Find
Notify
Tools
DQed Login/Join

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Agreed, much worse goes on in BB and FB games that never cost the participant actual playing time. Swearing alone would clear the floor or field of most games and leave next games very shorthanded.

Rookie
This came straight from the NSAA Executive Director, Jim Tenopir:

"At the time the sportsmanship sit-out legislation was passed (about 8 years ago now), the Board of Control specified that for a dual wrestling tournament, the student would be required to sit out the remaining dual in which he/she was disqualified and the next dual in that tournament--if there were remaining duals.

So, if the wrestler that you referenced was disqualified in a dual tournament and that school had a remaining dual in that tournament, he would have needed to be withheld from that succeeding dual. If that occurred, the wrestler would now be eligible to participate in the next competition. If, however, that disqualification occurred in the final dual of that dual tournament, the wrestler would be required to sit out the next competition--which I suppose is the District Tournament. The Board's interpretation for a dual tournament differs from a normal bracketed tournament, in that, in that instance, the wrestler would have to be withheld from the next wrestling competition date."

Discussion ended. Like it or not, that is the ruling. Now everyone knows how this is to be handled and I'm sure it will be addressed at next year's official meetings.
Novice
Everybody set up a dual tournament the last tournament of the year. Then we will only have to hold our breath for one dual. This shocks me. I guess I was wrong.
Rookie
Picture of Cschumacher
This ruling makes no sense to me. They are treating each dual as an individual dual instead of a tournament. This should mean the dual tournament should count more for competition points. This is another great ruling by the NSAA.
Rookie
You're absolutely correct Eagle Warrior. Discussion ended. The NSAA will never be wrong and will always be able to cover their tracks somehow. All you coaches just realize that what you are told today may change tomorrow. Good luck to all this weekend.
State Qualifier
Following that logic, or lack thereof, a wrestler who is DQed in the semifinals of an invitational must sit out his next match, which would be a consolation match. Then he is good to go for the next meet.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by Eagle_Warrior:
This came straight from the NSAA Executive Director, Jim Tenopir:

"At the time the sportsmanship sit-out legislation was passed (about 8 years ago now), the Board of Control specified that for a dual wrestling tournament, the student would be required to sit out the remaining dual in which he/she was disqualified and the next dual in that tournament--if there were remaining duals.

So, if the wrestler that you referenced was disqualified in a dual tournament and that school had a remaining dual in that tournament, he would have needed to be withheld from that succeeding dual. If that occurred, the wrestler would now be eligible to participate in the next competition. If, however, that disqualification occurred in the final dual of that dual tournament, the wrestler would be required to sit out the next competition--which I suppose is the District Tournament. The Board's interpretation for a dual tournament differs from a normal bracketed tournament, in that, in that instance, the wrestler would have to be withheld from the next wrestling competition date."

Discussion ended. Like it or not, that is the ruling. Now everyone knows how this is to be handled and I'm sure it will be addressed at next year's official meetings.

So let me get this straight so I understand: If wrestler A throws a punch at wrestler B and lands a few choice swear words to everyone within earshot during the first dual of a dual team tournament and I call him for flagrant misconduct, he only has to sit out the next dual and then can represent himself and his school in dual #3 that day?? What about the immediate removal from the premises?

Here is what the NFHS rule book says about flagrant misconduct, verbatim:
Rule 5-12-2a: Flagrant misconduct is any physical act or nonphysical act which occurs before, during, or after a match and is considered by the referee to be serious enough to disqualify a contestant from the match and any additional wrestling in a multiple school event.

Rule 7-4-3: Flagrant Misconduct involves physical or nonphysical acts and they can occur before, during, or after a match and is any act considered by the referee to be serious enough to disqualify a contestant from the match and any additional wrestling in the multiple school event. It is not limited to striking, butting, elbowing, kicking, biting an opponent, or using tobacco products.

