Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  The Back 9    Two more years. Whew.....
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two more years. Whew..... Login/Join

Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
RR your sense of humor never ceases to amaze me! But we might also ponder this one!

Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that.
George Carlin

hawk

quote:
Originally posted by hawk:
RR your sense of humor never ceases to amaze me! But we might also ponder this one!

Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that.
George Carlin

I ain't even gonna come back with the "Seven Dirty Words"...
Ahhh what the hay

Dern filters...

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Hey...don't forget:

$)%(*$%&%^$

!#$()*&)}{{

and, my personal favorite...

~(*^&

You're really not using "colorful" language until you start dropping those classics like a hot potato...

And you're right, RR...Internet filters DO %)*(^#@%(*.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
Something for our liberal friends to ponder!

Seriously..THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A MOMENT

North Dakota News

This text is from a county emergency manager out in the western part of
North Dakota state after a snow storm last winter.

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here in the Northern Plains we just recovered from a Historic
event---
may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a
historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that
broke
trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of
motorists in
lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and
cut
power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come.

FEMA did nothing.

No one howled for the government.

No one blamed the government.

No one even uttered an expletive on TV.

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.

Our Mayor's did not blame Bush or anyone else.

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else either

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX, or NBC did not visit - or report on this category 5
snow
storm nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything either.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Reilly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No
Geraldo
Rivera.

No Sean Penn, No Barbara Streisand, No Hollywood types to be found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled people out of snow b anks and didn't ask for a
penny.

Local restaurants made food, and the police and fire departments
delivered
it to the snow bound families..

Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.

We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman
lanterns.

We put on an extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or
Die".

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of
a
mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades
votes for
'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this
early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 48
degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate."

It does seem that way, at least to me.

I hope this gets passed on..

Maybe, SOME people will get the message .. The world does NOT owe you a
thing!

hawk

Junior High
Picture of Red Sox
Quote from NWI:

SilverHwk...I did question why Bush didn't just flatten the entire Middle East and write a letter to Kim Jong Il and that nutjob in Iran saying, "You want some of that, too???"

I cannot believe that someone would actually write something like that. Killing millions of innocent people to send a "message" is something that a civilized nation should do. Yeah right.... Something that you conservatives don't realize is that once America drops nuclear bombs on other nations, there's a good chance it's gonna happen back to us. Are all of you conservatives that write on this site ready to get off of your behinds and pick up a weapon to go fight? I highly doubt that. Its the young men and women that will fight the next war, not the men that are in their late thirties on up. You won't have to. You will already be out of the draft window. You can keep running your mouths about your beliefs and have to do nothing for them. Its different if a man that has already served this country says something about attacking another nation because he already has been through the fire. Its another thing entirely if a man that has never served this country goes off and says we need to nuke nations to send a "message". I don't run my mouth about attacking nations because I do not want that to happen, but yet I'm young enough to go serve if my number was called. Its amazing the things that are said when your individual life is not on the line....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red Sox,

Chad Mattox
Junior High
Picture of Red Sox
Quote from NWI:

And after that, he could have just lined up troops along the Mexican border and shot anything -- or anyone -- that stepped one foot inside the imaginary line. If nothing else, it would get the illegals to take an alternate route...like maybe swimming up the Pacific coast to Seattle (although this policy may indirectly affect the price of lettuce, which would drive up the cost of our chalupas at Taco Bell).

Where do I begin with this load of crap? Lets just kill people for wanting a better life. You know, its interesting to want to rid America of all of these illegal immigrants, but no one wants to do the jobs that they do. Have you went and worked in packing plants for the wages they earn? Have you went and picked fruits and vegetables all day? I highly doubt it. Also, back when the "white" ancestors of this country came over here, there were no immigration procedures when the Puritans and the Virginia company people came here. They simply just had to have a way to get here and some money to start off with. When the Irish, Germans, and other people of Europe came over in the 1840's, 1850's, and 1860's, there was an immigration station here in America called Ellis Island. You had to show that you could work, had some money in your pocket, and prove that you weren't a criminal. Why don't we have a station like that today???? Whatever, its not even worth posting information on this site about the other side of the political spectrum because it gets completely slammed. I hope I get called "weak" and that I have "no backbone" for my beliefs because I'm on the other side. That would be fitting.......

Chad Mattox
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Hey Red Sox...did the word "sarcasm" ever enter into your mind before you posted here???

Some people take their politics WAAAAAAAY too serious...sheesh.

Junior High
Picture of Red Sox
Its "sarcasm" when someone calls your bluff.......I see how it works.....

Chad Mattox
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Read the WHOLE post, sparky...and lighten up.

You have to be a moron not to realize that dropping "the big one" would have worldwide repercussions. And while the illegals are doing work others wouldn't do, we still need to protect our borders because Al Qaeda IS using Mexico as a point of entry into our country.

But my comments WERE made in jest, and if you're too narrow-minded to see it for what it is and are taking it another way...that's not my problem.

