NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I've got it tuned in!

Rick Henry

World Champion
Picture of HB
Thanks again Doug-that was outstanding. Brought a tear to my eye being able to hear the old dog's voice again.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Awesome tribute, Doug!!! Got no other words for it, man...just freaking awesome.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
Picture of starwrestler
A long tough battle for a tough guy! He touched many in our small wrestling community here in Nebraska. He will be missed! Say hello to Jesus for us all!
Rookie
Very nice, Doug! Is the show archived, so people can listen to it if they missed it?

Coach Meyer
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
Thanks Duda......... I appreciated it!

Rick Henry

Junior High
Picture of Vegas Kid
Prayers with his family and to his extended wrestling family.

Phil Severson
Rookie
Thanks guys. The show is archived at espnsuperstation.com.
State Qualifier
I went to espnsuperstation.com and couldn't find it. The only archive I could find with today's date was the Brad Vering interview. Can someone post a link to it?
thanks.
Junior Varsity
Picture of rmh
Frank, It is the very last thing on that clip with Brad Vering.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Brad's interview is in the last 15 minutes of the show, and the tribute to Mike is in the final 5-7 minutes.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
Thank you for the tribute, Doug. It was music to my ears to hear his voice again.
Toni
Junior High
He never knew me personally but always knew me on this site. He was courteous and humorous and always coverd my tech ineptitude. He never attacked or ripped the site commentators- just disagreed when he saw fit. In this world that is batting > .400.

I will regret his absence.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
It was great to meet you Toni....... I hope you and your family continue to find strength and support in the groups and individuals that Rocker had an impact on..... Please stop by every once in a while and give us an update on how everything is going. Once again, it was a pleasure to meet you and share in the tribute to your brother's life.

Rick Henry

State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Ryan:
Good Man Down

On Thursday, April 7, 2011 the Kearney Community and all of the wrestling community lost a good man to that terrible disease, cancer. Anyone who reads or posts on huskermat.com has seen posts and those hilarious pictures by Red Rocker. Those of us who were fortunate to know him as Mike Fleshman were blessed with a true friend. It was obvious at the first meeting that Mike was an extremely tough man. (Who else, when taking chemotherapy treatments, would go to Wyoming and shoot an elk during the week between two treatments.)

After a short period of time it became just as obvious that as tough as he was on the outside he was that soft on the inside. The pictures and emails of his family screamed out his love for them. His posts before Memorial Day and the Fourth of July showed his pride in, and his love for, his country.

One year at the state tournament I was looking for Mike and saw some Kearney Bearcat wrestlers walking toward me. I stopped them to ask if they knew where I could find Mike. In the course of our conversation I asked how Mike was as a coach. They responded, “Tough, very tough. But a very good coach.” I’m sure that they know that there is a tremendous difference between “tough meanness “ and “tough love”. Mike’s life was built around “tough love.”

As tragic as it is when a good man is struck down in the prime of his life there is one consolation. Mike is a man of tremendous faith in God. I am 100% certain that Mike is in Heaven now, checking to see that the mats are properly taped and the scoreboards are working, all the while belting out Sammy Hager's "Where Eagles Fly".

When God created the oyster He gave it complete security. When the oyster is hungry it opens its shell and lets the current wash food into its mouth. When the oyster is threatened by an enemy it closes its shell and hopes the shell is strong enough to withstand the enemy’s attempts to open it. The oyster lays its eggs and releases them into the current. Maybe some of them will hatch, survive, and create the next generation of oysters.

When God created the eagle He gave it the instincts to seek out the greatest challenges. The eagle builds its nest in the highest and most rugged rocky crags, where the nest is buffeted by the strongest winds and most vicious storms. The eagle hunts and brings food back to its mate and its babies. It will fight to the death to defend its family.
The eagle, not the oyster, is the symbol of America.

Mike Fleshman, October 12,1963-April 7, 2011. An American Eagle.