Furthermore, Rule 8-1-6 has this to say about Flagrant Misconduct: Flagrant Misconduct results in disqualification of the individual, immediate removal from the premises and the deduction of three team points on the first offense. A student may be removed from the premises only if there is authorized school personnel present to supervise said student. If no supervision is available, the student shall be confined to the bench area. Any contestant disqualified in an individual tournament competition is not entitled to any points earned in the tournament. All advancement points, fall points, placement points, etc. are negated. All vacancies created in the tournament pairing shall be scored as forfeits. In dual meet competition, any team points earned shall be negated. Flagrant misconduct will disqualify any individual from the remainder of a multiple school event or a tournament.

This extremely clear, especially since all 3 rules in the rule book are consistent as to the language when referencing disqualification from any additional wrestling, regardless of the type of tournament.
Rookie
Does anyone no of the status of the wrestler that the FC kid was wrestling at the time of the DQ? It appears on the results page that he did not wrestle in the rest of the duals either. Hopefully he is not injured.
Rookie
I was not planning on commenting on this subject, but since the question was brought up i can tell you that Fullerton's 125 wrestler was hurt in the match but is going to try to wrestle this weekend at districts. He has not practiced this week due to a shoulder injury sustained but he refuses to see a doctor until after districts or state. Hopefully it is nothing serious and he is ok by friday.

To clarify, he was hurt during the course of the match, not due to the actions that caused the flagrant misconduct. It was a very aggressive match that as a coach I was tempted to stop due to us being way outmatched and the other wrestler seemed to be out of control and wanting to inflict pain. We were behind 14-4 and it was obvious that we were not going to win the match - the other wrestler could have ended the match with a pin at any time during the match but continued to let us up and try to throw us.
He is a great wrestler that I would hate to see have his season end, but I also hate to see the NSAA backtrack and try to justify changing the rules due to the time of year it is. Everyone that was there that day knew the ramifications of the referees call, and most everyone agreed that the referee made the correct call. The Ft. Calhoun fans, coaches, and wrestlers handled the situation with total class and felt bad for the incident.
I wish the wrestler the best of luck if he wrestles this weekend and hopefully he learned a valuable lesson from what happened.
Good luck to everyone this weekend.
Junior Varsity
Interestingly enough, he's the #1 seed at 125 in C-1. Hmmmm. Several years ago our kid missed conference because of the same situation, and it was told to me when I called the NSAA that it was for that tourney and the next. Funny how things change. Everybody document this, because it'll come up again sometime, the precidence is set. As I said before, my beef isn't with FTC, it's with NSAA.
Junior Varsity
Pull to the top.

Yep it was Shane Perrigo. Read for yourself on what the NSAA determined.

LG
Novice
Picture of 3/4 Nelson
Was Boysen involved in this also? I really doubt he would rule against Tenopir but this seems to be the M.O. with this group.

I seen a situation this w/end where the flagrant foul wasn't called for some reason....the official felt it was his responsibility to be a nice guy and "talk" to the wrestler after his episode instead of hitting him with the call he deserved, does that make it right? not sure, the kid looked like he calmed down a little but it sets a bad precedence too. The kid then stormed out of the gym still throwing a fit. I didn't see his coach follow or stop him, just let him go about creating a scene.....was this kid taught a lesson? I think he learned he could act like a jackal and get away with it.

Bottom line is the kids need to be accountable to themselves, their teams and their programs and the coaches have the responsibility of doing what is right if the NSAA doesn't follow the rules. One way or the other the rules of sportsmanship need to be enforced. Kids make mistakes and hopefully everyone learns from those. I don't know anything about the FTC match and generally feel most coaches are going to deal with their kids to teach them right/wrong. My main problem is with the NSAA also, it sucks to have to do the right thing with your wrestlers and then watch someone else get away with murder and continue to compete.

"Defeat is not getting back up"
Rookie
Isn't Perrigo a Burke kid who was a Ft. Calhoun kid last year?
Rookie
Yes, he previously wrestled for Fort Calhoun and transferred to Burke this year. This thread was originally from 2009, but was brought back to the top by Let's Grapple to revisit it in light of Perrigo's DQ for flagrant misconduct again this last weekend.