Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    QWEST attendance
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
QWEST attendance Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
No Nate, I'm stating that many times the attitude you display has a direct impact on the service you receive. It isn't just Omaha, it's everywhere.

Like I stated above, if you are treated badly, let the management know and move on to the next place of business. I stayed in West Omaha and didn't have any problems, although shopping wasn't part of my plans so I can't speak for that. I was there to watch wrestling.

We all have choices. If you do not want to accept one or more of the choices, that is your perrogative but don't come in here whining that you are treated poorly when you don't let the management of the establishments know you expect better then follow up by taking your business elsewhere.

We are not "owed" anything. Whether you like it or not, we are just another bunch of folks in town for some event that want to purchase goods and services. If you don't like the goods or service, take your business elsewhere but don't whine about it if you're not willing to do something about it.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog:
quote:
Originally posted by JOH:
Just like anything else in life Craig, you and your fans have choices. You can speak with your wallet just as much as the next guy. If you or your fans don't like the prices or how you are treated, let them know about it and move to the next place of business. Pretty simple really. But at the same time let the folks who treat you right know that it is appreciated. Personally I've been treated just fine the last 3 State Tournaments. Many times the service one gets is equal to the attitude presented. HMMMMMMMMMM.

If you are afraid of the big bad traffic in Omaha and want to stay close to the Qwest Center, you are going to have to pay for it. Personally, I know several teams stayed out in West Omaha and never had a problem making weigh-ins.

I'm sure Angrybilly will welcome you and your fans to his "Great Qwest Center Boycott" but you better get used to it. It ain't movin' in the near future.

Where did I say that I would boycott the Qwest? i guarantee you you won't find it so quit flaming lies! Answer me one question honestly JOH, is the attendance the 1st 3 years at the Qwest = to the attendance the last 3 years at Devaney? People bitch about the safety issue at Devaney and there is one simple solution to it, do away with Dollomur mats and go back to the Resilite mats I had when I wrestled there and bingo no mats overlapping. P.S don't give me the B.S of people staying in West Omaha not having traffic problems because at Friday weigh-ins I saw 3 coaches and wrestlers sprinting to weigh-in area at 6:55 because of a traffic jam and guess where they stayed you guessed it West Omaha.

With that type of attitude, it's no wonder you get poor service.

Simple solution, let the people who can do something about it know that you are displeased with their service. If the will not or cannot change, take your business elsewhere.

Oh, and I suppose it was no fault of the 3 coaches and wrestlers that they didn't leave their motel in time either right? C'mon Craig, admit it. You hate wrestling in Omaha and will make any excuse to try to get people to believe that it should be moved back to Lincoln. Newsflash, it's not gonna happen.

[sarcasm]Good Night, I gotta get up 4 hours early so I can make it to work from West Omaha to Downtown Omaha.[/sarcasm]
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
JOH BTW they left there hotel out by Burke Stadium at 6:00 in the morning, it is great that it took 50 minutes to get across town. I don't hate wrestling in Omaha, for crying out loud we have placed 2nd, 6th and 3rd in Omaha but I am sick of the treatment we get and I am sick of no attendance. You still haven't answered me why is attendance down?
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
We drove every day from Bennington (further than West Omaha) and never had a single problem with traffic. In fact it has been better than when we drove in Lincoln (not kidding). Maybe we were just lucky the past three years.

I have lived in the Omaha area for many years now and the way we are treated at restaurants are no different than Lincoln or anywhere else. Hotels raising rates disappoint me, but I have been through that before in other cities.

The Qwest does an excellent job hosting events. However, I agree they have a lot to learn about running a high school event. Before you judge them maybe it is the NSAA that dictates some of that. For example, the NSAA changed one tradition of the returning state champion cheerleaders leading the parade of champions and handing out medals. We had a few disappointed cheerleaders. Before you blame the Qwest for everything make sure it is not the NSAA making the changes.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
quote:
Originally posted by Badger:
We drove every day from Bennington (further than West Omaha) and never had a single problem with traffic. In fact it has been better than when we drove in Lincoln (not kidding). Maybe we were just lucky the past three years.

I have lived in the Omaha area for many years now and the way we are treated at restaurants are no different than Lincoln or anywhere else. Hotels raising rate disappoint me, but I have been through that before in other cities.

The Qwest does an excellent job hosting events. However, I agree they have a lot to learn about running a high school event. Before you judge them maybe it is the NSAA that dictates some of that. For example, the NSAA changed one tradition of the returning state champion cheerleaders leading the parade of champions and handing out medals. We had a few disappointed cheerleaders. Before you blame the Qwest for everything make sure it is not the NSAA making the changes.

\
Alan answer me one question which this thread deals with, why was attendance better in Lincoln than Omaha? The problem lies that Omaha has never embraced outstate Nebraska for anything and they still don't. We might not have the population base in the rest of the state that the greater Omaha area does but our people get up and go to work every morning for there hard earned dollar and when they travel somewhere they expect to be treated decent. BTW the reason the NSAA did away with cheerleaders is that they are a dying breed in the small C and D schools, Sargent hasn't had cheerleaders for 7 years.
Rookie
I never have taken 50 minutes to make from my home in West Omaha to downtown. There are to many ways to get downtown. Maybe taking the interstate isn't the fastest way but I can promise you that if you plan it out, that you can make it there in less than 30 minutes.
On the context people don't treat you better in Omaha, sorry but I could say the exact same for Lincoln, or for any other major city. Its the level of comfort that you have in the city and if you come in with the attitude you don't want it there that you will find the minor negatives and make them bigger. Go to a major city and tell me if the treatment you receive is remotely close to that you would receive in Omaha, my guess is you would be happy.

