Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    QWEST attendance
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
QWEST attendance Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I agree that prices at the Qwest Center are too high. $9.00 to park for a day pass!! For what I paid for food (which I didn't get much) I could have purchased a steak dinner for 2 at a local steak house.

I was surpised at the cost for wrestling districts! Much higher than any other sport. I was told the prices had to be higher to pay for the Qwest Center. $8.00 for adults seems a little too high considering it's cheaper to get a ticket for most of the state tournament.

Regarding the search and security- I don't believe they were looking for weapons - they were looking for water, etc...

I wish the tournament would return to Bob Devaney. The atmosphere just isnt't the same at the Qwest. The acoustics during the Parade of Champions is so bad you can hardly understand what is being said.

Anyway, Congrats to the wrestlers on a great year.

It is about shaking hands!!!!
World Champion
Picture of NWI
quote:
Originally posted by okiest.cowboys58:
The reason that the stands are empty is that the MECCA Crew is telling fans that they have to leave! They are in such a hurry to clear that facility that they couldn't give a rip about you, your son, your family, how many years of hard work it took to get there or any thing else . . ."folks you gotta leave NOW".

Quite honestly, I find this one hard to believe. At the end of the tournament when there's nothing more going on, I can see that. But to use that as an excuse for the lower attendance is something of a stretch.

The bottom line is that, until a facility is built that can provide the space needed to hold the tournament in the format the NSAA is comfortable with, the Qwest Center is going to be the place this tournament will be held for the near future.

Going back to Devaney is not going to happen, unless of course the NSAA wants to open themselves up to potential lawsuits. The sooner we can come to understand this, the better we all will be.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again...if somebody builds a facility that can provide the space available now at Qwest, whether it's in Lincoln, Kearney, Alliance or on one of Ted Turner's ranches somewhere between Mullen and Hyannis, not only will I support such a move, but I will help drive the U-Haul to move it there.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
Picture of lorilwayne
I feel Omaha is gradually adjusting to us. The first year they thought of us as a "Small event." Shoot they not only had state wrestling on Saturday, the annual volleyball tournament but also a Creighton basketball game that evening. Since that first year the basketball game doesn't happen. The first year they didn't allow us to leave Quest- since then they allow us to re-enter. We don't have to freeze as long waiting outside just to get in the door. Now we just freeze walking from our cars to the doors. Isn't that worth something? I wish Devanney and Lincoln had something that could handle our crowd but that hasn't happened.

MECA isn't just nasty with us. I don't know if you have been following the Rosenblatt/downtown baseball arena situation but they are refusing to give up their parking lots for the building of the arena. It isn't just us they don't cooperate with its the city of Omaha. In a news report that dealt with this fact they said that Omaha already has one of the highest lodging taxes in the nation. Which explains some of the motel price differances between Lincoln and Omaha.

The truth is they are in it to make money. When minimum wage went up, the cost of gas increased etc the prices invariably were going to have to increase. This is a reflection that we have seen this year not only at state and districts but have you noticed that concession prices at the local tournaments have had to increase? Unfortunately the average persons income hasn't reflected this yet.

Why is attendance at Quest down? Folks- its plain and simple. Our economy is headed into recession and everything is a direct reflection of that fact. The average joes are the people who are feeling it first. Who makes up the majority of the population in Nebraska? Average joes - a group that I'm proud to be a member of. I appologize for bringing politics and finances into the wrestling discussion but the bottom line is if the money isn't there to spend people don't spend it. To think that attendance is down solely because state is at Quest is denying the facts. It will be interesting to see if attendance at State Basketball is down. Does anyone know the facts about Volleyball and Football? None of these events moved and I know last year there was a drastic drop in attendance- did we see that trend continue? Truth is- Denial isn't just a river in Egypt- it runs through Nebraska too.
Junior High
Be careful about moving to a new facility in Lincoln. I heard that its going to be named the "Callahan/Cosgrove Memorial Pavilion." However, in an astute political move, its going to have stained glass windows depicting Osborne touching the finger of Bo Pelini and giving him life.
Rookie
Picture of harw
quote:
Originally posted by dswitz:
Be careful about moving to a new facility in Lincoln. I heard that its going to be named the "Callahan/Cosgrove Memorial Pavilion." However, in an astute political move, its going to have stained glass windows depicting Osborne touching the finger of Bo Pelini and giving him life.