Junior High
Picture of Red Sox
I'm not going to get into a war of words with you because we all know how that ends, but you as a journalist should know when you do post something for all to see, it can be taken many ways. I did read your whole post, and I just responded to what I saw, as did you with your response to me. I suppose I'll just agree to disagree and let it be just that. I guess that is why we have two realms of political thought in this country. I'm glad that we do have two, instead of one.

Chad Mattox
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
Red Sox:
I remember when Mikey posted that. It was right after that horrible incident when, I think it was a journalist, (I regret that I forget his name) was beheaded and it was posted on the internet. The only difference was he suggested a "carpet-bombing" of the entire region. I highly doubt that at that time, it was typed in jest or with sarcasm. In any case, it made for a great discussion when the Islamic Speaker's Bureau came. They, the students, and the rest of the Social Studies and World Language Departments at LSW were highly impressed with this particularly high level of thinking.

I also remember that shortly thereafter, Mikey admitted that he had a problem with alcohol, and I figured that attitude had something to do with the negative effects of it. Maybe not?
Junior High
Picture of Red Sox
Perhaps you are correct....Who is to say?

Also, I'd like to comment on Hawk's post comparing North Dakota's blizzard to Hurricane Katrina. The people from the Northern states obviously are tough and hard nosed, they deal with weather that a lot of us cannot imagine. There is NO debating that. But to compare a blizzard to a hurricane? I don't know if those are the same things...And to imply that "liberals" demanded help from the government after the hurricane is stretching it pretty far. I'm sure that there were some "conservatives" that asked for some help when Hurricane Katrina came through. Are we to have no programs to help the needy and broken down in our country? Think about it. What type of place would we live in if there was no assistance to anyone? Of course there are some people tha abuse the "system" that we have in place, but isn't that the case with everything? Are there a lot more good people than bad? Yes. But who gets the publicity? The BAD. Imagine that. You can't possibly tell me that the people of New Orleans didn't reach out and help one another during this tragedy like the people of North Dakota did. Maybe it wasn't to the extreme that North Dakota did, but how can we accurately judge that? Who knows? All I know is that there are always two sides to things, and often on this website when it comes to politics, only one side, the "right" side comes up. I've finally had enough and I'm going to do my best to show both sides.

Chad Mattox
World Champion
Picture of NWI
A lot different situation, SH...when somebody in my profession is murdered, I get a little bit hot, regardless of my state of sobriety.

We could, of course, do as some of the big liberals would like and just leave Iraq and allow the war to be fought here instead, where no doubt thousands more Americans -- journalists, teachers, mothers, innocent children -- would be beheaded, tortured, beaten, raped and viciously murdered by those who wish for our entire nation and our entire way of life to be evaporated...

But what do I know? I'm just an alcoholic journalist with a tendency toward sarcasm...

Rookie
Picture of Cschumacher
Hawk,
Who ever sent you that email from ND must not of been up there in the winter and spring of 96-97. I lived in ND and had the flood in my house in GrandForks. My Mother-in-law lived in EGF, MN and I had to evacuate her also.
I remmember the cities, towns, villages in ND and Minnesota that had been affected by the blizzards and floods crying for help from the Federal gov't. I remember Clinton (I remember he was on crutches at the time) coming to the airbase I was at to tell us assistance was on the way (yes the house I was in had water and I had to look for help also). I managed a bar and grill at the time (college full time also) and I remember all the businesses in GF and EGF looking for help from the SBA and the Gov't. We (my family and the business) cleaned out our houses, took the money and rebuilt like many other people in many other places.
Did some adapt and overcome on their own during parts of the flooding process? Yes. But I am guessing whom ever is in this kind of perdicament reacts in many different ways. Do I fault anyone for the way they reacted or did not react? No. That is what happens during times of stress. Remember people handle stress in many ways. Some look for help others do what they can.
Who ever wrote that email must not ever remember those events or they are a conservative person or group who is looking to makes other groups (moderates to liberals) look bad.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cschumacher,
Rookie
Picture of Cschumacher
Couple of other things I thought of as I reread the ND email.
I saw so many FEMA trailers on land that the cities picked for them to be set up. Later the cities used this land (had been planning for a while) for new schools and built housing on it (already had the infastucture by the fed gov't).
Many news agencies came to town, if you don't remember I was even interviewed (had hair then and was a little thinner), to talk about the problems and what was going on. That was when the Republicans had taken the Congress over and would not pass a bill to help with the flood relief w/o adding riders on to the bills for their own states which had nothing to do with the flood relief. Clinton even threatened to veto any bill put forth that did not deal with the flood recovery only. Took months but one was signed. My mind is slipping but I think he had to negotiate one with riders anyway.
Many people from Fargo to the Canadian border blaimed everybody but themselves for not listening to the river crests. Yes they were higher than predicted but those in flood prone areas still did not think they should take their belongings out of their houses and many lost everything. I was lucky and only lost things in my basement and 1 room that was ground level. I was out sandbagging since early morning and got home around 2:00pm to eat something when the cops came through and ordered a manditory evac and I did not have enough time to get my things up higher in the house. Of course in the last flood up there my house had been dry so I never thought it would be that bad. Still I loaded up the wife and kids and went to one of the evac centers at a high school. Did I want to be cared for? No but I needed to go some place and we did take the help.
So does the problems faced by others in New Orleans or Florida or any where a disaster happens bother me. No, I have seen the best (lived with a family we knew for months and put the kids in school that gave us many things to help us out in Hatton ND) and the worst in people (still remember my neigbor and I having a hell of a time getting gas and food from stores before we left GF). Heard about looting and stealing, never was near me.
Also if you don't know ND is one of the states that recieves more federal dollars than it pays in. At one time while I was in college they were the highest state. I asked one of my government teachers, Lloyd Ohmdahl who had been the Lt governor for 4 years, why ND recieved so much and he stated because no one turns down money they think is given to them especially citiesand towns (of course he also said having strong congressmen in office helped).
Also one of the sayings I saw on many t-shirts and bumperstickers up there is a picture of a latin american with the saying 40 degrees below keeps the riff raff out. What do you think they ment by that?
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
Since my last post was censored, let me just try to bury the hatchet and agree with Mike that genocide is truly a laughing matter: the subject of countless hilarious stories from the past, and should always be the subject of sarcasm and back-handed comments. Nothing gives me a good belly laugh like thinking of exterminating an entire race of people. Mike, you're the next Dane Cook!
Junior High
Picture of Red Sox
I'm glad that finally some people on here are standing up to the ultra-conservative rhetoric on this board.

