Notify
Tools
Rocker Login/Join

NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Here is one of my favorite threads that Rocker started on the BackPage:

https://huskermat.com/eve/forum...57107982/m/525106684

This visual literally made me go home, out of the blue, and let my 9 year old shoot the rifle..... My son and I thank you! I think I may do the same this evening.....

Rick Henry

World Champion
Picture of NWI
Hawk, TK and I made the trip to pay our respects. He passed before we could see him, but we had a chance to talk to his wife and kids and pass on our best wishes - I will post a memory of Mike when I get home tonite but suffice to say Heaven has just picked up a wonderful soul.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
Red Rocker sorry to say I never new you but anyone that loves Sammy and Wrestling as much as you is ok in my book. I believe that the impact you had on so many people is what Sammy meant when he said "There's only one way to rock!!". You poured your heart and soul into what was important to you. Thank you for you contribution to the world.....May you rest Where Eagles Fly.
Novice
Ultimately all of our lives are to short. We are measured by what impact we had in the short time the lord gave us. Coach Fleshmen- all though your life is over, your impact is eternal. Love you coach.
Novice
Sincere condolences to Red Rocker's family and friends. Although I never got to meet him, I always enjoyed reading his posts on Huskermat, his knowledge and wisdom will be sadly missed Frown
Rookie
Picture of outstatefan
you fought the good fight, I always told you to wrestle until the final whistle, this you did

it was an honor and a pleasure to know and work with you

see ya later buddy
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
Very very sad news. I always appreciated the Rocker's wit and wisdom. He will be greatly missed.
Novice
When I meet with Mike last week, I told him that was going to put together a scrapebook of sorts so that his children understood his coaching legacy and his impact on the his "wrestling family." If you have something that you would like to share in this scrapebook, you can email me at von.alavi@yahoo.com.
Rookie
We are often complimented on our wrestling coverage at Power 99/Classic Hits/ESPN Radio,etc in the Tri-Cities. Compliments are always great to hear, but I've always pointed out that if it were not for Mike our coverage would not have ascended to the heights that it has. Mike was an outstanding analyst, knowledgeable, and funny when he needed to be! Now that Mike has ascended to a 'greater height', I say "Bless You, Mike" and 'Thank You'

Prayers to his entire family.

Doug Duda
Junior Varsity
Picture of rmh
So many times I have posted here, thoughts and prayers for families who have suffered a loss. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine a loss that would hit this close to home. My friend has gone home to Jesus. We will all miss him.

My heart and prayers are with Tami, Ty and Carter and with Mike's sister, Toni and her family. Words cannot express.

World Champion
Picture of HB
Rookie
How appropriate HB. Mike would love that. Thanks. Dave Welsh
Junior Varsity
Picture of rmh
Well done, HB.
State Champion
Picture of deano
Sorry to hear this, god has got another good one in heaven. Will be sorely missed! God Bless
World Champion
Picture of NWI
It's 11 p.m., and I'm finally back home after what has been a very emotional day...the wrestling community lost one of its most colorful and passionate personalities, and the physical world lost a tremendous individual, in more ways than can be counted, with the passing Thursday of Mike Fleshman.

Mike was many things to many people. First and foremost, he was one of God's soldiers here on Earth. He was a dedicated husband and a devoted father. He was an avid outdoorsman. He was a passionate coach, a unabashed fan of good classic rock and roll and had one of the quickest wits of anybody I know.

The one thing I'll always remember about Mike, though, was what a wonderful friend he was -- not just to me, but to many people whose lives he touched.

I can't remember exactly where I first met Mike (most likely it was at a meet involving Kearney High during the start-up of NWI), but I always enjoyed his energy and his sense of humor. He was always a load of fun to be around, whether it was in the coaches' meetings before the tournament or during a break in the action.

For me, personally, he showed me friendship at a very dark period in my life, particularly in the months after I shut down NWI and was beating myself up over a lot of heavy things that were going on at that time.

I was thinking about this recently after news that his health was failing hit me...he had called one day, out of the blue, and asked if I'd be interested in seeing Sammy Hagar in Sioux City. He is driving the better part of SIX HOURS to see Sammy, so he's making a weekend out of this and wants to know if I'm along for the ride.

Of course...and we spent the weekend having a total blast. We had a lot of laughs driving up, and the show was more fun than I think I've ever had at a concert (ask me sometime about the "waitress" at that show...unintentional comedy at its best). And it didn't really hit me until the other day -- but that weekend getting away from all the personal hell I had going on in my life at that time was such a release that he made possible out of the goodness of his heart, and I wish I'd have had the opportunity to really tell him how much that road trip meant to me.

We got to see another Sammy show a couple of years later in Council Bluffs, and with Sammy's supergroup, Chickenfoot, releasing an album this year, I was really hoping he and I and some of the other wrestling crazies who enjoy Sammy's music would be able to get together for a crazy guys night out.

Mike's departure from this earth has been a shock to a lot of us. I was among those getting progress updates from he and his sister, and I was under the impression that he was winning the battle. It was a shock, then, to hear earlier this week that he was losing ground quickly, but with the plans he made in the days leading up to his departure, it was clear he was ready to surrender his physical presence here to upgrade to his spiritual utopia in heaven.

Mike leaves behind a tremendously strong wife and two sons that, by looking at them, are going to be outstanding young men because of the path Mike has put them on. He also leaves behind a seemingly limitless number of friends and family whose lives he has touched, over and over again, because of the man he was and the values he exhibited as a husband, parent, brother, coach and friend.

His physical absence here on earth will be tough for us to get used to. We'll miss his brilliant analysis of our sport on the radio and here on Huskermat. We'll miss his goofy personality, his quick wit and his ability to make anybody feel welcome in any circumstance.

God has brought Mike home to make an even bigger difference in the spiritual world than he did in this physical realm. While we grieve his passing, I think we can take comfort in knowing he's going ahead and doing his part to prepare us all for the greatest show of all time...and he'll be right there beside us when we get there.

Thank you, Mike, for what you meant to me and everybody whose lives you touched. You may be gone, but you will not be forgotten. To paraphrase our favorite Red Rocker -- lift him up so high, where eagles fly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NWI,

Rookie
On behalf of Mike's family, thank you so much for the kind words. Mike left it all on the mat and that is all he ever asked his wrestlers to do. Mike introduced me to HM as we called it. I even have a spreadsheet (that should not surprise some of you oldtimers) with the real names of those he knew. I did not post often, but would always come on and check out what the latest scuttle was. I feel I know so many of you having not met you. If you happen to be at either of the services, please come introduce your self to me. I would like to put a face to the screennames.

Mike would be embarrassed by all the "hoopla" as he would call it, but I find it very comforting to come on this site that I spent many an hour voyeuring as he put it and see such admiration and respect for my dear friend and brother.

As one of his classmates said, "Heaven just got a little brighter while earth got a little darker."

Mike is now Where Eagles Fly...
Mike...The music salutes you...
His favorite Red Rocker song

Toni
State Qualifier
Good Man Down

On Thursday, April 7, 2011 the Kearney Community and all of the wrestling community lost a good man to that terrible disease, cancer. Anyone who reads or posts on huskermat.com has seen posts and those hilarious pictures by Red Rocker. Those of us who were fortunate to know him as Mike Fleshman were blessed with a true friend. It was obvious at the first meeting that Mike was an extremely tough man. (Who else, when taking chemotherapy treatments, would go to Wyoming and shoot an elk during the week between two treatments.)

After a short period of time it became just as obvious that as tough as he was on the outside he was that soft on the inside. The pictures and emails of his family screamed out his love for them. His posts before Memorial Day and the Fourth of July showed his pride in, and his love for, his country.

One year at the state tournament I was looking for Mike and saw some Kearney Bearcat wrestlers walking toward me. I stopped them to ask if they knew where I could find Mike. In the course of our conversation I asked how Mike was as a coach. They responded, “Tough, very tough. But a very good coach.” I’m sure that they know that there is a tremendous difference between “tough meanness “ and “tough love”. Mike’s life was built around “tough love.”

As tragic as it is when a good man is struck down in the prime of his life there is one consolation. Mike is a man of tremendous faith in God. I am 100% certain that Mike is in Heaven now, checking to see that the mats are properly taped and the scoreboards are working, all the while belting out Sammy Hager's "Where Eagles Fly".

When God created the oyster He gave it complete security. When the oyster is hungry it opens its shell and lets the current wash food into its mouth. Then the oyster is threatened by an enemy it closes its shell and hopes the shell is strong enough to withstand the enemy’s attempts to open it. The oyster lays its eggs and releases them into the current. Maybe some of them will hatch, survive, and create the next generation of oysters.

When God created the eagle He gave it the instincts to seek out the greatest challenges. The eagle builds its nest in the highest and most rugged rocky crags, where the nest is buffeted by the strongest winds and most vicious storms. The eagle hunts and brings food back to its mate and its babies. It will fight to the death to defend its family.
The eagle, not the oyster, is the symbol of America.

Mike Fleshman, October 12,1963-April 7, 2011. An American Eagle.

Enjoy your Eternal Rewards, Mike. You’ve earned them.
May he Rest In Peace and May Perpetual Light shine upon him.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frank Ryan,
Rookie
I have put together a tribute to 'Red Rocker' for the end of today's 'Doug and Daddy Show'. Please let me know if you like it, or think it is appropriate. Again our show airs from 11-noon on 1460/1550am in the Tri-Cities and espnsuperstation.com.

Thanks.

World Champion
Picture of HB
Thank you Doug. I am listening in and looking forward to your tribute.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Listening as well