Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Grade the Qwest
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Grade the Qwest Login/Join

State Qualifier
posted   Report This Post  
I know most are thinking 'here we go again' but since it is fresh in our memory,I'll give you my feelings:

I absolutely hate it! Clear enough? I thought I was in the minority, but the more coaches I talk to, the more i realize it is the other way around.We actually were told if we wanted a wrestler taped by their training staff, we needed to provide the tape.
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Our coach had an incident there over the weekend as well. His wrestler was on deck on the far end (South end?) and he walked across the line to use the restroom in the corner. When he tried to come back in that way, despite his wrestler being on deck and standing less than 10 feet away, he was denied entrance and forced to walk all the way around to the main entrance of the arena and nearly missed the start of the match.

The main complaints I hear, however, is the outrageous cost of food/drink/parking there.

quote:
Originally posted by panther:
I know most are thinking 'here we go again' but since it is fresh in our memory,I'll give you my feelings:

I absolutely hate it! Clear enough? I thought I was in the minority, but the more coaches I talk to, the more i realize it is the other way around.We actually were told if we wanted a wrestler taped by their training staff, we needed to provide the tape.

It was that way at Devaney too Coach.

My grade, B+

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Rookie
Good to hear from the people that we are there for, the wrestlers! I hate it how the only people who ever talk on this subject are the spectators not the wrestlers. I was a spectator for the first time this year, nothing to complain about. But I HATED the Quest as a wrestler.
Rookie
from what I understood all the participants and referees and table help came in on one end and exited on the other I think that was the procedure laid out by nsaa and everyone had to follow the same guideline.
State Qualifier
I never remember anything like that happening in all the years I was at the Devaney, going back to the 70's, and I'm sure we had plenty guys need taping over the years.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
quote:
Originally posted by panther:

I was unaware that the Qwest Center was providing the training staff for the state tournament. I thought that was the NSAA's responsibility. Am I reading that wrong, Panther???

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
State Qualifier
I actually dont know mike, but it definately is a changed policy.There are many other reasons as well, but sufice it to say I would be glad to see a change.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Rather than building a new State Fair in Grand Island, they should expand Heartland Events Center to seat 20,000 and move it there, then we could all meet in the middle.

(It should be noted that this is my first official complaint about the DISTANCE those in western Nebraska have to drive for state wrestling. After putting 800 miles on my vehicle this past weekend, I am now firmly on the side of those in the western part of the state on this issue, which is moving it to the center of the state.)

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray

It's not a changed policy.

As long as I can remember (and I've been around as long as you Coach) If you wanted taped at the State Tournament, you were to provide the tape.

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
The tape item is talked about in the packet you received when you entered. It clearly states that you need to supply your own tape for the trainers........... right or wrong or tight, that is how its always been.

Rick Henry

Rookie
As a spectator this year I’m going to give the Qwest a B-. I really like the seating but Qwest is almost too large for the amount of people that state wrestling draws. The seats never fill completely and the atmosphere just isn't there. However this year seemed to be better than those of the past. I would like to hear some feedback from some of the wrestlers, I liked wrestling in Davney. State Wrestling in Grand Island would be great but could the town hold the people?
Novice
RR is right on this. It was sent to coaches and is under Information for Coaches on the NSAA web site:

17. A main training room will be set-up in the southwest corner of the lower level of the Qwest Center Omaha. The main training room will be reserved for those individuals needing doctor’s and Certified Athletic Trainer’s attention. COACHES MUST FURNISH THEIR OWN TAPE AND WRAPS which the Certified Athletic Trainers will be happy to apply at the training room.

This was also the rule in Lincoln, but the trainers there almost always gave us tape anyway.
Rookie
honestly? complaining about tape?
Novice
Picture of bccdavid
As a spectator, I give it a A. The view is excellent no matter where you sit. The staff was much more relaxed this year allowing caps on water bottles (yes, I know it's petty, but appreciated), bags without a full body search and the balloons before the finals. Things were much better.

As JacSmith told me, I don't care if they hold it in a barn, I'll be there to watch! Attack!
Rookie
As a fan I give it an A. I have been attending the tourney since late 70's and Qwest is the only building in Nebraska suited for this event.

Also, the qwest employees in the aisle on Thursday and Friday were petty much non existent until the semis and all 4 classes came together. Then they were needed, there are some people who only think of themselves and need to be moved.
State Qualifier
No,the tape thing this year caught me by surprise,but not the main issue.Appearently any taping we needed in the past we did on our own.I know we were taped in Lincoln several times,without providing any tape,though. I'll just say that everything I remember about state in Lincoln, and at the Devaney I enjoyed more than what has been my experience with Omaha and the Qwest.If you've had better experiences, I'm glad to hear it.
Junior Varsity
As long as I was a wrestler and now a coach, they've always stated in the packet that you have to supply your own tape. They didn't always enforce it though. Apparently this year they did. It is not the Qwest, it's the NSAA that supplies the trainers, many of whom have been doing it for years. Now last year I went out one end to use the restroom and wasn't allowed back in. This year, I just asked the guy sitting there if I left to do that, if he'd let me back in. He did every time, in fact was a very nice guy and we chatted off and on through the weekend. In fact he was even paying attention to our matches as he would ask me questions from time to time. Hate to say it, but it's starting to feel like home. Heck it was even warmer this year in the Qwest!
Junior Varsity
Picture of ndb65
Ive had many a complaints over the past few years, but i was happy overall this year..MY GRADE is a B.

We seemed to have good times at the restaurants as well this year, coaches getting free meals and discounted drinks for the whole team at certain restaurants...KEEP IT UP OMAHA!!

Guaranteed LOUDEST guy in the gym!!!!
Junior Varsity
Would have to agree, I'd even give it a B+. We stay a little ways away at 108th and L street. Our hotel gives us free passes to the Golds Gym 2 blocks away. It's great to take the kids there for a workout each day and coaches get to work their eyes out! Wink Heck, even the restaurants in the area knew it was state wrestling this year!