Funny This made my week! Funny
Junior Varsity
Picture of rmh
lorilwayne makes a good point in regards to the economy. It seems to me that attendance has been down everywhere, not just at state. Meets that I used to get to early because I knew I wouldn't have a seat otherwise have plenty of vacant seats. When the price of gas is $3.00/gallon, and you are putting in the miles that wrestling families do to follow their sons, it creates financial hardship for some families. As a fan who doesn't have a son wrestling, it has definitely made me prioritize what meets I go to. As for the prices in Qwest, do what I did, boycott the concessions. Eat well before you go or when your session is over. I am one of the lucky ones who has family in Omaha to stay with so I don't have the motel expense. As much as I love our sport, I would not be able to attend state if I had to pay for a motel room.
There are things I wish were different at the Qwest, but remember when we were at Devaney and everyone spent the two weeks after state complaining about parking in the mud, standing outside in the frigid cold so you would be assured a seat because we just didn't trust that our reserve seats would be honored if Devaney hit capacity with the GA tickets. I haven't sat in the "nosebleed" sections at Qwest, but I did at Devaney more than once at a reserved seat price, and it left a lot to be desired also.
No matter where we have our state tournament, someone will always be unhappy for one reason or another. For now we are at the Qwest, accept it and move on.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
quote:
No matter where we have our state tournament, someone will always be unhappy for one reason or another. For now we are at the Qwest, accept it and move on.

A wise old reporter once told me -- some people just aren't happy unless they're letting everyone know how unhappy they are.

I think we could have the tournament in a 20,000-seat facility in the middle of the state with cheap hotels, free parking, dollar concessions, spacious seats, friendly security, perfect vision and free gas vouchers for everybody traveling more than five miles, and somebody would still find something to complain about.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
that is because misory loves company!

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
actually RMH can go to all tournaments, I hear there RMH relatives in every tournament town! So there will be no more BS on that subject Big Grin Big Grin Eek

NWI guy, the cup holder is too big for my $5.00 bottle of water, what should I do Big Grin Actually my vote is to move it to Valentine and run it as many days as it takes on the 3 mats; I'll be in charge of ticket allocation of course Big Grin

Junior Varsity
Picture of Radio Man
I kind of hate to bring this up, but one contributing factor could actually be the increased media coverage. The reason why I say I hate to bring it up is becasue we've been wanting increased coverage for years, and we're gradually getting it. On the other hand, that could lead to a decline in actual attendance. To what extent, I can't say. What I can tell you is that when I first did play-by-play state wrestling back in 1982 from the Bob, I was the ONLY one there doing it. That is, unless someone else was doing it that I didn't see doing it. There were some people phoning in results from the press room down below, but I'm pretty sure I was by myself(with others from my station-KCSR Chadron). Of course that has been on the rise little by little each year. This year, the media room down below looked about full, and the broadcast media space upstairs appeared about full, and we know all 200 media parking passes alloted were being used. So, with all that increased media coverage(which is a good thing), it may have and adverse effect on attendance. When you can get results live with play-by-play on the radio or internet, or live results via the same, and pictures posted on the internet right after the matches conclude....I'm sure more and more people are staying home, especially taking into consideration the high cost of travel(especially from the panhandle), motel rooms, food, and not being able to afford taking the time off from work to go, plus there might not be as many students able to go compared to before. Again, the greater media coverage is a good thing and something we want more of all the time, but here is where we may be seeing a repercussion of that. Just my thoughts.
Rookie
Picture of NU.wrestling08
NWI read 189mom post where she said-

"it's so disappointing to see the arena empty when the team trophies were handed out".

That's what I was referring to!
Rookie
The Qwest doesn't jack up prices merely for wrestling. I've gone to numerous events there the price for the food is the same everytime. It still costs $6 to park even if you go to a Creighton basketball game, at least recently they are giving discounts to food on the parking pass. The places around there to eat are always busy before events. So to say this happens only to wrestling is not valid in my opinion.

It seems to me that the area by the Qwest will continue to grow (food, lodging etc)

If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt you very much and winning is not very excitingy-dick vermell
Rookie
pt2b your right the Qwest has jacked up prices for all events. They say the Qwest has alot to do with the Maverick hockey teams struggles. Prior to the Qwest Mavrick hockey had the longest sellout string in college hockey. Since the Qwest the sellout string is gone and so are many of the fans. I believe it is to the point hockey is becoming a burden to UNO athletic budget.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
quote:
Originally posted by gowrfan:
I agree that prices at the Qwest Center are too high. $9.00 to park for a day pass!! For what I paid for food (which I didn't get much) I could have purchased a steak dinner for 2 at a local steak house.

I was surpised at the cost for wrestling districts! Much higher than any other sport. I was told the prices had to be higher to pay for the Qwest Center. $8.00 for adults seems a little too high considering it's cheaper to get a ticket for most of the state tournament.

Regarding the search and security- I don't believe they were looking for weapons - they were looking for water, etc...

I wish the tournament would return to Bob Devaney. The atmosphere just isnt't the same at the Qwest. The acoustics during the Parade of Champions is so bad you can hardly understand what is being said.

Anyway, Congrats to the wrestlers on a great year.