Enjoy your Eternal Rewards, Mike. You’ve earned them.
May he Rest In Peace and May Perpetual Light shine upon him.
Rookie
I have the utmost respect for individuals that don’t work in the school system who find time to work with kids. If a school employs you, your job is working with kids, so coaching is a natural extension of that. When you work outside of school you are often pulled in different directions and making that kind of commitment is really hard for anyone to do consistently. The world needs more people willing to give of themselves like this.

I didn't know Red Rocker personally. I didn't even know his real name until recently. I pieced together over the years that he was involved in some capacity with Bearcat wrestling, I just didn't know how. I wasn't real sure if he was a coach or a booster or a fan... I always enjoyed his pictures and posts on the board. He seemed to be able to find a picture for every statement ever made. We had a difference of opinion on the Back 9 one time, the thing I respected even when we were bantering back and forth was that he listened and seemed to respect my position even if he didn’t agree with it. I’m sad that I just now was able to put a face with the name. In doing so, I realized that we had actually crossed paths a few other times over the years in of all places, seeding meetings. He coached the JV wrestlers from Kearney at the GICC tournament. My memories of him there were also in the form of debate. The time I really remember was from a couple of years ago when he was arguing for a seed for his guy over one of ours. His kid had the better record, but we had beaten the Kearney varsity kid the previous week at Boone Central. We didn’t have any common opponents through previous competition, but it was my contention that we should get the seed. I mean we beat the varsity guy, haven’t we shown we’re better then the JV kid? Mike was adamant that his kid’s better record was and should be the final criteria and in the end his wrestler got the seed. I was furious. At the time, I couldn’t, for the life of me, figure out why someone would ever try and fight the fight he did that day. I view it a little different now, after learning more about the man.

In that seeding meeting years ago I now see the man so many of you have described. I have a quote in my room that says, “Character is who you are when people aren’t watching.” He had that figured out. Mike’s loyalty to his wrestler was on display in that seeding meeting, even if he wasn’t present to see it. At the time, I mistook it for something else. If you want to teach kids to fight for themselves, or more importantly fight for each other, you better be willing to go to bat for them, no matter what others may think of you. He wasn’t a man concerned with image; his sense of duty was first and foremost with those that he served. I wish I had had a better grasp of all that before now, then maybe I could have overcome my pettiness and gotten to know a good man a little better.

Dr. King prophetically said, “The quality, not the longevity, of one's life is what is important.” I can imagine that during this incredibly difficult time it offers little comfort to his family and friends. But for what it’s worth, it is pretty clear that Mike lived a quality life, the kind we should all attempt to live; even to those that knew him very little. God bless you for your service in this life Red Rocker. RIP.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: B Corkle,
Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
B. Corkle
Sir you have described him perfectly. At the service the priest spoke of his dedication in every thing he undertook whether that be Scouting, Knights of Columbus, Wrestling, Hunting, etc.
And here you are making that same observation!

I would like to say THANKS for sharing that story and hopefully all that read your post now understand who the man was just a little better!

Thanks again

hawk

Novice
That was a very nice post. Rocker would have appreciated it and I will make sure the family sees it. They have asked me to save posts from Huskermat for them.
Rookie
B. Corkle and everyone else who have posted memories about Mike. Thank you so much for sharing them! It is very comforting for us (his family) to read these encounters you've had with Mike. I have been in seeding meetings before and always liked watching two coaches jockeying for a seed. Thanks for sharing your story!

I find myself many times daily picking up my phone to text or call him and tell him something about his nieces or ask him a silly question for which he always had an answer.

My mom has been visitng the site as well this last week and has found comfort in your words and tributes. They are much appreciated.

I wish I had had more time to sit down and visit with those of you who were able to come the Rosary and funeral. I do feel like I know so many of you just from getting on HM and reading all the threads of news and debate. You truly are an extended family that Mike loved. Thank you for sharing Mike's life and allowing him to be a part of something so dear to him!

He was and always will be close to our hearts.

Toni

World Champion
Picture of HB
Toni-if you could email me that would be great. Thanks!