Find
Notify
Tools
Rocker Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
quote:
Originally posted by HB:
Toni-if you could email me that would be great. Thanks!

You have mail! Smile
Rookie
Picture of Titan
No I never got to meet the RED ROCKER, but since the crowd around here seem to think a lot of him, he had to have been a great man. Just being a wrestler or wrestling coach, puts him in high standing!! Smile
My sincerest condolences to the family!!!
May eagles fly free....
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by B Corkle:
I have the utmost respect for individuals that don’t work in the school system who find time to work with kids. If a school employs you, your job is working with kids, so coaching is a natural extension of that. When you work outside of school you are often pulled in different directions and making that kind of commitment is really hard for anyone to do consistently. The world needs more people willing to give of themselves like this.

I didn't know Red Rocker personally. I didn't even know his real name until recently. I pieced together over the years that he was involved in some capacity with Bearcat wrestling, I just didn't know how. I wasn't real sure if he was a coach or a booster or a fan... I always enjoyed his pictures and posts on the board. He seemed to be able to find a picture for every statement ever made. We had a difference of opinion on the Back 9 one time, the thing I respected even when we were bantering back and forth was that he listened and seemed to respect my position even if he didn’t agree with it. I’m sad that I just now was able to put a face with the name. In doing so, I realized that we had actually crossed paths a few other times over the years in of all places, seeding meetings. He coached the JV wrestlers from Kearney at the GICC tournament. My memories of him there were also in the form of debate. The time I really remember was from a couple of years ago when he was arguing for a seed for his guy over one of ours. His kid had the better record, but we had beaten the Kearney varsity kid the previous week at Boone Central. We didn’t have any common opponents through previous competition, but it was my contention that we should get the seed. I mean we beat the varsity guy, haven’t we shown we’re better then the JV kid? Mike was adamant that his kid’s better record was and should be the final criteria and in the end his wrestler got the seed. I was furious. At the time, I couldn’t, for the life of me, figure out why someone would ever try and fight the fight he did that day. I view it a little different now, after learning more about the man.

In that seeding meeting years ago I now see the man so many of you have described. I have a quote in my room that says, “Character is who you are when people aren’t watching.” He had that figured out. Mike’s loyalty to his wrestler was on display in that seeding meeting, even if he wasn’t present to see it. At the time, I mistook it for something else. If you want to teach kids to fight for themselves, or more importantly fight for each other, you better be willing to go to bat for them, no matter what others may think of you. HE WASN'T A MAN CONCERNED WITH IMAGE; his sense of duty was first and foremost with those that he served. I wish I had had a better grasp of all that before now, then maybe I could have overcome my pettiness and gotten to know a good man a little better.

Dr. King prophetically said, THE QUALITY, NOT THE LONGEVITY OF LIFE IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT.” I can imagine that during this incredibly difficult time it offers little comfort to his family and friends. But for what it’s worth, it is pretty clear that Mike lived a quality life, the kind we should all attempt to live; even to those that knew him very little. God bless you for your service in this life Red Rocker. RIP.

Coach Corkle, Thank you for the kind words about our friend. You are very astute in your observations about him. I'd like to elaborate on two of your thoughts, which I have changed to All Caps in your post.

HE WASN'T A MAN CONCERNED WITH IMAGE. Mike was the ultimate WYSYG (What you see is what you get.) He knew the Good Lord had given him certain traits and talents and to try to change himself would be a denial of God's plan.

THE QUALITY, NOT THE LONGEVITY OF LIFE IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT. As I sat in the visitation and listened to speaker after speaker from all walks of life tell of the impact he had on them I began to wonder, "How could he have done so many things and made so many friends in such a short life." His birth certificate may have said 47 but his odometer said at least 95 or 100.
Rookie
Picture of outstatefan
For those of you who were at the Rosary - and remember Coach McCann talking about Mike's favorite move (throw); the lateral drop. When my son was a Freshman at State, he was in his first wrestle back match, down by 2 or 3 points in the third period. Earlier in the match his left elbow was severly hyper extended and he was essentially wrestling with just his right arm. He came out from the bottom with an escape with just a few seconds left. Next thing we saw was an over/under and feet flying through the air. You guessed it, Mike's favorite throw. Later I saw some pictures taken by a matside photographer; in the background across the mats was our Mike with his arms raised in celebration. When I showed him the picture he was quick to point out that "I'm a sucker for a good throw!" I'll never forget the expression he had in the picture nor how he relived the moment when I told him about the picture. Mike, thanks for taking a moment to watch the kid in the green singlet, and being our friend. Two wrestling memories that will never be forgotten.
Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
I keep scrolling thru different things like my phone, e-mails, sent items, or here on HM and I come across his # or something he sent me or maybe hear "I Cant Drive 55" and he comes back to me. He is here with us and for that I am grateful!
Miss you Brother!

hawk

NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
When and if there ever is another moderator on this site...... I would like to have Rocker's name remain as well. At the top of the page where its always been...... But that's just me! He is still moderating!