Chad Mattox
Junior High
Picture of PitBullJim
A History Lesson

Humans existed as members of small bands of nomadic hunter/gatherers. They lived on deer in the mountains during the summer & would go to the coast and live on fish and lobster in winter.

The two most important events in all of history were the invention of beer and the invention of the wheel. The wheel was invented to get man to the beer. These were the foundation of modern civilization and together were the catalyst for the splitting of humanity into two distinct subgroups: Liberals and Conservatives.

Once beer was discovered it required grain and that was the beginning of agriculture. Neither the glass bottle nor aluminum can were invented yet, so while our early human ancestors were sitting around waiting for them to be invented, they just stayed close to the brewery. That's how villages were formed.

Some men spent their days tracking and killing animals to BBQ at night while they were drinking beer. This was the beginning of what is known as "the Conservative movement."

Other men who were weaker and less skilled at hunting learned to live off the conservatives by showing up for the nightly BBQs and doing the sewing, fetching and hair dressing. This was the beginning of the Liberal movement. Some of these liberal men eventually evolved into women. The rest became known as 'girliemen.'

Some noteworthy liberal achievements include the domestication of cats, the invention of group therapy and group hugs and the concept of Democratic voting to decide how to divide the meat and beer that conservatives provided.

Over the years conservatives came to be symbolized by the largest, most powerful land animal on earth, the elephant. Liberals are symbolized by the jackass.

Modern liberals like imported beer (with lime added), but most prefer white wine or imported bottled water. They eat raw fish but like their beef well done. Sushi, tofu, and French food are standard liberal fare.

Another interesting revolutionary side note: most of their women have higher testosterone levels than their men. Most social workers, personal injury attorneys, journalists, dreamers in Hollywood and group therapists are liberals. Liberals invented the designated hitter rule because it wasn't "fair" to make the pitcher also bat.

Conservatives drink domestic beer. They eat red meat and still provide for their women. Conservatives are big-game hunters, rodeo cowboys, lumberjacks, construction workers, firemen, medical doctors, police officers, corporate executives, Marines, athletes and generally anyone who works productively. Conservatives who own companies hire other conservatives who want to work for a living.

Liberals produce little or nothing. They like to "govern" the producers and decide what to do with the production. Liberals believe Europeans are more enlightened than Americans. That is why most of the liberals remained in Europe when conservatives were coming to America. They crept in after the Wild West was tame and created a business of trying to get MORE for nothing.

Here ends today's lesson in world history!

It should be noted that a Liberal may have a momentary urge to respond to the above before simply laughing and forwarding it. A Conservative will be so convinced of the absolute truth of this history that it will be forwarded immediately
Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
Braveheart
That is incredibly funny! Thanks for the laugh! I could not copy and paste fast enough this morning! I have already gotten 2 responses from my Liberal friends and they found this VERY HUMOROUS!

HAPPY TURKEY DAY
AND REMEMBER THOSE SERVING OUR COUNTRY THAT CANNOT BE WITH LOVED ONES!

GO HUSKERS mmmmmm Buffalo Meat I think I might go gather some for the BBQ!

hawk

Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
Braveheart-
Good stuff! Don't like the raw fish, but can't stay from the German beer--best in the world!

Especially with buffalo......

Happy Thanksgiving, and I second Hawk's thoughts! Go Big Red! Remember the troops!