It is about shaking hands!!!!

You can find free parking near the Qwest if you look for it and willing to walk a couple of blocks. Well planned out meals before or after and you do not have to pay for food at the Qwest.

The information you received about District prices are wrong. It is not the Qwest’s fault for higher District admission prices. Next they will tell you $3.00 gas is the Qwest’s fault and people will believe it. Adult session prices at Districts are $5.00, the same as all other sports. Saturday at Districts is considered two sessions and always has been even during the Devaney days. The $8.00 is for an all day pass (two sessions). If you come just for the District finals you only pay $5.00. Not saying I agree with it.

Regarding the search and security – believe what you want, but anywhere you go now for a big event they check bags. You can’t get into a Husker football game without them checking your bags.

Yes, the atmosphere is not the same at the Qwest. Not sure whose fault that is, the NSAA or Qwest, I think both could do better. At least kids are not slammed into walls and the circles are so close early whistles are not costing kids matches….wait… an early whistle cost us a team point in the semis….well at least not as often.

Yes, the cost is higher and the atmosphere was better at the Devaney, but the Qwest is the best place for the wrestlers in this type of event.

Bulldog, sorry I did not get back to your question about declining attendance, however, it was answered by many others by the time I got on here. Omahans rude and not embracing the rest of the state; I have to disagree. I know both sides of the fence on this issue; I grew up on a farm far from Omaha and lived in the Omaha area for nearly half my life. From my experience the people of Omaha are no more rude than anywhere in the state. The people of Omaha embrace the rest of the state far more than the rest of the state embraces Omaha. I am sorry to hear that you had some bad experiences, but I am basing my opinions on nearly 20 years of day to day experiences and knowing people from both Omaha and outside of Omaha.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
quote:
Originally posted by C-Bus HWT:
pt2b your right the Qwest has jacked up prices for all events. They say the Qwest has alot to do with the Maverick hockey teams struggles. Prior to the Qwest Mavrick hockey had the longest sellout string in college hockey. Since the Qwest the sellout string is gone and so are many of the fans. I believe it is to the point hockey is becoming a burden to UNO athletic budget.

I never heard a single hockey person complain about prices. The addition of the Knights along with the Lancers still in town had more to do with it than anything. The Lancers had a similar problem of declining attendance and they never moved to the Qwest. The burden is the Qwest costs more than the Civic Center. Newer and much larger, it makes sense that it costs more.
Junior High
Posted by Badger: Bulldog, sorry I did not get back to your question about declining attendance, however, it was answered by many others by the time I got on here.

Badger, How are you? It's always great to read your posts!
So which posters answered the question. IE which ones do you agree with?
I'm not being snide, just want to know what you are thinking.
Why do you think attendance is down?
Rookie
I have been reading this site for two years and finally decided it was time for me to post something. I have to say everyone I was with at the state meet noticed attendance was down. The prices are too high, I don't care if it is Omaha. We all snuck little snacks past the "guards" even though we were searched. Hotel prices are terrible and nobody is welcomed with open arms. these people are supposed to be in the service industry and treat customers well. they don't need to jack up the prices simply because they know there is little choice but to pay them. Also, as for eating before and after each session, we attempted to do just that, however, our friday night session was out after 9pm and all the restaurants closed at 10pm. what kind of places close at 10pm on a friday night especially in Omaha and during state tournaments? We finally did find a place to eat in Council Bluffs. I have only been at the state tournament for the past 3 years so I have no alliance to the Devaney and don't care too much where it is held but I do think Omaha needs to get it together and show the rest of the state some hospitality.
Junior High
Okay, I'll do my part to hospitable. The following is my official greeting: " Hey ya'll-welcome to Omaha. Come over to the front porch and we'll jaw and whittle a spell. And don't worry- we'll get the death penalty by firing squad back real soon."

Every body feel better now?
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by dswitz:
Okay, I'll do my part to hospitable. The following is my official greeting: " Hey ya'll-welcome to Omaha. Come over to the front porch and we'll jaw and whittle a spell. And don't worry- we'll get the death penalty by firing squad back real soon."

Every body feel better now?

Wow you're hilarious. You should do stand up some time.
Rookie
Couple points.

I would never wish it back to Devaney for many reasons but the main two are;

1.Parking sucked, freeze your butt off or walk in mud.

2. Our parents use to have to stand in line for two hours to get the lower seats. And if they did not prepurchase tickets and your son made it to the semi's there was no quarantee you were getting in.

As far as security goes, the first day we walked in with no purse check, as we all know the university in Dekalb, IL. (I like that name)was forever put in history that because of an armed, deranged person walked in and opened fire, so the second day they were back to purse checks. So really "complain about security" just find a better place to hide your waters, granola bars and go enjoy some great wrestling.