the smallest group.
Novice
One that was left off of the list...

Nick Beaty 8th F145
Rookie
I was there all weekend, the consensus from the majority of coaches from all over was that the Officiating was excellent. There will always be disputed/cutting edge calls but as long they stay consistent the job is being done well.
Rookie
...and for the record, the call on Sherer was figure 4 to the head, which IS a technical violation, and which he DID do. Roll Eyes
<Guest>
Thanks for clarifying the XOfficial, we were sitting right in front of the mat and you are correct, clasping was not the issue. Sherer appeared to wrestle 'not to lose' and met someone with a similar reach/build and style.
<Guest>
figure 4 on the head is leagle its a head sissior thats a violation is this true ?
<Guest>
A figure 4 on the head from the NUETRAL postition is a technical violation. XX official is correct.
<nuetral>
Figure four or scissors on the head with or without an arm included is a delayed call so you give the man shooting the takedown the opportunity to score off of his deep takedown attempt. Since it is a delayed call it is signalled like locked hands which is another delayed call. It is to be signalled immmediately, which it was.

Jay is one of the most overlooked kids when it comes to Nebraska wrestling. Different style, but very good technically. Also a class act as he chose to finish the match after his opponent tried to rip his arm off. He needs commended for that effort and sportsmanship.