Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    QWEST attendance
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
QWEST attendance Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I think I am starting to understand. World class facility well run tournement and no one comes to watch. It's not just one thing but the package dosn't work for everyone. If you live in Omaha and can stay at home how could you have a better tournement. If you live out state and have to deal with the motels and driving in the big city you are frustrated. Lets not hide our heads in the sand and say there is not a problem. Some of the solutions I find insulting. Do a better job of smulging in water and snacks. Or move down into sone one elses assinged seats. To me you are saying your just not good at stealing and cheating. I was taught to steal and cheat is wrong I won't go there. If the ticket draw if stacked and I don't have the same chance at the seats as Millard South and Skutt have I want to know and I will not return. It is intimidating for out state Nebraskan to drive in Omaha. To go see world class entertainment people will fight the crowd. This is the state wrestling championship. Not world class entertainment. This crowd needs to be coddled or they may not come back. I am worried we have all ready run off many it will be hard to get them back. Nebraska only has 1,500,000 people most are not wrestling fans. In this case a sucker is not born every day. Lets work together to make this the best championship possible.
Rookie
Attendance is the main topic of this thread. Many have expressed their thoughts, expertise, & feelings. All have legitimate points, at least from their point of view. I am only offering a possible factor in the demise in attendance.

During the state tournament I had a conversation about this very topic with one of my former wrestlers who is now a senior at UNL. He remarked that he was the only one from his graduating class or any class close to his that was at the tournament. He also stated that “back in his day” there would be at least 30 fans from our town that were in that age group. (I later saw one other wrestling alumni from his class.) Part of the lack of that demographic attending from our school could be attributed to our team not being as competitive as we were. I believe that the main factor is convenience. Most schools have many alumni attending UNL. A substantial number of them would go to Devaney because it was convenient and it was “the thing to do”. They did not have to get motel rooms or make any special accommodations to their daily routines. In addition many high school kids would go to Lincoln and stay with their friends that were UNL students for free. Again, no motel room necessary, less $$ out of pocket. For attendance from our school I would say that this effects in somewhere in the range of 30-50 people not attending since it has moved to the Qwest. Repeat this scenario to some degree for all the schools at the State Wrestling Tournament and that is quite a chunk of people.

Is the Qwest a better facility than the “Bob”? Hands down yes. Ticket sales are down around 30% from when the tournament was in Lincoln. Will “money talk” and the NSAA move it back to Lincoln? That remains to be seen. Is it better to have to turn away 1000 or so fans in a 14,500 seat arena or to have empty seats and around 4000 fewer fans in a larger, better facility? Depends on your point of view.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dbonge,
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by C-Bus HWT:
I think I am starting to understand. World class facility well run tournement and no one comes to watch. It's not just one thing but the package dosn't work for everyone. If you live in Omaha and can stay at home how could you have a better tournement. If you live out state and have to deal with the motels and driving in the big city you are frustrated. Lets not hide our heads in the sand and say there is not a problem. Some of the solutions I find insulting. Do a better job of smulging in water and snacks. Or move down into sone one elses assinged seats. To me you are saying your just not good at stealing and cheating. I was taught to steal and cheat is wrong I won't go there. If the ticket draw if stacked and I don't have the same chance at the seats as Millard South and Skutt have I want to know and I will not return. It is intimidating for out state Nebraskan to drive in Omaha. To go see world class entertainment people will fight the crowd. This is the state wrestling championship. Not world class entertainment. This crowd needs to be coddled or they may not come back. I am worried we have all ready run off many it will be hard to get them back. Nebraska only has 1,500,000 people most are not wrestling fans. In this case a sucker is not born every day. Lets work together to make this the best championship possible.

I would like to address 3 of your points, but first want to congratulate you on a great closing sentence in your post. "Let's work together to make this the best championship possible". That should be the goal for all of us. My concern is the large number of Qwest haters that insist on picking at every little thing that may have gone wrong. If they continue to spread the word that the Qwest Center is a terrible place to hold the state tournament they can influence some people to stay away.

Now let's address your other points. You said it was wrong to steal and cheat, which is what you would be doing if you moved into someone else's assigned seat. If the person who bought the ticket didn't come to the tournament I can't see that you are cheating anyone. I live in Omaha but root for Gretna. So I asked Joe, the head ticket buyer at Gretna to order tickets for me because I like to sit with the green people. On Thursday and Friday morning our tickets were just above Mat 8. On several occasions we had a wrestler on Mat 4, diagonally across the arena from where we were sitting. It was difficult to see the clock and scoreboard so several of us ran around to the seats on the end of the arena above Mat 4. There were several open seats scattered around among some Bennington Badgers fans. Those fine blue people moved over and even moved back a few rows so the green fans coud get down to matside. When the match was over we went back to our seats. We did the same thing several times. If the blue people felt cheated or stolen from they didn't show any sign of it.

You made the comment that outstate people are intimidated by Omaha traffic. It can be intimidating but we have to realize that any city large enough to build an arena that can host the tournament is going to have a lot of traffic. I think that if you pick a concentrated area, such as a city block, there won't be any more cars in that block at a specific time than there would be in a city block in Lincoln. The difference is that Omaha has more people and spreads out farther than Lincoln. Does it really matter if you drive in heavy traffic for 5 miles in Lincoln or 7 miles in Omaha?

You have what may be a legitimate concern about seating. I seriously doubt that anyone at Qwest, NSAA, CIA, or any other organization conspired to reserve choice blocks of seats for Skutt and Millard South fans. I think those fans were probably first in line on opening day of ticket sales so they could select their blocks of seats. But this is the kind of thing that I addressed in my long post a few notches up this thread. I would like to see the coaches organize and meet with NSAA and the Board of Control to discuss issues like this. Perhaps NSAA has never looked into different ways of allocating tickets because it never occurred to them that it was a problem.

Until we solve all of these problems let's focus on your closing sentence, "Let's work together to make this the best championship possible."
Rookie
I don't know how you think Skutt's seats were great? They were up in the "nosebleeds". The seats that some people sat in right in front of the Class B are not for sale. If you remember last year there were tarps over them.
Rookie
Picture of NU.wrestling08
I like to follow some of the kids we wrestle from KS. Their State Tourney has 4 classes & compete at different locations: 6A-Wichita, 5A-Hutchinson, 4A-Salina & 321A-Hays.

Frank, Coach Bonge might have a point about the costs associated with staying in Lincoln but what about the Omaha area folks? Are they coming out or are they staying home? With the population base you would think that they would fill the place up.
Saturday Grampa & Grandma came down to watch the Finals. Got there 2.5 hrs before they started & had to park several blocks away. They are elderly folks with health problems & even though they have a handicap license, there was no where to park close. There were dozens of open stalls in the garage but they were "reserved". A lot of the fans that come to watch are immediate family, alot of grammas & grampas & the move from Devaney was supposed to make it easier & more convienient not less so.

Frank, in that vein maybe the idea of a Board of Control meeting with the Coaches Association & Qwest would help. Many of Bulldog's comments hit home with those of us with elderly fans. They come to watch their Grand kids not to get a "stingin" as I've heard it put.
Rookie
I had a great motel to stay for state wrestling close to qwest. No frills just clean and I felt safe. I came down to state by myself. I didn't feel like I could chaperone my elderly parents and navigate Omaha all at once. I think the biggest hangup is the traffic. And I didn't have any problems. I left early and only had a mile of traffic.
Qwest personel was nice. I didn't buy any concessions they were too high.
I would love to see state wrestling at Kearney.... I can't exactly say what is wrong, but there is something......Maybe next year will be better.
Junior Varsity
Picture of ndb65
I am not interested in arguing about Omaha, the qwest center or anything else to do with the State Wrestling Tournament. I stated earlier that we recieved some fairly bad service at more that one restaurant we went too. After sitting down and thinking about it and discussing it with others, I just feel that the restaurants we chose were not prepared for big crowds of people and that is the reason they may have been short with us. I dont mind the tourney being in omaha. traffic was not a problem for us, and we only had one small issue with our hotel. That issue was loud music, but we didnt complain about it and i havent "whined" about it. It was a little expected because there is a bar/nightclub attached to the hotel. Other than that, our hotel was fine. The reason we stay there is because it is fairly cheap and within reasonable distance to the qwest. It also has a pool,hottubs, workout room,etc.

I said before and i will say it again, I understand that the tourney will probably stay in Omaha for a long period of time. I just wish the city would open its arms and welcome the fans like Lincoln did.I know some of you will tell us to go somewhere else if we dont like the service, but that is not the point. Omaha and Lincoln have different "feels" to them and I understand that.

I am not scared of Omaha, I actually have spent alot of time there over the years, I just think the city could do more. Im not going to boycott omaha or the tourney and never have said I would, I am a "permanent" fan and I always will be!!!

As far as the attendance issue goes, I have no explanation other than what has already been shared on here. I do agree that the UNL students and high school students that stayed with friends in Lincoln are a big missing part.

I have no complaints about seating, because I am lucky enough to have a pass that allows me to sit down low when needed and I didnt have to go through checks so I have nothing to say about that either.

I hope noone takes what I have said as an insult to Omaha, it is not meant to be!! I just truly hope that people can come to a mid point and start talking about reasonable solutions to the true issue and that is attendance!!

Guaranteed LOUDEST guy in the gym!!!!
Junior Varsity
Picture of rmh
OK, enough on the seating. The tickets are assigned by lottery. When a school buys a block of seats, I would imagine they are going to get placed according to where they can all be together. I ordered tickets for our school, a whopping 24 tickets packages. Our seats were spread over three rows. I wish more schools would have the following of Skutt and Kearney. It looks cool to look in the stands and see them together in their matching shirts. I can't even get parents to order tickets unless they are "sure" their wrestler has a shot of making it to state let alone convince them we should dress alike for 3 days.
Junior High
Why don't we complete what has already begun: Split the tournament. Class A in Omaha, Classes B,C, and D in Kearney: Urban in urban and rural in rural. If attendance by the rural community is truly driven by location and culture, Kearney will provide an apprpriate forum and B,C,D attendance will increase. Omaha metro. attendance will remain consistent.

And don't tell me about how divisive that would be. Judging by content of this thread, the division is complete.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog:
However I would think you could find a bus driver in Bennington.

I have driven grain trucks back on the farm so driving a school bus is easy. Plus they pay me extra to drive the bus, and I never have to worry about the driver being late.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Ryan:
There were several open seats scattered around among some Bennington Badgers fans. Those fine blue people moved over and even moved back a few rows so the green fans coud get down to matside. When the match was over we went back to our seats. We did the same thing several times. If the blue people felt cheated or stolen from they didn't show any sign of it.

The Blue people were more than happy to accommodate you.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
Just for you Shannon. I would say declining attendance is the result of the following (in order):

1. Lack of interesting team races. The exception is class C. The class C crowd seemed to be very good. Fort Calhoun always has great support; David City, Madison, and Sargent/Burwell all seemed to have good crowds. Our crowd was the best ever and four times what we had several years ago. The past four years we have brought home three trophies and one third place finish. Exciting team races bring in better crowds.

2. Economy - $3.00 plus gas prices, possible recession, etc.

3. Prices – lamest excuse in my opinion. Plenty examples of reasonable hotel costs on this site, free parking if you are willing to walk a couple of blocks (I walk further for free at Husker football games), proper planning on meals you can get away with not eating at the Qwest. If you are cheap like me you can get away with paying very little at the Qwest.

4. Not familiar/fear of Omaha. Too many people come to the state tournament with a negative image of Omaha and sometimes that is a self fulfilling prophecy. If you come into it with a negative attitude the bad things will shine over all the good things. How often do you hear bad things from people going to the state track meet? Track people are familiar with the area because they have been coming to Omaha for years and their attitude is that they are happy to be there.

5. Media and internet coverage has exploded. You can now sit at home or work, get almost immediate results, and listen live. In the past you had to wait until the next day to get the newspaper for results.

Just one man's opinion, don't get upset or take any offense to what I said.
Junior Varsity
Picture of Radio Man
Badger....all 5 reasons are certainly viable...I especially agree with #5 as I brought that subject up in an earlier post...I'm just wondering if it may be higher on the list, especially since you can tie that in with the other 4...The reason I say that is by taking the increased media coverage into consideration, one could avoid all the other "problems" by staying home and not missing any work...it's the financial no-brainer, but it's sad because you would like the biggest turnout for the kid's sake and the sport's sake. Perhaps all of us(including myself...heck, I've been personally crusading for this the past 25 years) bucking for the increased state media coverage has created a monster?

quote:
I think the attendance at the state tournament should be a concern for all true wrestling fans. This thread has brought out many theories as to why attendance is down. Those theories fall into 2 categories, fluff and meat. Some people use fluff theories to advance their cause when they hate someone or something. The George Bush haters are convinced that AlQueda would never have attacked on 9/11 if Bush had not been in office and that Bush is responsible for the New Orleans floods. On the other side of that coin the Bill Clinton haters know that he caused the tsunami in Indo China and that the rise in the price of haircuts is directly tied to him.

The Qwest haters, many of whom started their tirade against Qwest as soon as it was selected, before they had been in the building, are offering some fine fluff.

PRICES OF FOOD ARE TOO HIGH. No one will disagree. It is highway robbery to ask $5.00 for a hot dog. That same hot dog is probably $4.75 at a Husker football game. Are people going to stay away from the state tournament for a quarter? Check concession prices at any Major League baseball or NFL venue.

THE PRICE OF TICKETS IS TOO HIGH BECAUSE OF TICKET MASTER AND THE SEAT TAX. The Ticket Master situation will be addressed in my final point. The Qwest Center was not built with donated materials and voluntary labor. It costs a huge amount of money to build and to operate a facility that can attract national championships in volleyball and wrestling, the Olympic swim trials, regional basketball tournaments and a multitude of concerts and other cultural events. The seat tax helps pay for some of those costs. Before you write a post saying that you don't go to any of those events, think about whether you might be one of these people: "I don't read books so none of my tax money should go to support the libraries or schools". Or, "I never fly so we can eliminate all of the airports".

OUR SEATS ARE ALWAYS UP IN THE NOSE BLEED SECTION. It's interesting that some of the same posters who complain about being so high up are also complaining about the smaller attendance. Why didn't they move down to lower seats that had to be open if the house wasn't full? More about this later.

OMAHA PEOPLE DON'T TREAT US WELL. The haters are trying to turn this into a Qwest Vs Devanney, Omaha vs Lincoln, city vs small town, or panhandle vs Eastern Nebraska forum. It's none of these, it's an attitude problem. As one of your wrestlers is going out on the mat try telling him, "You'll get pinned". He probably won't let you down. I grew up on a farm, attended high school in a town of 2,000, lived in a town of 500 people, lived in towns of 10,000 to 50,000 and now live in Omaha. In every one of those towns about 2-3% of the population were jerks and the other 97-98% were great people. Our son's first job after college was teaching and coaching 8 man football at Wheeler Central in Bartlett. My wife and I attended nearly all of their games. We often stayed over on Friday night and then took a different route home each Saturday. We went church hopping. There are some beautiful churches in many of the small towns, or free standing in the country. We really enjoyed going in and looking them over. After the church tour we would head to a local bar and grill for a hamburger and conversation and maybe watch the Huskers on TV. We met a lot of people. About 97-98% were great people, about 2-3% were jerks. If we had walked in with the attitude, "We're from Omaha and I suppose you jerks are going to mistreat us," they probably wouldn't have let us down. We would have walked out of there complaining that they were all a bunch of jerks.

WE CAN'T HANG OUR BANNERS. As I mentioned earlier, it takes a huge amount of money to operate a facility like the Qwest Center. Much of that revenue comes from advertising. Want to hang your banner next year? You can. Pick out the space where you would like to hang it, then go to Qwest and tell them that you want to outbid the current advertiser for that space.

Now, to some of the meaty problems.

THE ECONOMY IS KEEPING A LOT OF PEOPLE HOME. I think that's probably true, but maybe in a way that you hadn't considered before. More about that later.

ATTENDANCE IS DOWN BECAUSE THE NUMBER OF WRESTLERS IS DOWN. I don't mean the number of qualifiers, that will always be 896. GoeckeS gave the theory that each wrestler brings 10 fans to the state tournament. It doesn't matter if 10 is exactly correct. The principle is what is important. If we use that number and you have 35 wrestlers on your team your school will bring 350 people to state. If your team drops to 25 wrestlers your school will bring 250 people to state. Multiply that 100 person decrease by the number of teams in the Nebraska and you have a serious attendance problem. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. In general, state tournament fans fall into 2 categories, temporary and permanent. The temporary fans are those who follow wrestling while their kids, friends of the family, cousins, etc. are wrestling. When those kids graduate most of them stop being fans. The permanent fans are those Genuine, Grade A, Black Belt, bleacher butts who get hooked on the sport and continue to be fans whether they have family or friends wrestling or not. Here is the hiden part of the equation. I didn't have a chance to call GockeS to give me a statistic so I'll make up my own. (72.9% of all statistics are made up on the spot, including this one.) Let's assume that 10% of all temporary fans get bitten in the neck by the wrestling werewolves and become permanent fans. If your school has 350 temporary fans it's going to create 35 permanent fans. If team size drops to 25 you will create 25 permanent fans. Multiply that 10 fan reduction times all of the schools in Nebraska AND THEN MULTIPLY IT BY 5, 10, 15, 20 YEARS. I don't have any proof that participation is down but it seems that way to me. It seems that every year I see more and more open weights. Coaches, does NSAA put out lists of wrestlers who have certified their weights? And, if so, are any of you packrats enough to keep them from year to year. Or, post on here the approximate size of your school and number of wrestlers and then the the same info for ___ years ago when you started at that school.

In the absence of concrete info please humor me and agree that participation levels are down.

WHY ARE NUMBERS DOWN?

A couple of posts farther up this thread say that the economy is keeping people home from the state tournament. That is probably true but there's more to it that we will feel after the economy turns around. Suppose that a family has a freshman who had a very mediocre junior high career. They may discourage him from going out for wrestling this year because the money for wrestling shoes, workout gear, and travel for practices and meets could be spent elsewhere. When that kid didn't come out for wrestling that took away 10 temporary fans, one of whom would have become a permanent fan.

Maybe some kids who have been in high intensity wrestling programs since kindergarten are just tired of the sport. I have no doubt that those programs have produced some great champions. But I wonder if they have also run off some late bloomers who may have been high school champions. I'm not bilingual so I can't spell or pronounce his name but everyone will know who I'm talking about when I say the heavyweight from UNK. He is probably the best college heavyweight in the country, regardless of division. He started wrestling either as a sophomore or junior in high school. I watched Aaron Denson wrestle in the state tournament and pole vault in the state track meet. He was also a fine football player for Millard South. I think they qualified for the playoffs, but am not sure. If he had picked one sport and worked on it year round he probably would have been better in that sport than he was when was in three sports. But he would have missed the great experience in the other two sports. And, on the other hand he may have got burned out, walked away, and missed the great experiences in all if the sports.

SO WHAT'S THE SOLUTION? I don't think there is a quick fix but the best place to get a start would be for all of us to accentuate the positive. I read in an earlier post that the accoustics were so bad that the poster couldn't hear anything during the Parade of Champions. I'm nearly deaf so I'm not qualified to judge the accoustics. Many of the top musicians and singers, who can basically name their price and venue, have performed at Qwest, or are booked to appear in the future. It seems strange that they would risk their reputation by playing in a venue with bad accoustics. If everybody picks out a couple of piddly diddly things they don't like and go bad to their communities and complain about them that will hurt attendance. If you go back and tell people that it's a great venue where mats are laid out without curling up on the walls, and you can see the entire mat even if it's on the same side of the floor that you are on, then attendance will go up.

WHO NEEDS TO IMPROVE? There are lots of groups that need to improve. Qwest needs to train their employees in the arts of public relations and customer satisfaction. This is true of every business in the country. Personally, I have never had a problem with a Qwest employee. But then I never went there expecting to have problems.
I have never able to get a handle on the structure of Nebraska High School wrestling. I don't know who calls the shots and how they decide. I know that the Board of Control is involved. I don't know where they get their information for decision making but I assume it's given to them by the NSAA. It doesn't appear to me that NSAA bends over backward to promote or support wrestling. Perhaps I'm being unfair. Maybe they have adopted the duck on the pond philosophy, "Remain calm on the surface and paddle like hell underwater". I don't know where NSAA gets its information for decision making. The fans could help by writing letters to their Board of Control representative, with a carbon copy to NSAA, expressing their concerns about problems that you think need to to be corrected. I don't mean fluff, like, "The handles on the spoons at the Dippy Dots stand are too short". I mean meat, like, Does NSAA need to outsource the sales and allocations of tickets to Ticket Master? Are there alternatives that would be more fair and less costly to the fans?

Now let's jump on one of my favorite groups of people, the coaches. When I have asked many of them how much influence the coaches have in shaping wrestling policies I usually hear that is slim or none. I get the same answer when I ask how much influence the Nebraska State Wrestling Coaches Association can exert. I don't think we should become a clone of another state but I think that if another state is doing something that works well we should look at it to see if we can pick up an idea that would help us. When I coached in Iowa I was a member of the Iowa High School Wrestling Coaches and OFFICIALS Association. I don't know if all coaches and officials belonged but I didn't know of any that didn't belong. At the district tournaments we had a brief meeting to discuss the concerns that we had and try to prioritze them. After the Saturday weigh ins at the state tournament we had a breakfast. I would guess that over 90% of the coaches and 50% of the officials were there. We elected the Coach of the Year, the Assistant Coach of the Year, the Junior High Coach of the Year, and the Official of the Year. Most years we elected the Contributor of the Year. It may have been a team doctor, a timer or scorekeeper who never missed a meet, or a mother who went to the hospital, gave birth to one of her twins, checked out of the hospital to watch the meet, then went back to the hospital to deliver the other twin. (That didn't happen very often.) That night, before the Grand March, we presented the awards. These presentations are shown on the telecast of the state toutnament.

About a month after the state tournament the coaches of the 24 district championship teams (8 districts in each of the 3 classes) met with the Board of Control and IHSAA officials to discuss problems and shape the future of our sport. We never got everything that we wanted, but we always seemed to get a little bit. When I have talked with coaches about this I often hear, "NSAA would never agree to that". Most of us are programmed to say,"No" without having a real reason to say, No". Our kids don't think we mean, "No". They think that "No" just means that we don't understand the question. So they ask it again, in a slightly different way. After about 12 rounds we often think a little deeper and decide, "Maybe there is no reason for us to say, "No". We can learn from our kids.

I'm getting off my soap box now. Give me a minute to get hidden behind it and then let the rotten tomatoes fly.

Post of the year.

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Rookie
One thing I kind of enjoyed while it was down in Lincoln was the ability to watch a Husker dual between Saturday sessions. Don't think that this has anything to do with attendance. But is something that Qwest doesn't have. Anyway we could get UNK/UNO dual during the state weekend? Or at least a UNO dual, UNL Iowa State?

On another note, I agree with RR on Franks post. Frank you always do a good job of articulating your points and trying to keep things to facts, instead of merely "fluff".

If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt you very much and winning is not very excitingy-dick vermell
State Qualifier
Why should Class A have to be the class that ends up in Omaha if it gets split? I say rotate it so all teams suffer equally.
Junior High
Badger, I agree completely.

All of the price things don't really add up to me either. People love to spend money. Just look at the all the money spent tailgaiting in Lincoln at FB games.
I think reason #1 is very big. The others just kind of add up.

I also think that Dale Bonge has a point. The crowd demographic has changed. The college and high school kids who used to fill the place are not there.

Interesting.
Rookie
Took me 4ever 2 read the thread so after all that time here is my 2 cents worth. I agree with several people on why attendance was down but most of all I'd have to agree with Badger and Bonge. It seems when our school is doing good and expected to do good things at state, I see ppl at the state tourney that I've never seen at any other tourney and when were not doing as well we only have our true followers and parents. As for team races, C obviously was the most exciting. Therefore, I believe (my opinion) ppl that knew the schools well or were associated w/them stayed to watch. Other classes were well wrapped up so some ppl went home 2 the big screen 2 watch the final outcome. I know of several ppl (even when it was in Linc.) as soon as every1 was done wrestling if no 1 was n the finals they went home to watch. On this I'm not knocking Skutt or M.S. or any other school that has several kids in the finals(bcuz it is a great accomplishment) but when ur filling 7-8 weight classes out of 14 in the finals with one school when it use 2 b more spread out who was in the finals that takes away from the attendance as well. As 4 all the other complaints lets get the thread out from years ago about all the complaints being in Lincoln. Not everyone is happy no matter where it is at. What WE make of the state tourney is what it will become. I don't c many kids on her complaining and that is what the state tourney is about the KIDS. I guess I'm a parent NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT WOULD COST I will b there and it doesn't matter what I would have 2 go through 2 get there! I'm 1 of those bleacher butt fans who wouldn't miss state 4 anything!!! I guess if funds were low (this not applying 2 all, maybe cut back on those cigarettes or just buy 2 beers at the bar instead of 5,or eat at home instead of going through the drive thru) My son won't even b able 2 have a chance @ state for 4 more years!! Its not a surprise on how much things are going 2 cost anymore so plan ahead. I think the atmosphere is different bcuz it is bigger and were not as closed in and bcuz of it being bigger and yes I know attendance is down but when you look across there are alot of empty seats but there are more seats to fill. N the 1st year they complained about taking all the beach balls etc. this year I didn't see them taking any and I think they have come 2 realize it will stop as soon as wrestling starts.(By the way, whoever was throwing the frisbees was PURE STUPIDITY someone could of got seriously hurt) As for food, my kids knew not to beg the whole time we were there. Yes they had their dippin dots and pretzels and they got 1 treat per session and sometimes they didn't even ask and if you go to the one concession stand they had chicken fingers and fries for $6.50 n that is not much different than going 2 BK but u don't get a pop. I know I spent alot more at Bob's bcuz it was cheaper so I forked it out alot more but times have changed. As for food afterwards, do what we do after the late session and go back 2 ur room and order a pizza! On the travel, never in the 3 years have I had trouble getting 2 the quest or having 2 wait n long traffic lines. I rem. years at Devaney taking 45 min to get down Holdridge then having 2 wait 4 a train going 5mph. Hotels, unfortunately we can't do much about it. Rudeness, that happens everywhere but I can guarantee there are more polite ppl than rude. This is no excuse to the rude ones either but just think of how many times they are getting crabbed at 4 hotel price etc. that they have no control over. After hearing about it time after time trying 2 explain things which they have no control over I think would put us all on edge after a 8 hour day(that was an i.e.)As for complaining about seating, well I can agree somewhat. We hav never had seats in the lower bowl at Quest 4 semi's and finals where at Bob's we always had a few 4 the seniors parents 2 go sit, however its not as all bad as what some make it sound but of course its not my kid down there wrestling that I'm tryin 2 watch either I'm sure if it was I'd b doin more complainin on how the seats are handed out. However, how many of u rem. gettin out 1 session and standin n lines for 4 1/2 hours b4 the next session starts 2 get a good seat? Or being 1 of the first ones in line and by the time u RUN to where u want to sit ppl have coats and blankets spread all across the seats "saving" them 4 ppl who weren't there? How bout the last year at Bob's when a mom had posted her son made it 2 state but wasn't able 2 get any tickets? We don't see the problems here. How bout a kid goin 2 get a takedown but had 2 b stopped bcuz the mats were so close the other 2 wrestlers on the other mat interfered when they went out of bounds?(now I knw that still happens) How bout the stompin threw the mud to get to Bob's?(However I never did bcuz I paid to park on the cement) and this is all cement. (Common complaint in the last years) What we make of the Quest is what state will again become. Did any1 try to start the wave this year??? Did the girls on the floor try 2 get anything goin? (Maybe they couldn't?) Until we take the positives, and take the negatives and make them into positives state will be what it will be. Whether Linc. builds a new place and state moves there we will hav the same price issues. I personally don't care where it is as long as I am there!!! I'm there to watch a great sport n I guess I'm one of those planners who knows what is going to cost me and plan for it. I'm there for the kids and hope there comfortable therefore they are the ones wrestling not me!!
Rookie
quote:
I think the attendance at the state tournament should be a concern for all true wrestling fans. This thread has brought out many theories as to why attendance is down. Those theories fall into 2 categories, fluff and meat. Some people use fluff theories to advance their cause when they hate someone or something. The George Bush haters are convinced that AlQueda would never have attacked on 9/11 if Bush had not been in office and that Bush is responsible for the New Orleans floods. On the other side of that coin the Bill Clinton haters know that he caused the tsunami in Indo China and that the rise in the price of haircuts is directly tied to him.

The Qwest haters, many of whom started their tirade against Qwest as soon as it was selected, before they had been in the building, are offering some fine fluff.

PRICES OF FOOD ARE TOO HIGH. No one will disagree. It is highway robbery to ask $5.00 for a hot dog. That same hot dog is probably $4.75 at a Husker football game. Are people going to stay away from the state tournament for a quarter? Check concession prices at any Major League baseball or NFL venue.

THE PRICE OF TICKETS IS TOO HIGH BECAUSE OF TICKET MASTER AND THE SEAT TAX. The Ticket Master situation will be addressed in my final point. The Qwest Center was not built with donated materials and voluntary labor. It costs a huge amount of money to build and to operate a facility that can attract national championships in volleyball and wrestling, the Olympic swim trials, regional basketball tournaments and a multitude of concerts and other cultural events. The seat tax helps pay for some of those costs. Before you write a post saying that you don't go to any of those events, think about whether you might be one of these people: "I don't read books so none of my tax money should go to support the libraries or schools". Or, "I never fly so we can eliminate all of the airports".

OUR SEATS ARE ALWAYS UP IN THE NOSE BLEED SECTION. It's interesting that some of the same posters who complain about being so high up are also complaining about the smaller attendance. Why didn't they move down to lower seats that had to be open if the house wasn't full? More about this later.

OMAHA PEOPLE DON'T TREAT US WELL. The haters are trying to turn this into a Qwest Vs Devanney, Omaha vs Lincoln, city vs small town, or panhandle vs Eastern Nebraska forum. It's none of these, it's an attitude problem. As one of your wrestlers is going out on the mat try telling him, "You'll get pinned". He probably won't let you down. I grew up on a farm, attended high school in a town of 2,000, lived in a town of 500 people, lived in towns of 10,000 to 50,000 and now live in Omaha. In every one of those towns about 2-3% of the population were jerks and the other 97-98% were great people. Our son's first job after college was teaching and coaching 8 man football at Wheeler Central in Bartlett. My wife and I attended nearly all of their games. We often stayed over on Friday night and then took a different route home each Saturday. We went church hopping. There are some beautiful churches in many of the small towns, or free standing in the country. We really enjoyed going in and looking them over. After the church tour we would head to a local bar and grill for a hamburger and conversation and maybe watch the Huskers on TV. We met a lot of people. About 97-98% were great people, about 2-3% were jerks. If we had walked in with the attitude, "We're from Omaha and I suppose you jerks are going to mistreat us," they probably wouldn't have let us down. We would have walked out of there complaining that they were all a bunch of jerks.

WE CAN'T HANG OUR BANNERS. As I mentioned earlier, it takes a huge amount of money to operate a facility like the Qwest Center. Much of that revenue comes from advertising. Want to hang your banner next year? You can. Pick out the space where you would like to hang it, then go to Qwest and tell them that you want to outbid the current advertiser for that space.

Now, to some of the meaty problems.

THE ECONOMY IS KEEPING A LOT OF PEOPLE HOME. I think that's probably true, but maybe in a way that you hadn't considered before. More about that later.

ATTENDANCE IS DOWN BECAUSE THE NUMBER OF WRESTLERS IS DOWN. I don't mean the number of qualifiers, that will always be 896. GoeckeS gave the theory that each wrestler brings 10 fans to the state tournament. It doesn't matter if 10 is exactly correct. The principle is what is important. If we use that number and you have 35 wrestlers on your team your school will bring 350 people to state. If your team drops to 25 wrestlers your school will bring 250 people to state. Multiply that 100 person decrease by the number of teams in the Nebraska and you have a serious attendance problem. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. In general, state tournament fans fall into 2 categories, temporary and permanent. The temporary fans are those who follow wrestling while their kids, friends of the family, cousins, etc. are wrestling. When those kids graduate most of them stop being fans. The permanent fans are those Genuine, Grade A, Black Belt, bleacher butts who get hooked on the sport and continue to be fans whether they have family or friends wrestling or not. Here is the hiden part of the equation. I didn't have a chance to call GockeS to give me a statistic so I'll make up my own. (72.9% of all statistics are made up on the spot, including this one.) Let's assume that 10% of all temporary fans get bitten in the neck by the wrestling werewolves and become permanent fans. If your school has 350 temporary fans it's going to create 35 permanent fans. If team size drops to 25 you will create 25 permanent fans. Multiply that 10 fan reduction times all of the schools in Nebraska AND THEN MULTIPLY IT BY 5, 10, 15, 20 YEARS. I don't have any proof that participation is down but it seems that way to me. It seems that every year I see more and more open weights. Coaches, does NSAA put out lists of wrestlers who have certified their weights? And, if so, are any of you packrats enough to keep them from year to year. Or, post on here the approximate size of your school and number of wrestlers and then the the same info for ___ years ago when you started at that school.

In the absence of concrete info please humor me and agree that participation levels are down.

WHY ARE NUMBERS DOWN?

A couple of posts farther up this thread say that the economy is keeping people home from the state tournament. That is probably true but there's more to it that we will feel after the economy turns around. Suppose that a family has a freshman who had a very mediocre junior high career. They may discourage him from going out for wrestling this year because the money for wrestling shoes, workout gear, and travel for practices and meets could be spent elsewhere. When that kid didn't come out for wrestling that took away 10 temporary fans, one of whom would have become a permanent fan.

Maybe some kids who have been in high intensity wrestling programs since kindergarten are just tired of the sport. I have no doubt that those programs have produced some great champions. But I wonder if they have also run off some late bloomers who may have been high school champions. I'm not bilingual so I can't spell or pronounce his name but everyone will know who I'm talking about when I say the heavyweight from UNK. He is probably the best college heavyweight in the country, regardless of division. He started wrestling either as a sophomore or junior in high school. I watched Aaron Denson wrestle in the state tournament and pole vault in the state track meet. He was also a fine football player for Millard South. I think they qualified for the playoffs, but am not sure. If he had picked one sport and worked on it year round he probably would have been better in that sport than he was when was in three sports. But he would have missed the great experience in the other two sports. And, on the other hand he may have got burned out, walked away, and missed the great experiences in all if the sports.

SO WHAT'S THE SOLUTION? I don't think there is a quick fix but the best place to get a start would be for all of us to accentuate the positive. I read in an earlier post that the accoustics were so bad that the poster couldn't hear anything during the Parade of Champions. I'm nearly deaf so I'm not qualified to judge the accoustics. Many of the top musicians and singers, who can basically name their price and venue, have performed at Qwest, or are booked to appear in the future. It seems strange that they would risk their reputation by playing in a venue with bad accoustics. If everybody picks out a couple of piddly diddly things they don't like and go bad to their communities and complain about them that will hurt attendance. If you go back and tell people that it's a great venue where mats are laid out without curling up on the walls, and you can see the entire mat even if it's on the same side of the floor that you are on, then attendance will go up.