Rick Henry

State Qualifier
Second the motion.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Amen!

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
Picture of outstatefan
quote:
Originally posted by hawk:
I keep scrolling thru different things like my phone, e-mails, sent items, or here on HM and I come across his # or something he sent me or maybe hear "I Cant Drive 55" and he comes back to me. He is here with us and for that I am grateful!
Miss you Brother!

Every morning I drive by L&S where Mike worked: and every day I keep expecting to see the BLK LAB parked in the usual place. I expect I'll never quit looking that way and hoping to see Mike at work again. And hats off to the L&S crew as they seem to have this spot permanently reserved for their friend and ours.

World Champion
Picture of HB
On my way to McCook last week, I stopped in Kearney to get gas and ended up driving by the hospital and church and then decided to go by L&S where Mike worked just to see the route he drove to work every day and where many of our conversations took place.

Of course his name will remain at the top. I've also got something I'm going to put up soon. Stay tuned.
Rookie
Picture of outstatefan
quote:
Originally posted by HB:
On my way to McCook last week, I stopped in Kearney to get gas and ended up driving by the hospital and church and then decided to go by L&S where Mike worked just to see the route he drove to work every day and where many of our conversations took place.

Of course his name will remain at the top. I've also got something I'm going to put up soon. Stay tuned.

Thanks HB, that's our guy.

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
Corkle, I have to admit, you teared me up, well said!

Mike Fleshman meant a lot to me!

Mike Fleshman was good friend of mine!

Junior Varsity
Picture of rmh
HB, Love the picture at the top of the forum page. Took me by surprise. Wasn't prepared to see Mike's face when I slipped into the forum today. I miss our friend.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I listened to Sammy's "I Never Said Goodbye" CD on the way home from the funeral that day...haven't been able to listen to a SH song since then. Heard "Poundcake" on Pandora this afternoon and had to walk away from my computer.

I miss him too, guys...what a good friend he was.

State Qualifier
When I read though the many nice things that posters have written in this thread I have to quote our good friend, "Kinda makes my eyes leak".
Rookie
When the new weight classes came out earlier this week, came on here to see reactions. Mike must have been tapping me on the shoulder this morning, as I reached for my phone to text him (frequently happens) so decided to come here where I feel him too. Thanks HB for the picture. Warmed my heart.

Outstate fan, I went by L & S after the funeral as well. Flags were at half-staff. Mike was very patriotic and was always concerned about flag etiquette. He would have been humbled to have seen those beautiful flags against the gorgeous blue sky rustling in the breeze in his honor.

And Frank, my eyes are "leaking a little" right now too.
Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
Had a Cabo Wabo picture come across the screen saver this morning! Brother Mike always wanted to make it there and I am betting he found his way!
Miss you Brother!

hawk

Rookie
It is nice to see that there are still people who really cared about Mike, expressing feelings and telling stories. It is because of that remembered a story about Mike that I would like to share and have to thank Hawk for jogging my memory.
As you all know Mike was a detail oriented person. Well one year when preparing for the Elk hunt, Mike told me that he had a surprise and that I would not find out until we got to camp. I got curious while helping pack and tried to get some sort of clue. Only thing I saw out of the ordinary were these plastic margarita glasses, and they were tinted blue. I thought to myself, what in the H did Fleshman pack girlie glasses for. We were men, we drink beer. Got up to the tent one night and out of the blue there were these glasses filled with Cabo Wabo and margarita mix (Waboritas Mike called them, and I am sure he found this drink online). First thing I said was nobody can take pictures while the three of us were at Elk camp sipping out of girlie glasses.
That bottle was consumed in a couple hours and I never told him but those were the best darn drinks we had up there. Thanks Fleechy friend and take care.
Rookie
HAHA! B4NU0270....Yes, the Waboritas! We went to a VH concert in Omaha and stayed at the Hilton. Mike told me about a drink he was going to have for us as a preshow warm-up (we met NWI there as well). It didn't take us long to polish off the bottle either, just like at elk camp! Red Face)

Hawk...That was one of the places Mike and I always wanted to see Sammy was in Cabo...we often talked about it, sure wish we could have made it...but you're right, he probably found his way. One of his good friends (also a HUGE Red Rocker fan) and I were talking at the funeral that we should make the trip anyway in Mike's honor and don't be surprised if I come on here one day and post some pics! Red Face)

Happy Father's day out there to all you Dads!
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I remember the pre-show party at the Hilton. That was a blast...I think a lot of us had talked with Mike, at one time or another, about a trip to Cabo. I'm sure he's already mixing it up down there and enjoying the show.

Happy Father's Day to all.