Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    State Duals Proposal
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
State Duals Proposal Login/Join

Novice
Picture of Gocke_Dojo
posted   Report This Post  
Just got word from our AD that the State Duals Proposal passed in our NSAA district 2 meeting today.

Curtis Gocke
Asst. Coach Plattsmouth High School
USA Nebraska Secretary/Treasurer
Junior High
Picture of Vader
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Good news! What is that, hurdle #3 cleared now? What is the next step?
Novice
The proposal also passed in District III
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
This is great news! So far the results are:

District 1 - Not submitted
District 2 - Passed
District 3 - Passed
District 4 - Passed
District 5 - Submitted, have not heard the results
District 6 - Submitted, have not heard the results

This is the first hurdle and the way the results are things look good. The second step is that it goes back to all six districts for a vote at their winter meetings and must pass in three districts. The third step is 5 out of 12 members on the Legislative Commission must recommend sending it to the Rep Assembly. The final step would be the Rep Assembly in April, must pass by 3 out of 5 vote. This is a great sign but it is not over.

We won the first period and have a lead, but there are two periods plus overtime left. We cannot let up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Badger,
Junior High
Picture of Vader
quote:
Originally posted by Badger:
This is great news! So far the results are:

District 1 - Not submitted
District 2 - Passed
District 3 - Passed
District 4 - Passed
District 5 - Submitted, have not heard the results
District 6 - Submitted, have not heard the results

This is the first hurdle and the way the results are things look good. The second step is that it goes back to all six districts for a vote at their winter meetings and must pass in three districts. The final step would be the Rep Assembly in April. This is a great sign but it is not over.

We won the first period and have a lead, but there are two periods left. We cannot let up.

According to Gable, if we have the conditioning and the heart, we should prevail.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
Can't we just use 'the force'? That is what Luke did, and it worked for him!

Rick Henry

Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
What does the proposal entail?
Junior High
Picture of Vader
I'm not sure who has to vote on the issue next, but Jedi mind tricks only work on the "weak minded".
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
Is it OK that I just got a visual from 'Space Balls'? Comb the desert!

Rick Henry

Rookie
I just spoke to our AD and she told me one of the concerns was the cost of another trip for the far west schools. I know this is still in the "tweeking" stages, but could it be moved to a central location like GI or UNK??
Junior High
Picture of Cornfed
grand island has a pretty good facility. our ad was pretty hesitant because of the extra trip. cutting 100 miles off would sure help.
Junior High
Kearney has some nice venues to wrestle in, too.... Coach Bauer might be interested in assisting with this.

I know Cornfed that Kearney is only east central nebraska, but doubt that North Platte has a place big enough.

Relentless
Novice
Our AD said that there was discussion about taking the top 2 district placing teams and having those qualify for the state dual tournament. He asked if there would be a better way to get the top duals teams to state. I told him that many that have been working with this proposal feel this way of qualifying would allow for the least amount of changing the current schedules around. It would be nice to have a better qualifying system. I am not sure what that would be.
Junior High
Picture of Cornfed
just to make it fair since we have to travel to omaha for state how about we hold it out here in scottsbluff? for a qualifier lets get rid of the conference meets and have a district dual tournament the week before our current districts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cornfed,
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
The NSAA bids out its state tournaments so Scottsbluff can bid on it. I would be happy to drive out there if the proposal passed and were lucky enough to qualify. I have been out there several times and it is beautiful out there.

We could not include a venue in the proposal because the NSAA does bid out its state tournaments. However, in our initial discussions we talked about the Heartland Events Center in Grand Island as a great facility. Kearney would also be a great option. I would also expect Lincoln to put a bid in.

District dual qualifiers would be the ideal situation. However, to improve chances on getting this passed we needed to look at causing the least amount of disruption in the current season. The suggested qualifying process is to take the four district champions and include four wild cards based on a point system that includes District and State points earned. Not a perfect system but we looked at multiple scenarios. This seemed to be the fairest and does not create any disruption in the current season.

I said suggested because in reality the proposal is simply "the eight teams in each class that qualify to the State Dual Tournament will have their season extended by one week to the end of the State Dual Tournament."
NCAA Champion
Well if all the HS tournaments were on trackwrestling you could probably figure out who the best teams are based on head to head at tournaments throughout the year. Some would even have had a dual already....you could use that outcome as top criteria. Especially if you go by districts...most wrestlers have meet each other at least once. The only thing you would be missing is a little bit of shuffling around that might make a difference in the dual outcome.
Rookie
Ok. Stupid question here but would the wrestlers have to compete at the same weight they were at the individual district tourney? I'd like to see who has the best dual team, not which coach is the best strategist or who wins the coin flip. No offense to those coaches who are good at that. BTW I thought this before our conference dual tourney.
Junior High
Picture of Cornfed
the strategy is what makes duals interesting. otherwise we can just use the tournament results and do the math. just my 2 cents
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Just so you know, Cornfed -- where the tournament is held won't be based on "fairness"...it will be on which city offers the NSAA the most financially attractive offer. The NSAA has to make money on it in order for a city to serve as host site, and the chamber of commerce with the biggest number wins. I'm all for having it out west as well, but Scottsbluff (or North Platte) will have to make an offer the NSAA can't refuse to get it out there.

I think it's a great proposal and LONG overdue. Good to see there are some people within the NSAA's districts who are warming up to the sport enough to recognize its uniqueness as an individual AND team sport.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
Obviuosly the NSAA doesn't always make the best choices. The attendance was down 19% for State Volleyball. That is not a very attrative ROI for moving the turnament.

I think a lot of things will have to change in the way tournaments are done to accomidate a state dual tournament. We need to see a higher participation level in the lower classes. How many C and D teams have full rosters? Do you really want to see a state champion decided on byes? Most states that have state dual tournaments are dual-centric. Kids in TX get twice the matches kids get in NE, because all they have is quads and dual tournaments. In MN their team champion is determined by the state dual tournament. They do not keep team score for the regular tournament.