Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    sties for districts?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
sties for districts? Login/Join

Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Yeah TK I am waiting for that shoe to drop!
You know the thing I find interesting is how can anyone or any group of so called intelligent people get together and schedule 27 teams in North Platte for Districts (A-4 and D-4), I do not know how many teams in D-4 will have to spend the night but I would imagine at least 1/2 of them
I am not knocking North Platte as I grew up in the central part of the state and consider the Cox family friends, but there is a limited # of hotels and other immentities. You all can do the math on how many folks will converge.
95 miles for Kearney is not to bad, but if you add up the Omaha and Lincoln schools miles it comes out around 1,350 versues coming the other way with Kearney and North Platte 355 plus 120 for the Omaha schools that is 475 to come to Lincoln. REAL SMART!
Or heck lets have them all in Omaha (A1,2,3 already there) and maybe the schools can just rent some mat time some where and stay the 4 days between Districts and State and really have a great time. You never know maybe there could be a dual tournament or somenthing in the works for all of class A
Oh well you can't out think the thinkers can you

hawk

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
Let me add to the quagmire, C-4 is in Hershey, just west of North Platte!!

Rookie
Did some searching...maybe this link to hotels in North Platte will help some of you.

North Platte Hotels Link

OK hawk here's a pile of shoes droppin' for ya...Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Don't see much sense in it either unless it was the "West" turn to host the District in A-4. Call it psychic from this thread when the assignments came out!

Now as far as the tour of the Arch at 0500, you'll have to take care of that on your own as most of us will be in NP the night before for the seed meeting. But if you want to stop at the "Chicken Coop" (a buddy of mine from Colorado asked me what was with the "Chicken Coop" when he came through...)

on the way by, doubt if anybody will stop you...

They almost always have the seed meeting the night before and with the amount of distance everybody has to travel I would imagine it won't change this year. Not bad though as for a short trip across town, you can catch a round or so of the D-4 at St. Pat's or drive 13 miles and see the C-4! Good diversion instead of sitting in a motel room!

NP does have a brand new gym so that's a plus. Unless they stick us at Adams again and that's just a plain circus...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red Rocker,

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
Make that plural, Hawk! BwahahaBwahaha

Junior Varsity
Picture of Stat Boy
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
quote:
Originally posted by B.S.:
I have heard that most districts our set. I was wondering if the coaches who know were they are can give some of us a heads up. Thanks.

I like the way you spelled your topic title.

The Stat Boy

Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
Well boy's here is a fact. I have driven past the "coop" at least a thousand times and for some unknown reason I have never stopped to check it out. The only thing I can say good about it is that most of the time they have some type of speed detection device in it and when I make that curve I know if my radar detector is functioning (ususally that 4:30 am trip to the blind).
I doubt I will make it to NP "new gym or not" for that one, instead I might get a jump on finiding my way thru "Big Bad Omaha" and take in the boys from my 2nd favorite team East High Spartans, sorry RR but you know why!

Good Luck to all this season in all classes, be safe, be strong, set your goals, never give up, BE GRACIOUS in victory and defeat, and most of all DREAM BIG! It can happen Wink

hawk

Rookie
lots of crying from the lincoln/omaha crowd. Last spring with all the discusion about the Quest, all of us outside of lincoln/omaha were told not to worry about the extra miles. So now your teams get to sleep in a strange bed, try to eat motel food and watch weight, and then wrestle.Join the rest of the world and stop complaining.
Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
Its sarcasism huskerwrestling fan nothing more, just giving the old coach a hard time. As I stated I grew up in the central part of the state and still Love it their.
The point is with fuel prices being what they are as well as all other costs being up, tight budgets, and all I was just pointing towards the brillance that the NSAA showed again.

For instance LPS is telling us that they are paying for anything other than transportation. No overnight stays, meals, etc. and now it is up to the parents and boosters to make it happen. Hopefully that is not the case all over!

hawk

Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
huskerwrestlingfan:

Going to North Platte is not the issue. It's financially irresponsible. Nobody is complaining about having to go there. It just doesn't make sense.

It would have been like having all of the teams from the A-4 district of the past (Scottsbluff, Hastings, Kearney, North Platte, etc.) travel to the one Lincoln school that got drawn in.

And where we're stayin', there's not "hotel food" (unless Motel 6 has room service).

Unless we do decide to stay at KOA, then all the guys who can eat can grill 'em up, right Tom? Thanks for thinking of us!
World Champion
Picture of NWI
The problem is that the vast majority of A schools are east of Highway 81. Of the 32 schools in the class, 29 are east of Highway 81. Grand Island, Kearney and North Platte are the lone "west" A schools. So no matter how you slice it, a bunch of schools are going to have to do some major traveling (although holding A-4 in Kearney would have made more sense and reduced some of the travel for the Lincoln schools).

But what if you added eight teams to Class A, making it 40 teams instead of 32? You would still have the vast majority on the east, but would have enough west of 81 that only two "east" schools would have to go west.

Over half of the current A schools (18) are in the Omaha metro area (including Elkhorn). Eleven more consist of Lincoln's schools (7), Columbus, Fremont, Norfolk and South Sioux City.

Add the eight biggest B schools to Class A, and you could have a more regionally-based district setup, rather than the serpintine system now in place. You would add Lexington, Grand Island Northwest, Hastings, Scottsbluff and Alliance (the last three are former A schools) and would need just two other schools that could be rotated among the remaining 32 schools (meaning your school would have to make a trip to the A-4 district just once every 16 years). One school could go from the Omaha/Metro group and the other would be from the Lincoln/Eastern Neb. block of teams.

From there, each of the remaining three districts would have six Omaha/Metro teams and four Lincoln/Eastern Neb. teams, and all three districts could be held in locations that would be better, from a travel perspective, for all schools.

Class A's district setup could look something like this (completely hypothetical, folks...don't read anything into who's going where...for discussion purposes only):

A-1 at Columbus -- Columbus, Norfolk, Lincoln Northstar, Lincoln Southwest, Ralston, Papillion-LaVista, Papillion-LaVista South, Omaha Northwest, Omaha Burke, Omaha North.

A-2 at Lincoln Northeast -- Beatrice, Fremont, Lincoln Northeast, Lincoln Southeast, Millard North, Bellevue East, Millard South, Omaha Skutt, Omaha Central, Omaha Bryan.

A-3 at Elkhorn -- Blair, South Sioux City, Lincoln East, Lincoln Pius, Millard West, Bellevue West, Elkhorn, Omaha Benson, Creighton Prep, Omaha South.

A-4 at Kearney -- Lexington, Grand Island, Grand Island Northwest, Hastings, Kearney, Scottsbluff, Alliance, North Platte, Omaha Westside, Lincoln High.

As for what to do with Class B after those eight go up, it's simple -- top 8 in C move up to B, top 8 in D go to C. You still have 48 in B and 64 in C, and only 67 -- instead of the current 75, which is insane -- for D.

Just my $.27 (adjusted for inflation)

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray