Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Who Are You
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Who Are You Login/Join

Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
posted   Report This Post  
There are a lot of new people on this site and I always enjoyed knowing who was posting . My time is almost over but it would be nice to know who you are and maybe meet you at State .

I am Randy Smith from Gering Nebraska my wife of 32 years is Janna we have three kids all were involved in wrestling as Wrestlers ,Refs,and Coach's . My oldest son is Brandon a 1996 State Champ an graduate of UNL .He has been Coaching Youth , High School , and National level kids for 13 years as well as Refing all three wrestling styles.Brittny is next in age and wrestled before high school she also Refed a lot of Freestyle and Greco maybe the most fair consistant Ref I have seen in these styles she is currently attending UNL .Brock is our youngest he will graduate this year and hopes to wrestle in college and become a Teacher and Wrestling Coach . My Black Lab Kanyee is a duck machine and is looking forward to a lot more ducks next year with no wrestling season woot

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger

Rookie
Picture of ShaneKrim
AIM: Online Status For Kriminal2007
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Im sure no one can guess my name. hah. Im Shane Krim. I wrestle for Bellevue East and it's my senior year. I'm really looking forward to how this season ends. I'm pretty much the only wrestler in my family. I've been a wrestler all my life and love it.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Mike Carnes - former E-Pub of NWI, learned all I know about the sport from watching, listening and writing about some of the greatest PEOPLE in this state...the wrestling family of the Good Life State. Now entering a new field in the world of finance, still trying to figure out what to do with all the free time I've had (I'm driving my 17-year-old daughter nuts being home as much as I have the last few months). Still keep my hands in media-related opportunities on a freelance basis -- have written for W.I.N. and will be doing radio reports at state next week -- and am dabbling with starting an EBay-related business working from home. Other than that, I'm just sitting back and waiting to see what is next on God's agenda for me...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NWI,

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
I am Jim Allen from Plattsmouth, Ne my wife of 20 years is Wendy, we have three kids all who have been a part of our wrestling family. My oldest is Jamie who is currently attending UNO and is a sophomore, is hoping to get accepted into UNMC this next fall for Pharmacy school. She was the head wrestling cheerleader for 2 years in high school and is her brother's biggest critic. She has never wrestled or coached, but I would like to see her in the corner just one time, because she is very well versed in the sport. Justin is my son and has been wrestling since birth. He also plays football, soccer and baseball and can usually beat his old man at golf. He will be graduating next year and hopes to wrestle in college. My youngest is Jenna who is a freshman in high school and is also following the family tradition by being a wrestling manager. Her wrestling career consisted of one tournament where she went 1-2 and finished 3rd. She also plays volleyball and soccer. We also have three dogs Maddie a (Wenner Dog), Cubby a (Pom-a-Chu) and Charlie the (Black Lab) who is the baby of the family and lets everyone know it. Retrieves birds and rabbits really well for only being 10 months old.
Rookie
Quintin Kidd here, husband of Tina... my youngest son Kris is a senior wrestling 189 this year at Conestoga. Kris is thinking about going to college to learn about working with special needs children. My middle son, Kyle, wrestled heavyweight in high school and is playing football in college. He just transferred back home from the University of Sioux Falls to attend Peru State with his girlfriend who plays basketball and softball there. Kyle hopes to coach football and wrestling after college. This is our last year as parents and hopefully we'll get our third trip to state. I was the announcer at the Cougar Classic and Capital Conference tournaments and I'm looking forward to doing more of the same next year.

World Champion
Picture of HB
And just to add...Blue Devil will be helping us broadcast the A&D sessions of the Nebraska State Wrestling Tournament next week.
Rookie
Picture of Tiger Wrestler
Split personalities: Nate, Zach, or Seth Olson. I am a volunteer wrestling coach in Arlington after 3 years of being an assistant. I am in my final semester at UNO working through the K-12 Physical Education program, and I will student teach this fall. Zach is helping coach in Wakefield this year. He is in his 3rd year at Wayne State working on a degree in Computer Information Systems. Seth is a sophomore at 125 for Tekamah. Wrestling is our life and we have been around it since we were born. You see, our mom is the oldest sibling in the "world" renown Braniff family from Tekamah. When we aren't helping at the high school level, we help in Tekamah's youth program where about 10 of our cousins wrestle. We don't post much on here, but we're always looking at the threads. Good luck to all the wrestlers at districts, and we'll see you at state!
Novice
Mason here. Son of a preacher man. Born to be wild! Have been involved with wrestling since the days of Moses and the Pharaoh. Saw God get mad once at a meet because his son got stuck and he could not redeem himself in a true wrestle back for second. God was so mad he threw his staff so hard that it hit Saturn and caused the asteroid to break free that created a Disney Name...Pluto!

Now we have the Disney Duals...so that is who I am and a couple of things I know about the oldest sport of wrestling!

It is rumored that even God loves the OSU Cowboys!

Whooooooooooooo Are You? Who who, who who.......

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red Rocker,

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Junior Varsity
jac smith,fan,i live in central city,my nephew wrestles 171 for loup city
Rookie
Tony Sheldon from Grand Island. I have 3 sons. My oldest is Alex Sheldon who is the 103 lber for the Islanders. My other two sons are 8 & 6 and they haven't really decided if wrestling is in their future yet.
Junior Varsity
Picture of Radio Man
John Kant, 41 yrs. old, currently living in Inman, just 8 miles east of O'Neill. I was born in Nebraska City where I lived with my great aunt until I was 8(my biological parents were not able to care for me, because of medical problems and learning disabilities). I was adopted by my then half-aunt(my biological father's half-sister) and her husband(Bill Kant)back in 1973 and moved to Chadron. I was introduced to wrestling immediately as my adopted dad was the Chadron High Wrestling Coach and ran the kids program(jaycee wrestling at that time). I took an early liking to the sport and was very active in wrestling and officiating. By the time I was about 14 years old, I was a national level federation freestyle official. All four years of my high school wrestling career was cut short with knee injuries(torn ACL), including at districts my senior year in 1983 when Chadron High captured the Class B team title(the school's one and only). I received congressional nominations to attend the Air Force Academy, but was rejected because of my history of knee injuries. I received a 4-yr scholarship to attend CSC, but after one semester, I opted to enter the U.S. Navy's Nuclear Power Program. During my 6 year stint in the Navy, I got back into wrestling by starting a wrestling team on the aircraft carrier(USS Saratoga CV-60) I was stationed on, plus competing in a few tournaments in Florida. I was one match away from making the All-Navy team, but I had to default do to dehydration(lost 7 pounds the night before due to getting false info on the weight classes).

I got out of the Navy in 1990, moved to Denver for 2 years(was a wrestling official and assistant wrestling coach for Wheatridge during that time), then back to Chadron for 2 years, then St. Paul, MN where I attended broadcast school. My first radio job was KBRX-O'Neill(where I met my wife and was assistant coach for O'Neill St. Mary's when they had their own wrestling program), followed by KSYZ-Grand Island, The Fox in Omaha(while I worked at the Cargill ethanol plant in Blair), KSDZ-Gordon, KRGI-Grand Island, KCSR-Chadron, Double Q Country/KCOW Alliance. I spent about 2 years at each location. Along the way, my main focus was getting the sport of wrestling more media coverage. I started doing wrestling play-by-play back in 1982 for KCSR in Chadron and have not missed a year since then. I have attended every state tournament since 1973, and have broadcasted there since 1982. I have also broadcast 3 Husker duals along the way. I am now Corporate Director Of Public Relations for Midwest Ethanol Producers, L.L.C. of O'Neill. I have broadcast a couple of O'Neill wrestling duals for KBRX, and will cover Alliance and Hemingford at state for KCOW-Alliance. My wife's name is Sheila, and we have a 7 yr. old son Johnathan.

Sorry about this being so long, but I figured if I was going to tell you who I was, I would tell you everything I was about. I also thought this may touch someone's memory of knowing me sometime along the way and re-introduce us. Thanks for starting this type of thread up again, Randy. I like to know the person behind the name, rather than existing in total anomynimity(sp?).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Radio Man,
Rookie
The Coach's mom
Live in Ithaca, NE and all five boys have gone to Lincoln Christian. We were introduced to the sport when the oldest son, Tim, was asked by the wrestling coach to try out for the team. Back then he weighed a whopping 85 pounds. He hesitated, but tried and loved it. He qualified for state his sophomore year, got third his JR. Year and won his Sr. year.He is now the coach at LCS. Quintin got 5th, 6th and qualified. Addison got 4th his Jr. year and won with his 100th win at state his Sr. year. He is now in the Marines, trying to get on their wrestling team.Miles got fourth two years and second two years. He had 125 wins by the time he graduated. Westley got second last year as a freshman. We shall see how this year goes as he had mono at Christmas and isn't up to speed. There are two daughters. Heather is an 8th grader and wrestling manager at LCS. She plays soccer for two teams for the Y and catches for her softball team in Mead. Karissa is in 4th grade and has gone to wrestling meets ever since she was a baby. She plays soccer and softball.
Scott, the dad, is a computer programmer and I, Connie, am a stay at home mom. We raise goats which the kids show for 4-H.
Rookie
Ted Witulski originally from Beatrice Nebraska. I also coached at Pius X for five years in the 90s. I live in Colorado Springs now---looking forward to the Schultz tournament this weekend with the largest contingent of foreign wrestlers ever. It should be a great event.

Make sure to follow guys with Husker ties: Brad Vering and Justin Ruiz.
Novice
Henry Aschoff, official for 8 years, now head wrestling coach at LHNE. Father of 4 girls. Married for 15 years. Oldest of 7. 4 boys that all placed at state and 3 girls who all kept book and student managed wrestling. Originally from Osmond.

Coach Aschoff
Rookie
I am new to the site as a member but have read the open discussions for several years. My name is Becky Griffin and my son Kaleb Gillkerson wrestles for Falls City at 285 pounds. He has been wrestling since age 4 and loves it. He is my only son, but his dad and uncle both wrestled in high school and his dad was a state qualifier but didn't place. Hope to see some of you all at State. Kaleb and I went and watched his freshman year and he qualified last year but didn't place. We are hoping he can place this year. Thanks for the topic.
Novice
quote:
Originally posted by fcwrestlingfan:
I am new to the site as a member but have read the open discussions for several years. My name is Becky Griffin and my son Kaleb Gillkerson wrestles for Falls City at 285 pounds. He has been wrestling since age 4 and loves it. He is my only son, but his dad and uncle both wrestled in high school and his dad was a state qualifier but didn't place. Hope to see some of you all at State. Kaleb and I went and watched his freshman year and he qualified last year but didn't place. We are hoping he can place this year. Thanks for the topic.

Becky, welcome to this great site! I was Kaleb's dads coach in high school. I am Larry Munn. I coached wrestling for 25 years, 24 in Falls City. Good luck at district and state. Kaleb is having a great year.
Rookie
Picture of dad189
Steve Mack, father of Burke's 189er, Chris Mack.
Son has qualified for state at 171 (Fr. & So.) and at 189 (Jr.) and will be there as a senior.
Good luck to all at districts and state.
Novice
Picture of stormfan
Kurt Kuhn of Clarks, have three sons and a daughter, my wifes name is Kristen. Brett my oldest son Wrestled for High Plains and was a two time SQ but never placed he is a Pre Pharmacy major at Neb Weseleyan. Travis and Tanner are currently wrestling at High Plains. Travis a senior at 140 and doing pretty well. Tanner a sophomore at 145 doing better than expected. Travis has been a 3-time SQ and 2-time medal winner and hopefully can complete the deal this year. Tanner is looking to be a first time SQ. Emily is in sixth grade and is very active in here own athletics. We all live on a farm northwest of Clarks and enjoy the farm and ranch life.
Junior High
Picture of PitBullJim
Jim Small, married to Donna - we live in Crete for now - father and mother of Jeremy Small, senior this year; Jim Small (the son), graduated in 2005 and placed 6th in state at 160 in his senior year; Jordon Small, the teenage daughter... who we follow to gymnastics, basketball games, softball games, volleyball games, swim meets, dance recitals... all because I and her two brothers will not allow her to wrestle.