WHO NEEDS TO IMPROVE? There are lots of groups that need to improve. Qwest needs to train their employees in the arts of public relations and customer satisfaction. This is true of every business in the country. Personally, I have never had a problem with a Qwest employee. But then I never went there expecting to have problems.
I have never able to get a handle on the structure of Nebraska High School wrestling. I don't know who calls the shots and how they decide. I know that the Board of Control is involved. I don't know where they get their information for decision making but I assume it's given to them by the NSAA. It doesn't appear to me that NSAA bends over backward to promote or support wrestling. Perhaps I'm being unfair. Maybe they have adopted the duck on the pond philosophy, "Remain calm on the surface and paddle like hell underwater". I don't know where NSAA gets its information for decision making. The fans could help by writing letters to their Board of Control representative, with a carbon copy to NSAA, expressing their concerns about problems that you think need to to be corrected. I don't mean fluff, like, "The handles on the spoons at the Dippy Dots stand are too short". I mean meat, like, Does NSAA need to outsource the sales and allocations of tickets to Ticket Master? Are there alternatives that would be more fair and less costly to the fans?

Now let's jump on one of my favorite groups of people, the coaches. When I have asked many of them how much influence the coaches have in shaping wrestling policies I usually hear that is slim or none. I get the same answer when I ask how much influence the Nebraska State Wrestling Coaches Association can exert. I don't think we should become a clone of another state but I think that if another state is doing something that works well we should look at it to see if we can pick up an idea that would help us. When I coached in Iowa I was a member of the Iowa High School Wrestling Coaches and OFFICIALS Association. I don't know if all coaches and officials belonged but I didn't know of any that didn't belong. At the district tournaments we had a brief meeting to discuss the concerns that we had and try to prioritze them. After the Saturday weigh ins at the state tournament we had a breakfast. I would guess that over 90% of the coaches and 50% of the officials were there. We elected the Coach of the Year, the Assistant Coach of the Year, the Junior High Coach of the Year, and the Official of the Year. Most years we elected the Contributor of the Year. It may have been a team doctor, a timer or scorekeeper who never missed a meet, or a mother who went to the hospital, gave birth to one of her twins, checked out of the hospital to watch the meet, then went back to the hospital to deliver the other twin. (That didn't happen very often.) That night, before the Grand March, we presented the awards. These presentations are shown on the telecast of the state toutnament.

About a month after the state tournament the coaches of the 24 district championship teams (8 districts in each of the 3 classes) met with the Board of Control and IHSAA officials to discuss problems and shape the future of our sport. We never got everything that we wanted, but we always seemed to get a little bit. When I have talked with coaches about this I often hear, "NSAA would never agree to that". Most of us are programmed to say,"No" without having a real reason to say, No". Our kids don't think we mean, "No". They think that "No" just means that we don't understand the question. So they ask it again, in a slightly different way. After about 12 rounds we often think a little deeper and decide, "Maybe there is no reason for us to say, "No". We can learn from our kids.

I'm getting off my soap box now. Give me a minute to get hidden behind it and then let the rotten tomatoes fly.

Nice Very nice but lets get to the point. poeple dont want if for there own selfish reasons and there wrong. It shold be for the kids and the safty of the kids and not all this other bs. The Quest is safer for the kids and thats [pretty much the onloy point so get over all the other stuff and remember why we are here.
Rookie
Just to give you guys an idea of how things work elsewhere, we just finished our state meet here in Colorado. We also set an attendance record for the umpteentht year in a row.

To compare your plight to ours, you have Qwest Center, we have Pepsi Center. Our tickets per session were $15. Our parking within walking distance was $10, $20 close to the door. Hamburger $6.50, drink (soda, water, etc.) $4.00, Pretzel w/cheese $6.50. Seems to be close to what you are paying in a similar sized arena. And yes, we had the bag searches for illegal water bottles and the like.

You think Omaha traffic is bad, try Denver in rush hour trying to make an 8am weigh in downtown. That takes some creative driving skills to say the least. Our hotel was $120 a night including a nice buffet breakfast, about 10 min from the arena. So I don't think price is the issue.

Non interesting team races, maybe, but here Ponderosa has won the past 6 titles in 5A going away and it doesn't seem to be changing in the near future. Alamosa has won 4A more times than I can count and would have won it this year if they didn't have 2 big guns ineligible the week before regionals. Roosevelt went wire to wire in 3A by over 50 points. So I don't think that's it.

Fuel at $3 a gallon, maybe, but getting from the Four Corners area to Denver is an 400mi trip through the mountains. I didn't see any less people from the outer edges of our state due to fuel prices. About the same mileage as Alliance to Omaha (with no mountains!).

We do split the tournament per se, by having 2A/3A sessions separate from the 4A/5A sessions at least until the semis. We run 10 mats with plenty of room on the floor. Similar set up to yours.

Ok, enough comparisons and back to the original question. Why are we increasing attendance and you are decreasing? I really don't have an answer. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the reasons given here don't wash. Prices at the arena, cost of lodging and travel, Omaha doesn't care, demographics have changed, etc. The same things occur at state meets all over the country.

I have been to the state meet in Lincoln many times. I took my sons down there every year when we lived in Omaha. It had a "down home" feel to it. I haven't been to the Qwest since we moved out here before they moved state to Omaha, but I'm sure Pepsi Center has the same "corporate" almost "institutional" feel that the Qwest does.

Maybe that's it. It just doesn't "feel like home". Lincoln was like a giant class reunion for everyone. Its gonna take a lot of work to get Omaha to feel the same way. It happened in Denver and it can happen in Omaha. Its just gonna take some work and cooperation on all sides.