Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    11/12 Classifications
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
11/12 Classifications Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Rick,

I hate to agree with you on that, but I'll go further and say that we may only be seeing the beginning of some HUGE changes in high school sports in general.

Budgets will be getting slashed as the state continues providing less and less funding for public education. State Sen. Mike Flood was at a public forum here in Wayne recently, and he said people in rural areas, particularly those with higher land valuations, should "get used to" not having any state aid in the next 5-10 years at the current pace.

Here in this area, Winside lost more than 60 percent of its state funding, Wayne lost more than $600 thousand and Laurel-Concord has lost about 80-90 percent of the state aid they received two years ago. If these drops keep up, schools will be forced to merge or make major cuts in everything from education programs to extracurricular activities.

It won't surprise me at all if we see a big drop in small-school programs in the next decade, which really bothers me because it's going to leave kids without opportunities to better themselves outside the classroom, or create some major financial strains on those families who choose to option their kids to schools farther away to take advantage of whatever opportunities are in their area.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
Can anyone tell me what the cutoff number between B/C have been for the past 5 years?
Junior High
Usually falls in the upper 170s... Don't think it's been higher than 180 in the last 5 years, but I could be wrong. I erase and redo the same list every year, so I don't have it saved.

Relentless
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
About 4 or 5 years ago it was around 184 or 185 I believe...... We were considering inviting Mead to coop with us, and it would have put us over the limit by 2 kids, I think, and we would have had a combined enrollment of 186.

Rick Henry

Rookie
Isn't Howells co-op'ing with Dodge this year, and consolidating the year after? Will that make their numbers high enough for class C?
Junior High
Any news on Co-ops for the 2011/2012 season? Mitchell/Morrill?

Relentless
Junior Varsity
Mitchell and Morrill were talking about consolidation, and I think it was pretty close to a done deal until Morrill got into some hot water. I do not think they would co-op because Mitchell realy has no reason to do it.
Novice
just wondering when 11/12 Classifications come out ?
Novice
Picture of lorilwayne
There is some talk that Heartland who is cooped with York currently may drop the offering of the co-op due to numbers. That won't happen this year but next. Probably wouldn't affect the districts as York is high enough in numbers but just sad to see another wrestling program go down.
Junior High
Any news on new coops coming up?

Relentless
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I think all that stuff comes out after Labor Day.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
Wakefield/Allen is new for this year.
Novice
Did Howells and Dodge Coop? Also I have hear that Mitchell and Morrill is a no go for this year.
Rookie
I hear O'Neill has dropped St. Mary's from their squad. If this is true they will create quit a stir in class C. I know they have one of the best freshman classes in the state reguardless of class.
Junior High
Picture of Vader
According to last year's coops, O'Neill will be with St. Mary's this year again. They are a two year deal. I don't think you can break them.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
In wrestling, I think you can get out of a two year agreement...... as it doesn't mess with the state's schedule (like in FB). If you request it soon enough, and can show justification, I think you can get out of that agreement, but I've been wrong several times today!

Rick Henry

Junior Varsity
Classifications are up for those that didn't notice. O'Neill drops coop and in Class C. Cross County/Osceola in Class C
Novice
District assignments are also posted.
Junior High
Picture of Vegas Kid
Junior High
Picture of Vader
You were right, Rick!!!!