Hotels-I understand your plight, but I tell you, if you go out further west you will find many cheap hotels that will suit you the same. You can plan it out where you are fine or you can pay the price. The reason that the hotels of Omaha don't throw out the welcome mat is because they have a demand for the rooms every night unlike those of Lincoln. Its staying in Omaha for quite sometime, you can support wrestling or just sit around mumbling about the "good" old days.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
quote:
Originally posted by Diehard:
I never have taken 50 minutes to make from my home in West Omaha to downtown. There are to many ways to get downtown. Maybe taking the interstate isn't the fastest way but I can promise you that if you plan it out, that you can make it there in less than 30 minutes.
On the context people don't treat you better in Omaha, sorry but I could say the exact same for Lincoln, or for any other major city. Its the level of comfort that you have in the city and if you come in with the attitude you don't want it there that you will find the minor negatives and make them bigger. Go to a major city and tell me if the treatment you receive is remotely close to that you would receive in Omaha, my guess is you would be happy.

Hotels-I understand your plight, but I tell you, if you go out further west you will find many cheap hotels that will suit you the same. You can plan it out where you are fine or you can pay the price. The reason that the hotels of Omaha don't throw out the welcome mat is because they have a demand for the rooms every night unlike those of Lincoln. Its staying in Omaha for quite sometime, you can support wrestling or just sit around mumbling about the "good" old days.

So Diehard you are happy with it Omaha, congrats. Congrats on accepting mediocrity because that is what the tournament in Omaha is. Let's all clap our hands for 9500 people being at the finals and about 10,500 at the semi's when Devaney sold out the semi's and the finals were 95% capacity. There is a problem people and you don't want to admit it.
Rookie
Much rather have a mediocre tournament than see some poor kid get injured so you can have your tradition. Its not going to back to the Devaney, so we can put that argument away. You can learn to adjust to Omaha, I am sure that when it first went to the Bob there were many people unhappy with Lincoln. If you voice your support loud enough maybe it can change.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
quote:
Originally posted by Diehard:
Much rather have a mediocre tournament than see some poor kid get injured so you can have your tradition. Its not going to back to the Devaney, so we can put that argument away. You can learn to adjust to Omaha, I am sure that when it first went to the Bob there were many people unhappy with Lincoln. If you voice your support loud enough maybe it can change.

So no more high school tournamentx because the majority have scorers tables to close or mats overlapping. Weak argument, BTW when I wrestled the state used Resilite mats at Devaney and guess what they didn't overlap. I only hope my son gets to wrestle at the Devaney Center in a few years so he can know what tradition and a capacity crowd is.
Junior High
It's not moving, deal with it. Nobody cares if you don't show up.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
quote:
Originally posted by kman:
It's not moving, deal with it. Nobody cares if you don't show up.

I agree it isn't moving, but you accept mediocrity which the tournament has become. 9500 people at the semi's what a joke! Congrats Omaha you have done well.
Rookie
Picture of RJS
I would just like to see all schools share time in the nose bleed other wise lets just fill all the seats up in the lower bowl.
Rookie
Badger

If the NSAA is as powerfull as you want us to think. I am sure they will fix the seat fixing problem and let the Omaha fans set in the nose bleed section with the rest of out state Nebraska.
Junior Varsity
Picture of Radio Man
On the hotel issue...I highly suggest you look into staying at Council Bluffs next year. We got rooms at Motel 6(with indoor pool) for only $55/night and it was at the Lake Manowa exit on I-29/I80...and it took about 5 minutes each day to get to the Qwest with no delays. Book motels way in advance too....you usually get them cheaper that way and you can always cancel.

The only problem staying in Iowa is that they still don't seem to carry Dorthy Lynch salad dressing anywhere that I've notcied yet. Big Grin
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
quote:
Originally posted by RJS:
I would just like to see all schools share time in the nose bleed other wise lets just fill all the seats up in the lower bowl.

That is way to simple Mr. Long and Omaha would boo your decision because that isn't what they envisioned.
Rookie
Picture of Mark Martin
First off let me say I agree the atmosphere in the Devaney was much better my son brothers all wrestled at the Devaney, this year was my sons first year at state and he said he was in awe in the Quest for his first match and he enjoyed just being there, (he only won one match) isn't that what the tournament is all about the kids not if i can get a good burger or if it takes me 10 min or 30 min to get there or how much your hotel costs I for one would not miss my son at state no matter where it was held.

Mark
Rookie
I've read on this board more than once that those in favor of not moving it back to Lincoln (hypothetically Devaney) say they would rather stay in Omaha than watch some kid get hurt. I must have missed it but when did someone get hurt at Devaney? Not being sarcastic, I just don't recall any injuries....
Rookie
Picture of Mark Martin
I don't recall any injuries either but i do recall countless times kids thrown into the tables and chairs now if any was injured i can not say but why wait until they are? let me add the view at the Devaney was terrible I was taping one of my stepsons matches and his match went under the overhang I could not tell what was even happening let alone tape it.

Mark
Junior High
Picture of Red Sox
The main thread is about attendance. The attendance at Qwest wasn't the greatest this year, at least that's what it seemed. What are the reasons for that? Does anyone have any specific reasons as to why the attendance was down? Are the attendance figures much different then Devaney? Devaney was a smaller venue than Qwest, maybe that leads into some of this....

Chad Mattox
Rookie
I stayed in travel lodge and it was $62 for two queen beds,and they had high speed, continental breakfast (waffles, cereal, muffins etc.) The people who worked there were very nice and even helped us look on the internet for a buisness. Rooms were clean and it wasn't too far out of the way.